Sign in to follow this  
nicobecker37

How do I know my frame rate?

SHIFT + Z

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Hi how can I now the frame rate in FSX? Thanks. Nic
SHIFT + Z
But don't do it! It'll mess your head up. All you really need to know is, is my FSX smooth? Chasing FPSs is a game you can't win.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

But don't do it! It'll mess your head up. All you really need to know is, is my FSX smooth? Chasing FPSs is a game you can't win.
haha that is so true, believe me I am just doing that :)

Spot on! The WORST mistake Microsoft made was including the FPS counter. #1 it is inaccurate. #2 - people who chase FPS do not uinderstand FSX and will never be happy. I haver seen systems clocking 60 - 100FPS but they are choppy as hell. I have also seen systems running at 20fps that are smooth as silk. Guess which one is better. Contrary to some opinions, more FPS does NOT mean better FSX. About the only time that FPS should be looked at is when you are comparing two situations. Ldet's say you always run steady at 20fps and you get a new add-on a/c. IO'd look at the fps then when flying the a/c just to see if there's any kind of a hit. If there is, next thng I look at is - how smooth is the sim? any stutters?, etc. If there are none - they who cares what the fps are. Smooth is smooth - there are no degrees of smoothness, either the sim is smooth or it stutters - a little or a lot - just the same - it's not smooth. Turn off the FPS counter and enjoy FSX. Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Spot on! The WORST mistake Microsoft made was including the FPS counter. #1 it is inaccurate. #2 - people who chase FPS do not uinderstand FSX and will never be happy. I haver seen systems clocking 60 - 100FPS but they are choppy as hell. I have also seen systems running at 20fps that are smooth as silk. Guess which one is better. Contrary to some opinions, more FPS does NOT mean better FSX. About the only time that FPS should be looked at is when you are comparing two situations. Ldet's say you always run steady at 20fps and you get a new add-on a/c. IO'd look at the fps then when flying the a/c just to see if there's any kind of a hit. If there is, next thng I look at is - how smooth is the sim? any stutters?, etc. If there are none - they who cares what the fps are. Smooth is smooth - there are no degrees of smoothness, either the sim is smooth or it stutters - a little or a lot - just the same - it's not smooth. Turn off the FPS counter and enjoy FSX. Vic
Vic, are you sure the FPS in accurate as even I was wondering about it . Ohh ppl get 60-100 still get choppyness

Ironmaiden - The FSX fps counter ws always designed as an indicator, not a benchmark. If you were tro compare the FPS displayed in FSX to the FPS in a decent graphics tool, you will get some significant differences. Some people use FRAPS and say they get accurate FPS that way. My point still is this - who cares what your FPS are? Other than bragging rights they do not effect the overall performance of FSX. The proof of that? Simple - there are people who complain that they have a 10FPS slide show. There are people who complain that they are getting 60FPS but it is a choppy slide show. Obviously, the cause of the slide show is NOT the FPS. The only significant use of the FPS counter is to see if it's steady at xx fps or if it jumps wildly up and down. That is significant information which could indicate other issues in the system. Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Ironmaiden - The FSX fps counter ws always designed as an indicator, not a benchmark. If you were tro compare the FPS displayed in FSX to the FPS in a decent graphics tool, you will get some significant differences. Some people use FRAPS and say they get accurate FPS that way. My point still is this - who cares what your FPS are? Other than bragging rights they do not effect the overall performance of FSX. The proof of that? Simple - there are people who complain that they have a 10FPS slide show. There are people who complain that they are getting 60FPS but it is a choppy slide show. Obviously, the cause of the slide show is NOT the FPS. The only significant use of the FPS counter is to see if it's steady at xx fps or if it jumps wildly up and down. That is significant information which could indicate other issues in the system. Vic
aha got it. thnx.

Ain't that the truth, it's almost hypnotic, staring at those changing numbers as one augers in."Your getting sleepy, very sleepy. Your slipping into a deep, restful sleep. Your resting comfortably, and now, cluck like a chicken"Especially mind numbing if you put the cfg entries in to show the high, low and average fps.

Frank L.T

I seem to enjoy Crysis and Battlefield better cos they have no FPS monitor. It really does turn your head in. the only time you should use it is for when you a gauging what setting or something is better for the system.

I've posted this in a few places and it generally falls on stony ground but I'll try and get a few more recruits fsx.cfg Make these changes and set yourself free! Change the 1s to 0s [TextInfo.2]FrameRate=0,1 LockedFrameRate=0,2 GForce=0,3 FuelPercentage=0,4You can get rid of more stuff by putting 0s in [TextInfo.1] I just have wind speed and direction showing. Good blog Jeff.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.