Sign in to follow this  
bpcw001

question about dome light

I'd like to hear from those who have seen the dome light in action in the real thing. Is it really that white and cold?My impression from screenshots and youtube movies is that it's a lot more yellowish and warmer, but pictures and movies may be deceiving.

Dave P. Woycek

correct me if im wrong but the warmer lights are the flood lights, the dome light is used mostly when flying around thunderstorms at night where the lightning can temporarily blind the pilots, it kinda helps to lessen that effect. EDIT: Oh i've never seen the real thing in action

It is that cold and the NGX panel colors are accurate. Don't use photos as reference, most of the times, auto white balance doesn't get it right especially during daytime photos on which outside white balance is "daylight" and inside white balance is more or less "tungsten". If you set the camera to get correct colors outside the windows, then the cockpit will be really orange. If you set the camera to show the correct colors inside, then the outside will be really blue. You would need a double exposure to get a normal camera to get colours right... or some retouching.

Omar Josef
737/757/767

It is that cold and the NGX panel colors are accurate. Don't use photos as reference, most of the times, auto white balance doesn't get it right especially during daytime photos on which outside white balance is "daylight" and inside white balance is more or less "tungsten". If you set the camera to get correct colors outside the windows, then the cockpit will be really orange. If you set the camera to show the correct colors inside, then the outside will be really blue. You would need a double exposure to get a normal camera to get colours right... or some retouching.
OK then. I was just wondering. So I'll be happy with the NGX reproducing the real colors accurately.

Dave P. Woycek