Sign in to follow this  
Avantime

3D volumetric clouds, have a look at this

2 months ago I ranted about how MS Flight will still be using the very old fashioned 2D clouds, which is IMHO one of the most unrealistic aspects of the game given that most real world flying will have close encounters to clouds. See the old thread here:http://forum.avsim.n...sing-2d-clouds/ Well guys, have a look at this trailer for this upcoming air combat MMO (Yes it is a MMO) called World of Planes, from the same people who made IL2: Wings of Prey. Also note this is DirectX 9. Just thinking, If Microsoft can do DX10 preview in FSX, surely they can do something similar to this. I guess we can always dream....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LEQ_1Kt0Cs

I think the clouds in the trailer look great. I hope nobody says that this is an invalid request or comparison because Flight has to model clouds for the entire world, and therefore, volumetric clouds are not possible. Straight%20Face.gif

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I think the clouds in the trailer look great. I hope nobody says that this is an invalid request or comparison because Flight has to model clouds for the entire world, and therefore, volumetric clouds are not possible. Straight%20Face.gif
What? Fsx didn't model clouds for the whole world. It had a few cloud texturez that the weather engine put in places you fly. The clouds can be improved greatly beacuse if you look at the dcs a10 clouds they look like clouds and not 2d pitures. The dcs sim also reduces vis in clouds. Not to sound rude but I would prefer clouds that are 3d. Op I agree with you.

Maybe it is just me-but those clouds look totally gamey and not anything like the clouds I fly thru. I'll take Rex on fsx over those..

Maybe it is just me-but those clouds look totally gamey and not anything like the clouds I fly thru. I'll take Rex on fsx over those..
I see your point I just meant the idea of 3d clouds and no vis in clouds. I just dont like spinning 2d clouds. Now imagine rex textures for the clouds in dcs. :)

Those clouds don't look very good to me. Too fuzzy, kind of like default FSX clouds, but even more so. FSX + Rex clouds look better IMO. Flight clouds do look better than FSX's in most cases, but are obviously still 2D. They still look better than the fuzzy 3d clouds. Now, if some amazing 3d clouds were developed that look like this, then I'll want them in Flight: Big%20Grin.gif8.jpg

Also note this is DirectX 9. Just thinking, If Microsoft can do DX10 preview in FSX, surely they can do something similar to this. I guess we can always dream....
One is really not comparable to the other at all.

Brandon Filer

Those clouds don't look very good to me. Too fuzzy, kind of like default FSX clouds, but even more so. FSX + Rex clouds look better IMO. Flight clouds do look better than FSX's in most cases, but are obviously still 2D. They still look better than the fuzzy 3d clouds. Now, if some amazing 3d clouds were developed that look like this, then I'll want them in Flight:
I meant imagine rex textures for the 3d clouds in fsx. :) And to have clouds like in the picture, well a guy can dream can't he. :)

Chuck_Norris_Approves.gif

Looks awesome.As a game trailer, I think we can be skeptical ;)Some clouds do look suspiciously like a post effects.And a disclaimer..."This video does not represent the final quality of the game"There's even a version of portions of this video without any composites.And I agree - it's time for some awesome cloud technology out there.

I would always prefer less detailed voluminetric clouds to good looking textures. While the textured clouds look fantastic on screenshots, voluminetric clouds might be much more flexible in use and more realistic to fly through. Even with REX and and Active Sky Evolution, I find it very hard to identify the weather fronts or development by looking at the clouds. Less detailed voluminetric clouds with realistic cloud development and better correlation of cloud size and form with weather and wind strength would be a massive step towards realism in my opinion.

Yeah the clouds look "arty" like they been painted, rex clouds anyday of the week, REX clouds + MSFlight , one day perhaps!!

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

What I want is clouds that actually behave like clouds, and they can be 2D, 3D or even 1D if they like, so long as they do what a real cloud actually does to an aeroplane, i.e. they actually relate to the atmospheric conditions, they start off small over a thermal or geographic airflow source, they form at the altitude where the water condenses when the temperature and lapse rate is suitable for it, they kick out additional heat in doing that, go up a bit more because of that heat and also boil up because of that, increase in size, drift with the wind downwind from the thermal source forming streets, sometimes dissipate, deposit rain actually from underneath them, have turbulence and downdrafts on their edges, have thermal activity under them, cast shadows on the land and help to indicate the wind direction in doing so, they build up a charge from the molecular collisions going on in them and sometimes cause an electrical storm because of that etc, etc. You know, they are... well, clouds as a phenomenon which has a bearing on aviation, and not just as a pretty backdrop. I'll be happy if they look good of course, but if they are for a flight simulator, not an eye candy simulator, how pretty they look should be a secondary concern, by a very long way, although admittedly in a combat sim, as that video is, their appearance does have a bearing on tactical considerations, since you could use them for concealment. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.