Sign in to follow this  
mcbellette

Glowing AVSIM review of PMDG NGX

It is a positive review. I thought reviewers of addon aircraft spent a bit more time on the planes, but whatever... I find it interesting that Nick's videos were referenced. Maybe that's the way future reviews will be for AVSIM... Another point folks have bought up in review feedback section is why hasn't that other, recent, 737NG release got a review. I hope the reviewers have good answers to hold off the conspiracy crazies...

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

It's a very accurate review of the aircraft. It's been one of the joy's of my vacation. Learning about the aircraft and reading the manuals has been nothing short of enlightening! I look forward to mastering this aircraft and learning the systems as they were meant to be learned. Congrats Avsim! You guys have an awesome team!

With many of PMDG`s releases and others such as LVLD I excitedly used the aircraft the first few days and then at odd periods afterwards, I guess just when I felt like it. Except that is with the J4100 from PMDG. With that I had to keep going back to it and trying over and over again to get to grips with starting it from C&D, setting up the feathering, flying and landing. I take pills to counteract severe pain from a failed spinal operation that damaged 2 nerves from the spine, these act on the brain and unfortunately end up killing my memory and thought control at certain persiods-even blanking my mind for short term. This never helped, then one day it all clicked with the J4100 and ever since I couldn`t put it down. Now contrast this with the release of the 737 NGX, for some reason as complicated as it can be I worked it all out quickly. I fly it constantly, sometimes 3-4 flights a day. I have to force myself not to fly it, so adictive is the plane, the addition of Ezdok and now I actually feel like using my TIR4 where before I hardly bothered with it. The unfortunate thing is in flying another plane I have the constant nagging feeling I should be flying the 737 NGX instead. I even think about the plane when I`m not flying. No other release has made me feel that way. So far I`ve put off purchasing a yoke but now I`m planning to do so, because of the fun and enjoyment I get from simming the last 15+ years or more and now because of this aircraft. So what has that to do with this review. Well I feel the review was a good one and in favour of the 737 NGX. But at the same time IMHO it didn`t express that same feeling that I and many others feel about this release. I realise she has some problems still, that not all users feel the same way, that to some extent we get immune to the buzz that these releases give purely because we see so many. But this plane, to me, is one of the greatest releases yet. I really looked forward to the PMDG 747, the J4100 was an impulse purchase, this one I wanted to get from day one-from release day and boy oh boy it hasn`t let me down. The MD11 I`ve yet to purchase but no doubt will. Steve

Yes, the flight time does surprise me a little bit. 3 hours to see every aspect of this gem. Still, couldn't have been a better review!

I am one of those posting in the review feedback... The PMDG 737 NGX is without doubt a very well done addon and will definitly earn alot of awards. No conspiracy theories from here, but.... I wonder why the reviewer didn´t mention some of the problems the NGX actually have and why not waiting until after the release of SP1 with a review.I think it´s common to give the developers a chance to fix the intitial issues before writing a review. 3 hours of testing is not even enough for a Piper Cub review. I also wonder why this review came so quick, considering that the iFly NG not has been reviewd yet, though it has been on the market for some month now and also have been updated. Again...This is not a post against PMDG at all. I´m a happy 737 NGX user who did not experience any of the troubles posted in the support forum.It´s merely a post expressing my wondering about timing and priorities. I have always used the Avsim reviews as a starting point for whereas I should buy a particular addon or not, but this time I think they failed with the timing. Finn J

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home

It wasn´t a complex Review after all. There would be much more to write about, according to meThe Reviewer haven´t gone throug all the system and neither flied enough, and used diffr metodhwhen departure, landing etc.I.e. doing High and low speed abort, ILS, VOR, LOC landing etc.I haven been looking forward to a full complex review from 2 or more "Flightsim experts" at AVSIM, butunfortunally.....sad.png Anyway I think the Gold medal is the right choise for this ac. cool.png / Leffe

It wasn´t a complex Review after all. I haven been looking forward to a full complex review from 2 or more "Flightsim experts" at AVSIM, butunfortunally.....sad.png / Leffe
+1It's an interesting read and it provides some very useful information but I wouldn't call that a review. Maybe just a quick overview?For example, mentionning that the plane "just feels right " when hand flown is fine but one would expect much more for such a complex sim. What about the systems?Maybe, at least in my opinion, we could expect more from a reviewer than just providing links toward one-hour long videos. The links are great as additional references but what is his analysis?.Overall it is still a good read and it tells a lot about the way the sim can be configured. Only don't expect a complete analysis.My 2 cts,Bruno

You cannot really trust a review of any PMDG product on Avsim. Why? Because Avsim hosts the PMDG forums and they drive a ton of traffic to this site. Having said that they aircraft is 5 star but still I think this is a conflict of interest. Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

2nd last section he states he's a hobbist, nuff said. Didn't read it cause I know PMDG's quality..

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

Perhaps as mentioned its more of an overview than a full blown review. But then maybe their are political reasons of some kind to release this review now and not wait a little longer. In doing so skirting around the problems knowing they are all being addressed. Afterall the NGX got off to a bad start with the hackers to begin with. Then some problems besetting a few users, some couldn`t even register their purchase. In the interim I guess some kind of a review was better than no review at all. At least it was favourable, gave PMDG time to address the problems and no doubt we`ll see more reviews and I hope awards because its really got the necessary calibre IMHO. Thankfully, like many others I haven`t had a problem even on my meagre 4 gig memory and 6600 setup on Vista 32 bit on flying the NGX or using the Paint Kit, OOM problems I sorted around FSX SP1 and never had since. Yet others with 8 gig memory and more in 64 bit OS have had problems of one kind or another including OOM. Lets hope they get sorted soon. Steve

This is a first look at the 737NGX, as most of you have mentioned it IS a complex aircraft. There have been many sitting on the fence trying to decide if this is an aircraft for them to add to their hangar.

The reviewer states he's a hobbiest so there's your answer.

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.