Sign in to follow this  
Marwan Gharib

Now why didn't this get more traction? the ultimate freeware : Freetrack..the poorman's trackIR alternative

it's a freeware program,in the same sense of Trackir clip pro , using a camera and three lights.. the program can track your head movements and translate them to FSX (or fs2004) Via simconnect.. or trackir interface emulation.

I knew about this program years ago.. managed to build the device once, but never really used it more than once due to my low build quality back then.. it was simply un-reliable...and i couldn't manage to get my head around setting it up...

some days ago i decided to re-build the device using some new techniques i learned...soldering is the most prominent of them all, now i made a solid device that could take some beating.. powered by a usb cable.. with infrared LEDs ... actually it was extremely easy.. only 3 hours of work, and about 5 dollars worth of material (Leds ,resistors & Cables,already had the solder and webcam)

i was pleased to know that it integrates seamlessly with EZCA , as it emulates trackIR's output .. and the result is a wonderful experience...

this is a very quick video i made during testing :

bottom line, it's really worth it...

I use the 3 point cap , though not properly made as I never got down to doing it cleanly but it works perfectly. And it cost me just peanuts.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

It's been mentioned multiple times in this forum actually... There was a TIR5 thread which basically turned into a Freetrack thread

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Facetrack NOIR (version 1.6 beta) works great for me with my PS3 Eyecam. (No headgear required)

It's been mentioned multiple times in this forum actually... There was a TIR5 thread which basically turned into a Freetrack thread
Hello Ryanyeah i know it's not something new, but lots of people miss out on such nice things..so hopefully it'll get the attention of someone who never heard of it.. or perhaps heard but never tried...my point is.. the aura around this thing should have been bigger :) i've been browsing avsim almost daily for the past year and a half.. never did it seem to me that freetrack was used as a wide spread.. reference was always made to TrackIR.. but rarely to it's freeware alternative.. Marwan

Facetrack NOIR (version 1.6 beta) works great for me with my PS3 Eyecam. (No headgear required)
sounds really interesting! i downloaded V 1.5 (couldn't find the beta 1.6, or i guess it needs some donation) but couldn't get it to work.. i set the game protocol to Fake trackir (to get it to work with ezca) ..it managed to get a hold and track my face, but output in fsx seemed stationary (i can tell the program is connected to ezca as the screen positioned it self in a strange skewed view behind the default 737's captain's seat) but never seemed to translate my movement ...also the cam FPS seems rather low, couldn't get it past 10 FPS.. if i use simconnect output there seems some kind of conflict with EZCA..I know it's EZCA compatible (says so on the features list) ,but can't get it working... yet..looks like I have some researching to do :) Marwan

I also use the Facetracknoir it's really nice, but due to bad lighting I switch to Freetrack.
sounds really interesting! i downloaded V 1.5 (couldn't find the beta 1.6, or i guess it needs some donation) but couldn't get it to work.. i set the game protocol to Fake trackir (to get it to work with ezca) ..it managed to get a hold and track my face, but output in fsx seemed stationary (i can tell the program is connected to ezca as the screen positioned it self in a strange skewed view behind the default 737's captain's seat) but never seemed to translate my movement ...also the cam FPS seems rather low, couldn't get it past 10 FPS.. if i use simconnect output there seems some kind of conflict with EZCA..I know it's EZCA compatible (says so on the features list) ,but can't get it working... yet..looks like I have some researching to do :) Marwan
What's EZCA , sounds familiar but can't recollect. Try using Facetrackir interface .
Amazing how simple it is isn't it !
It's just amazing if you set up the model right now hiccups and works well with trackir interface.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus