Sign in to follow this  
Humpty

Autogen and Scenery sliders for a mid rig

Anyone see any difference between Normal (Autogen & Scenery) and Dense / very Dense & Extreme dense ? I just need a little guidance for my system, I have kept Scenery Complexity @Very Dense and Autogen @Dense but surprisingly I think I am getting same FPS even on Extreme around 21 on ground and higher in the air in NL-2000 using the Baron 58 , I am using Bojote's tweak and my resolution is 1024x768. So should I keep it on Normal ? Would that make details in the scenery less ?

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Anyone see any difference between Normal (Autogen & Scenery) and Dense / very Dense & Extreme dense ?
Yes. I don't go any higher on AG then dense. Scenery Complexity is the one right before max. If I go any higher with autogen, the trees start to choke my system and cause stuttering.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Yes. I don't go any higher on AG then dense. Scenery Complexity is the one right before max. If I go any higher with autogen, the trees start to choke my system and cause stuttering.
Will it matter with performance if I keep scenery complexity also on Dense ?

Will it matter with performance if I keep scenery complexity also on Dense ?
Scenery complexity doesn't seem to impact my system a whole lot, definitely not like autogen does.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Scenery complexity doesn't seem to impact my system a whole lot, definitely not like autogen does.
But I am surprised that keep both on Extreme and testing again on Dense hardly is lowering performance. My system is not high end

If it runs nice and smooth than you can put it on whatever your system can handle. Be aware though just because your current settings work in on area doesnt mean they will work in another. As far as the scenery slider, most people run it maxed out but even that may need to be a notch lower, especially in NYC. Also the scenery slider turns on the jetways at dense. That means if you are using stock FSX AI then the jetways will also move at a performance cost. I use Ut2 and am able to turn off the jetway calls that make them move, allowing me to run max scenery slider. It is all a try it and see as far as settings go. - Jim

Jim Wenham

But I am surprised that keep both on Extreme and testing again on Dense hardly is lowering performance. My system is not high end
Well everyone's setup is different. FSX rarely has definitive yes or no answers for anything performance related. I have a mid-spec system too. You have an AMD processor and ATI graphics card. I have Intel and Nvidia. Those differences are a bigger deal than a slider setting in FSX, imho.

spacer.png

If it runs nice and smooth than you can put it on whatever your system can handle. Be aware though just because your current settings work in on area doesnt mean they will work in another. As far as the scenery slider, most people run it maxed out but even that may need to be a notch lower, especially in NYC. Also the scenery slider turns on the jetways at dense. That means if you are using stock FSX AI then the jetways will also move at a performance cost. I use Ut2 and am able to turn off the jetway calls that make them move, allowing me to run max scenery slider. It is all a try it and see as far as settings go. - Jim
I am using WOAI and how can I switch OFF Jetway calls ?
Well everyone's setup is different. FSX rarely has definitive yes or no answers for anything performance related. I have a mid-spec system too. You have an AMD processor and ATI graphics card. I have Intel and Nvidia. Those differences are a bigger deal than a slider setting in FSX, imho.
Hahaha yes my system is on the lower side for FSX , but the thing is even at stock @klga on ground it is showing me 18-22 , right now I put autogen and scenery to normal so just gained around 2 frames more . I will try again with MAX. And Yes I agree that everyone system works differently and FSX does not have a definite yes or no.

@ Ironmaiden, I am pretty sure that WOAI doesnt call jetways. Inorder for a jetway to be called there has to be door assignments in the aircraft CFG, at least thats how I remember it. -Jim

Jim Wenham

Autogen can be a tricky one. My system sometimes it'll run better maxed out in areas, other areas it is better on dense.

ok guys thnx

If you have used FS9, you will know that reducing Autogen would increase performance. FSX is quite the opposite. If you go much below normal, you will see a lower FPS. bearing in mind, if your system/fsx is not tuned properly, does not matter where you put the slider.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

If you have used FS9, you will know that reducing Autogen would increase performance. FSX is quite the opposite. If you go much below normal, you will see a lower FPS. bearing in mind, if your system/fsx is not tuned properly, does not matter where you put the slider.
Actually there is hardly a difference on the sliders max or normal. And yes I have used FS9.System is tuned.I think it is my GFX card which is a bottle neck I need at least a 5570.

I have several different autogen settings. But my main two are 1) all sliders 100% with autogen at Normal. This I use when flying the PMDG and 2) all sliders at 100% with autogen at Dense. This I use when flying closer to the ground in GA. There's no point IMO in having high autogen when flying high in an airliner, when the only time you get close is on landing, and in my situation I always land at addon airports anyway! As was said earlier, simply use the autogen that gives you the most pleasant flying experience. Don't get hung up on thinking that you have to fly with a certain setting simply because you think your rig should run it or you are comparing your rig with someone elses. FSX is not about anything else other than enjoyment and IMO this can often be forgotten by trying to achieve something simply because we feel we need to achieve it! Peace.gif

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776