Sign in to follow this  
DeltaMD11

virus software

I´ve got Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 and it´s working perfect with FS9/FSX or any other programm. Very effectiv and no performance hog. I can highly recommend it. But if you´re from the USA, I don´t know whether you want an programm from Russia protecting your system...

what is a good virus software that works well with fsx?
Microsoft Security Essentials - and it's free from MS... DJ

I have used the MS one for years and never had a problem. It's all you need. I think these days AV software is more hype than help, and certainly some are an outright waste of money.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

I use F secure and it is quite intrusive and system hungry. However it has kept my systems clean for a couple of years now and so I do trust it. However, if i didn't have this, 'AVG FREE' did a decent job for me previously and 'AVAST' too. Both of these are a lot less intrusive and are good value for money (no cost). Neither seem to have any negative impact on FSX. IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

In my opinion if you can run your rig without an AV program, then do so. I am fortunate to have a dedicated FSX rig and although I am connected to the internet, the only sites I visit on this rig, are Avsim, Orbx, REX etc, so only recognised sites. The way I look at it is, providing I don't go 'surfing' the web, downloading stuff from unfamiliar sites, clicking where I shouldn't click, then things will be OK. I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I read elsewhere from a guy explaining about AV and he said that what you have to remember with AV is that every time you run an installation, the AV program examines every single file and element of the program. If it doesn't like any little aspect of a file it will drop it from the installation. The installation may continue but with a shortfall. The same is true every time you fire up FSX it will be passing it's evil eye across your cherished program. So after reading this I decided to uninstall my AV and firewall, after all, if you're not downloading stuff and only visiting said sites, then you should be OK wink.png Of course not everyone can afford the benefits of a dedicated machine.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

virus software is just that... virus software. The thing to look for is one that has as low of an overhead on the system and NOD32 is one that has a very low overhead. NOD32 is that program and I dont have to turn off my antivirus to run fsx. - Jim

Jim Wenham

I've used NOD32 in the past, but with MSE available there really is no reason to use payware anti-virus anymore. FSX runs fine with MSE active - I've excluded the FSX folders from real-time scanning, the same way I did with NOD32.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/security_essentials/default.aspx, plus the Windows7 firewall and Windows Updates. All are free and work flawlessly - controllable and unobtrusive.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

As a few others have posted, the package from MS works very well. There are some packages out there that I would never use, even some that are bundled with your Cable Internet.

Here's my experience with MSE. It is easy to install. Easy on your system. Easy to turn on and off if you need to. Works well if you don't plan to catch anything bad. I caught something bad, and probably had it for months. Then things went south. MSE said I was OK. Then, with deeper scans it said I had something, and told me it got rid of it. Multiple scans, one right after the other, said I had the same thing and that MSE had gotten rid of it. Finally I went back to Avast and the wonderful root scanner in Avast found several things, and actually got rid of them. No AV software is perfect. Everybody has their favorite. I use MSE if I need something in a hurry. But it is at the bottom of my list. Besides, Avast can talk like a pirate. Talk Like a Pirate day is coming up next month. Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

I'm obviously swimming against the tide a little here im%20Not%20Worthy.gif but IMHO, if you can run your rig with an AV program, then you should do so. It simply means you have fewer things palying around with your config files etc behind your back...wink.png

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776