Sign in to follow this  
Ben.Hudson

PMDG 737NGX EYEBROWS?

Hi everyone :) Just a quick question.... Why does my 737NGX display eyebrows when in simulation? Even though in the livery preview it doesn't have any? And when in FSX main menu it doesn't either? Can someone help me with this issue please? Thanks :) Ben Hudson, United Kingdom.

Hey Ben. You can turn them ON/OFF in the FMC. MENU - PMDG OPTIONS - EQUIPMENT and then click next page until you find it :)

I think he's talking about the frame that still present when the eyebrows are deactivated. That's how the real 737 are. Even when the aircraft has no eyebrows, Boeing still leaves the frame of it in the cockpit, but instead of putting a piece of glass there, they cover it with metal.

Matheus Mafra

I think he's talking about the frame that still present when the eyebrows are deactivated. That's how the real 737 are. Even when the aircraft has no eyebrows, Boeing still leaves the frame of it in the cockpit, but instead of putting a piece of glass there, they cover it with metal.
Matheus, what are the advantages of covering up those frames with metal? I understand reducing glare, but couldn't they have just painted them over?Doesn't adding metal increase the aircraft's weight over - all?

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Matheus, what are the advantages of covering up those frames with metal? I understand reducing glare, but couldn't they have just painted them over?Doesn't adding metal increase the aircraft's weight over - all?
There are a couple of advantages. First of all, remember that it's only the frame, so no actual window left.just covering over the frame will reduce weight (not by much, as the frame is still there) as the glass used in aircraft is thick and heavy (several layers of plexiglass).Also, windows are weak spots in the skin of any aircraft. So, the less windows, the less trouble spots, the less bolts, the less parts...It all adds up to less weight, less maintenance, less chance of trouble.From a perfect engineering point of view, you wouldn't put ANY windows in an aircraft... not even the windshield (some design studies for the Boeing 2707 didn't have windshields, just cameras...) However, from just about any other point of view (pilot, passenger, sales rep, etc...) you'd want as many windows as possible, and have them as large as possible...It's always a compromise between those different wishes. This is my view on this, I might be slightly wrong, but those points I came across when studying my course in aircraft structures.

Regards,

Lars Domen, aka Tyrion

My FS projects: http://larsdomen.tumblr.com/