Sign in to follow this  
Gramps ZA

Autoland Assistance

On approach and finals I thought all was set up for an autoland. ILS was tuned, VOR swithched on , both flight directors on, fully programmed FMC with NAV radios set,autothrottle on ,all VNAV,LNAV AND VOR iluminated as well as CMD2, the plane turned onto finals tracking the ILS, the glidescope was active and as soon as the glidesciope started to move down the plane did not capture it? I pushed APPR ,VOR ILS etc but she would not capture it ,hence a manual landing? Why? What sequence did I not follow? What I did notice was that CMD2 was only iluminated.CMD 1 would not after I pressed CMD2?

you normally have to catch the glideslope from below when flying level. Were you flying level with the glideslope above the middle when you hit it? Also you must be not too far from the airport, and the airport must be at least CATII . I am not sure, but I think you have to capture the LOC BEFORE pressing the APP button and must be within some minimum angle. BOTH frequencies must be tuned to the ILS for autoland, and both CRS to the runway heading. Other than that, I dunno... Henri

Henri Arsenault

I was on finals to Athens 03L CAT II . Only Captain side ILS tuned.that must be the problem . Thanks

I was on finals to Athens 03L CAT II . Only Captain side ILS tuned.that must be the problem . Thanks
Yep. Above/Below Glideslope doesn't matter. VOR/LOC and then APP doesn't matter.

Matt Cee