Sign in to follow this  
Lincolnshire Poacher

My experiance with the NGX

Greetings from England. I thought I would start a thread with my experiences with the NGX. I am fairly computer literate but do not have a lot of time to devote to flight simming. I have previously bought the MD11 and the J41 but never really got to grips with them due to lack of time. I havennt learnt my lesson as I have been enthralled with the reviews and comments on the NGX. I also understand the NGX can be flown almost straight out of the box so to speak. I decided then to purchase it, I can fly and learn as I go along (hopefully). First thing was to my PMDG account to purchase, whoops, I had forgotten my paccount password. No problem as PMDG quickly emailed me it. I then purchased the NGX base pack along with the cd when it comes out, purchasing the cd also gives you the ability to re-download for perpeuity. I opted to pay with Paypal, this was quickly done and painless, the total was $84:94 this worked out at just over £52 pounds sterling. A confirmation email with dowload link quickly followed, the download took 1 hour 10 minutes on my 1.5mb internet connection (11am uk time). The download appeared to complete ok and I shall install the NGX later today and post details of how it goes.

CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 750D FULL TOWER CASE - Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache - Gigabyte Z390 UD: ATX, LG1151 - 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz - NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE - 1TB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3230MB/sR | 1625MB/sW) - CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES - CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120 High Performance Liquid Cooler

As promised here are the details of my NGX install, this was not without problem. I extracted the contents of the download zip file to a new folder, then installed from there, it took about 3 minutes to install, the vesion is 1.00.2922 RTM & Hotfix dated 16th August. After this the installer checked my Directx and decided it needed an update, this failed with the following message:'A cabinet file necessary for the installation cannot be trusted. please verify the Cryptographic services are enabled and the cabinet file certificate is valid' Well the service was turned on, but I had no idea how to check the certificate. I then fired up FSX and selected the NGX only for it to crash to desktop as soon as it had loaded. Tried windows update and installed Win 7 service pack 1 to no avail. Next I did some digging in the NGX support forum and found the answer ----- all you have to do is go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\directx\ and delete everything in that file. then try again. this worked just fine for me, fired up FSX and had a very quick take off and landing at EGNJ. What a fine bird this is. Next I shall be printing the Introduction document and the Tutorial, it is my intention to sit down with thsi and find my way around, once I have I will report back here, this may take some time due to pressure of work. I would be very surprised too if I have not downloaded a new livery by then. Keep the blue side up. les

CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 750D FULL TOWER CASE - Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache - Gigabyte Z390 UD: ATX, LG1151 - 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz - NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE - 1TB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3230MB/sR | 1625MB/sW) - CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES - CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120 High Performance Liquid Cooler

Hereis the next installment: a couple of days ago I set to to work my way through the tutorial, the house was empty. A short time later my daughter and SWMBO retuned home. That was it, concentration gone, its impossible to prepare a plane for flight and listen to idle gossip at the same time so I aborted the tutorial :-( So yesterday I had another go, this time I got a lot further. However when it came to operating the TO/GA switch as in the tutorial I got a little confused. By the way both FD's were on. Do I have to operate the hidden switch as well as the one on the throttle quadrant or will one do? I could not for the life of me find the one on the quadrant, if someone can screen shot its exact position I would really appreciate it. Anyhow I went on with the take off and got this delightful bird in the sky and then run out of time as I had to got to work. I will try and work the TO/Ga switch out and have another go soon. I will keep you posted on how it goes.

Thans for that Mark

Next Flight. With the TO/GA switch solved its time to have another go at the tutorial. Not bad at all this time, I'm getting use to the FMC. Anyhow I get everything entered and its time to take off, this goes very well, but then things start to happen very fast. I get there in the end except I cant get the bird to go any higher then 6000 feet!!! I know I must have missed something and hopefully I will get it right in the next flight. Meanwhile I abort my flight at 6000 feet and will have another attempt shortly.

If you're in VNAV, the airplane will stop climbing (or descending for that matter) at the altitude you have set in the MCP ALT window. I guess in this case it was set at 6000ft. When you are cleared to climb above 6000ft, put the new altitude that you are cleared to into the MCP ALT window, and hit ALT INTV (it's right next to the ALT knob).

Cristi Neagu