Sign in to follow this  
jorgesobrinho

Cross feed valve

Hi, festival there are a great aircraft, i simulate problems with engines like fire oil temperature and in this situation we need suthdow the engine. After this there are a series of things we need make on cokpit configuration for one engine situation, one of them there is, turn cross feed valve for use the fuel on booth tanques for not create inbalance on aircraft. I try several times and i can't balance the fuel on aircraft, i don´t now if is my error or it is a failure on system of the aircraft. I advise i not read the manuals. I shink the reverses deploy to late and after disconect of ivao and we go see our landing we not have the same configuration of the aircraft when we landing, i can´t see the ground spoilers deploy, reverses not work and on cockpit nathing is the same when we landing before. Tanks very much for addon and sorry for my comentary and english. Best regards, Jorge

I'm not a real pilot, but I'm pretty sure the procedure for an imbalance is to turn on the crossfeed, and then turn the pumps off of the tank which has more fuel. I just did this yesterday, by the way.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

I'm not a real pilot, but I'm pretty sure the procedure for an imbalance is to turn on the crossfeed, and then turn the pumps off of the tank which has more fuel. I just did this yesterday, by the way.
Other way around isn't it, shut the pumps off the tank that has lower fuel, so it pumps only from the tank with higher fuel?

Other way around isn't it, shut the pumps off the tank that has lower fuel, so it pumps only from the tank with higher fuel?
Sorry, yes you are correct; that's what I meant to say.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

You should be completing the memory items of the engine failure checklist as soon as possible. This checklist includes turning on the cross-feed valve. If you do this immediately, you shouldn't get an imbalance. (This procedure is found in QRH 7.10) If you have already reached an imbalance, you will need to turn off the fuel pumps for the side with less fuel. This is very undesirable as an engine failure significantly increases pressure and workload and very easily, you will forget to turn them on again. (This procedure is found in FCOM Vol. 1 SP.12.1)

You should be completing the memory items of the engine failure checklist as soon as possible. This checklist includes turning on the cross-feed valve. If you do this immediately, you shouldn't get an imbalance. (This procedure is found in QRH 7.10) If you have already reached an imbalance, you will need to turn off the fuel pumps for the side with less fuel. This is very undesirable as an engine failure significantly increases pressure and workload and very easily, you will forget to turn them on again. (This procedure is found in FCOM Vol. 1 SP.12.1)
Actually, Boeing doesn't recommend going to cross feed right away. And if you had the fuel balanced at the start of an engine failure, what difference does it make which tank you burn out of? Unless you're starting from the center tank, you'll be causing an imbalance, either way. "There is a common misconception among flight crews that the fuel crossfeed valve should be opened immediately after an in-flight engine shutdown to prevent fuel imbalance. This practice is contrary to Boeing recommended procedures and could aggravate a fuel imbalance" - Boeing FCTM.

Matt Cee

Hey guys. Heres an easy way to remember how to crossfeed on single engine. Just remember a DIAGONAL line. So....1) take the side the Blue Shutoff valves are lit up on. (in the case its the right hand side).2) next go to the crossfeed and open it.3) now go to the opposite side of the Blue Shutoff valves and turn those fuel pumps off (in this case its the left main pumps)Now see how you just made a diagonal line from top right to bottom left? Just remember to do the diagonal line starting at the Blue Fuel shutoff valve lights. Just do the opposite to discontinue the crossfeed