Sign in to follow this  
JC75

Oh No! First Panel Freeze In weeks!

Ì've been panel freeze free now for weeks since installing HF3 However I was in the CH hold setting up for an approach into Kai Tak(small point here the NGX does a very weird entry into holds doesnt seem to know what it doing) anyhow I selected the exit hold button - which showed the hold being cancelled(shouldnt this do like other boeing and arm it first? and fly the short hold back to the fix before moving onto the next point in FMC) Well my plane was banking to turn to next fix - only to notice my ND isnt changing at all - so a quick type on the CDU keypad and there it is again a panel freeze - if i change page then the text i just typed can now be seen in the scratchpad. My plane is happily flying in LNAV in circles at present! no CTD but no way of getting the panel to unfreeze either. So guess the HF not worked completely after all! Update - after leaving it flying in circles and trying to see if I could unfreeze it eventually CTD with a fatal error. Update2 - Reloaded sim (i edited some save files to bring back sim to stable status before id got to the hold) tried to enter the hold again, no freeze yet but the NGX just flies an orbit attempting to enter the hold but wont - into heading mode to put aircraft into a position to do a direct entry to hold - nope it turns away and goes into another orbit - other direction this time - flew plane off to strange point some miles from hold and fix - as attempted to turn itself back to the hold fix but now completely 180 degrees to hold heading back to the point that before - now seems to be doing a hold at 090 degrees offset from the published hold and whats in the FMC! Re entered the radial and direction into the hold page to see if that fix it - nope its just gone off somewhere else again! now selected ecit hold- and this time i get exit armed! just a guessing man - but i dont think the hold function working very well - and could be linked to freezes where peoples routes have holds in them? many approaches have a hold for the Missed approach?

Found issue with HOLD if its in the NAV data - it works fine(ive just updated the VHHX files) if you create one yourself it goes heywire!

From what you are saying, it is very good news that you have had NO panel freezes in weeks !!!That to me is an indication thay the NGX is pretty much trouble free. I have had no problems with it since it was released and am using the latest Hotfix 3. My own gut feeling is that most issues that people are complaining about have absolutely nothing to do with the NGXbut more so their computer setups and all the 3rd party addons that they are using. I never use any addons until I have tested something out for at least a week and see how it behaves. I hope you find the solution to your problem. Fred.

From what you are saying, it is very good news that you have had NO panel freezes in weeks !!!That to me is an indication thay the NGX is pretty much trouble free. I have had no problems with it since it was released and am using the latest Hotfix 3. My own gut feeling is that most issues that people are complaining about have absolutely nothing to do with the NGXbut more so their computer setups and all the 3rd party addons that they are using. I never use any addons until I have tested something out for at least a week and see how it behaves. I hope you find the solution to your problem. Fred.
Fred. What are your specs? If ok with you.Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Guess Im confused? James state he had a panel freeze and you say your glad he has no panel freezes? I beg to differ. The panel freeze is a PMDG issue and not simply an FSX deal!
I agree that the Panel Freeze is an issue but I an not so sure that it is a PMDG related issue. My system is as basic as you can get.It is just about good enough to run the NGX. It's an old Dell with only 2 gigs of Ram and a crappy ATI graphics card. I still have no problems running any software on it. I do have 8 other powerful Dell's which are used for my home cockpit.

Fred. What are your specs? If ok with you.Regards,
It's a Dell Vostro 400 updated from Vista 32 to Win 7 32 bit.Intel Core Duo 2.33 GHZ2 gigs ram and an ATI Radeon 2600 XT (512 MB ram)22 inch Dell monitor.

It's a Dell Vostro 400 updated from Vista 32 to Win 7 32 bit.Intel Core Duo 2.33 GHZ2 gigs ram and an ATI Radeon 2600 XT (512 MB ram)22 inch Dell monitor.
Based on your specs Fred, which you must admit are pretty modest, i am wondering if there is not some common denominator within a specific addon that just does not get along with the NGX, because this is happening to people with far more powerful systems than yours and surely they are not all just wacking all the sliders to the right etc. and expecting no problems?

Rick Hobbs

Based on your specs Fred, which you must admit are pretty modest, i am wondering if there is not some common denominator within a specific addon that just does not get along with the NGX, because this is happening to people with far more powerful systems than yours and surely they are not all just wacking all the sliders to the right etc. and expecting no problems?
You could be right !Most of the guys on here have great specs but seem to have nothing but problems.My server for my home cockpit seup is a fairly top spec machine but it gives the most trouble. That can be very frustrating indeed.The one thing that I am cautious about is addons.I think people should use the NGX for a few days with NO addons and see how things go.It is then easier to understand where a problem is coming from. Fred.

You could be right !Most of the guys on here have great specs but seem to have nothing but problems.My server for my home cockpit seup is a fairly top spec machine but it gives the most trouble. That can be very frustrating indeed.The one thing that I am cautious about is addons.I think people should use the NGX for a few days with NO addons and see how things go.It is then easier to understand where a problem is coming from. Fred.
I think you are right. Although i do not practice what i preech, i have set all of my addon sceneries (with the exception of KSFO) to modest settings including the water and clowd settings in REX2 and i have had practically no issues since day1 (Still havn't gotten around to installing 'any' hotfixes yet) The only thing so far is loss of breaks on taxi after landing at EHAM and rudder problems which i am 99.9% sure is controller problems.

Rick Hobbs

I think you are right. Although i do not practice what i preech, i have set all of my addon sceneries (with the exception of KSFO) to modest settings including the water and clowd settings in REX2 and i have had practically no issues since day1 (Still havn't gotten around to installing 'any' hotfixes yet) The only thing so far is loss of breaks on taxi after landing at EHAM and rudder problems which i am 99.9% sure is controller problems.
Sounds good !I was slow to instal the Hotfix 3 but am glad that I did.It fixed the Terrain display issue, Baro knob issue and dome light.It also corrects an autoland annunciation that was incorrect. I have has absolutely no problems with Hotfix 3.I highly recommend it.............................So does PMDG ! Enjoy your flying !! Fred.

I really dont feel its addon related - or if it is then its actually the NGX thats braking it not the addon! In this case here, I had one panel freeze before about 2 or 3 flight I did then HF3 was appiled and since then no other panel freezes until now. The first panel freeze I had weeks ago before HF3 was flying into EGBB, happend as I was taxiing off the runway - I have flown into EGBB many times since - done circuits there - various types of approaches etc and no panel freeze - so in essence if it was addon related then either I would have continued to get freezes there or none at all since the HF - I have flown now half way across the world in my NGX with no panel freezes or CTD so again addon related seems unlikely as I have tested it at multiple areas. I have installed nothing new, changed no settings on anything else etc. So to get a panel freeze now - indicates something wrong with the NGX - that only triggered under certain circumstances. Now the issue arose when I was messing about with HOLDs, and its become apparent that the HOLD function as some bugs - a pre planned route hold the NGX as no issues with. If you add a point and then create a hold at it (so something that isnt part of the Approach or STAR) then it seems to go a bit hay wire - I didnt get an exit armed message - it just quit the hold there and then and turned for next point (doesnt do that with a normal hold) this then created a panel freeze. On further testing at same location - nothing changed no panel freeze there all ok - so again cant be scenery related. However I have added now the correct navdata for VHHX which means a planned hold works - however making a hold up again - the NGX seems to struggle to work out where it is and how to hold in it - again creating an error when exiting the hold. I truly believe that there is some issue with the FMC - which relates to certain procedures or Navdata and how you enter it which can then cause some form of panel freeze - the HOLD Function could be an issue here as even when people arent actually flying holds many of the approaches will contain a HOLD as part of the Missed approach procedure (EGBB did for example when I had freeze previoulsy) Its already been higlighted in these forums that there are some errors and bugs in the FMC - so hopefully a SP will fix these and maybe whatever loop its getting stuck in thats causing freezes.

I really dont feel its addon related - or if it is then its actually the NGX thats braking it not the addon! In this case here, I had one panel freeze before about 2 or 3 flight I did then HF3 was appiled and since then no other panel freezes until now. The first panel freeze I had weeks ago before HF3 was flying into EGBB, happend as I was taxiing off the runway - I have flown into EGBB many times since - done circuits there - various types of approaches etc and no panel freeze - so in essence if it was addon related then either I would have continued to get freezes there or none at all since the HF - I have flown now half way across the world in my NGX with no panel freezes or CTD so again addon related seems unlikely as I have tested it at multiple areas. I have installed nothing new, changed no settings on anything else etc. So to get a panel freeze now - indicates something wrong with the NGX - that only triggered under certain circumstances. Now the issue arose when I was messing about with HOLDs, and its become apparent that the HOLD function as some bugs - a pre planned route hold the NGX as no issues with. If you add a point and then create a hold at it (so something that isnt part of the Approach or STAR) then it seems to go a bit hay wire - I didnt get an exit armed message - it just quit the hold there and then and turned for next point (doesnt do that with a normal hold) this then created a panel freeze. On further testing at same location - nothing changed no panel freeze there all ok - so again cant be scenery related. However I have added now the correct navdata for VHHX which means a planned hold works - however making a hold up again - the NGX seems to struggle to work out where it is and how to hold in it - again creating an error when exiting the hold. I truly believe that there is some issue with the FMC - which relates to certain procedures or Navdata and how you enter it which can then cause some form of panel freeze - the HOLD Function could be an issue here as even when people arent actually flying holds many of the approaches will contain a HOLD as part of the Missed approach procedure (EGBB did for example when I had freeze previoulsy) Its already been higlighted in these forums that there are some errors and bugs in the FMC - so hopefully a SP will fix these and maybe whatever loop its getting stuck in thats causing freezes.
Oh please don't missunderstand me. I am not saying that it is another app (addon) and nothing to do with NGX. What i was suggesting was that maybe there is something within a addon that is reacting to something in the NGX (or vise versa) that is not in other aircraft addons. In other words, if so then this can can be modified to work with the other addons as do all the the other ac. I am not pointing blame at any one app.

Rick Hobbs

Ok...but I really dont feel its anything like that - I think its something to do with the FMC and NAVDATA - The NGX navdata is different in how it reads it - hence why some of the older procedures people have dont work with the NGX even though they work fine with the Queen etc. And the HOLD bug is definantly there - ive seen somewhere esle someone post that exiting a HOLD caused the plane to go into a dive that they couldnt manually come out of.

Ok...but I really dont feel its anything like that - I think its something to do with the FMC and NAVDATA - The NGX navdata is different in how it reads it - hence why some of the older procedures people have dont work with the NGX even though they work fine with the Queen etc. And the HOLD bug is definantly there - ive seen somewhere esle someone post that exiting a HOLD caused the plane to go into a dive that they couldnt manually come out of.
Unfortunately yes i think there is more than one just what i am refering to and i think that is why we are not hearing too much from PMDG right now. They've got thier hands full.Having said that. Why are there people like myself that have not had problems? Very strange.

Rick Hobbs