Sign in to follow this  
cslawrence

How do I tell the FMC this?

So let's say you're flying the Janesville Five arrival into KORD. Link: http://dtpp.myairpla...6JANESVILLE.PDF If you're flying the Mason City (MCW) transition, you're told by the chart to expect to cross 15 NM west of JVL at FL180. I can do the math on it to figure out roughly what altitude I would cross at 15 miles out, and then continue that math to enter in an altitude value for JVL, but there has to be a better way. Can someone educate me real quick on how to input this in the LEGS menu? Thanks!

JVL289/15 then enter FL180 as the flight level when you have it entered into the legs page? FCOM 1, page 239

JVL289/15 then enter FL180 as the flight level when you have it entered into the legs page? FCOM 1, page 239
Thanks a lot. Didn't really know what to call it so a search in the FCOM didn't help me, figured I'd pick the brain of someone who already knew how to do it.

No problem, I am not 100% it will work, as I have never done it, so hopefully it does, good luck!
It did work, yes. Thank you very much for your help.

Hey Chris, think you can do this as well JVL/-15 as well, should work I think, read it in another post. Then same thing, just set your crossing altitude.

Hey Chris, think you can do this as well JVL/-15 as well, should work I think, read it in another post. Then same thing, just set your crossing altitude.
It works. What that will do is set a point at the especified distance before the especified waypoint on the route programmed in the CDU, no matter where it will be regarding it's direction from the initial waypoint or if there's a turn or not on the route. If you insert a radial, as Rick suggested, the FMS will forget about you route, search for the waypoint, track it's radial and find a point at the especified distance.

Matheus Mafra