Sign in to follow this  
Esbops

Engine Start Up Duration

Any idea why does an engine start up progress take so long? In real world, engine start up and its stabilization doesn't take so much.

Just out of curiousity, what are you basing the length of the start-up time from?

In my opinion the engine startup times are as close to the real thing as I have ever seen !! Are you doing things correctly ? Fred.

From what I've seen in videos and when flying in the NG's, the NGX seems almost spot on.

Complete agree!! Don't understand why some continue to post their speculations instead of posting facts/ legimate faults.

What start up times are you experiencing and what amount of time do you THINK is right?

Any idea why does an engine start up progress take so long? In real world, engine start up and its stabilization doesn't take so much.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

First of all, I'm doing everything correctly while in engine start up procedure. I'm so sure about that. Secondly, when operating a real world 738, engine's turning ratio is faster and ignition happens very quickly. There's not an exact time for engine start up and its stabilization but I think that can give you an idea: While pushback is started, captain asks that if Engine 2 is ok to run, if you say that's ok Engine 2 is started up and while approaching onto centerline Engine 2 stalizes. It takes about 10 seconds. I mean engine's running happens very quickly.

Complete agree!! Don't understand why some continue to post their speculations instead of posting facts/ legimate faults.
Not a speculation nameless. It can be a legimate fault though. Because, I have been operating A Boeing 737-800/900 everyday on the ground in real world. That's what I see.

First of all, I'm doing everything correctly while in engine start up procedure. I'm so sure about that. Secondly, when operating a real world 738, engine's turning ratio is faster and ignition happens very quickly. There's not an exact time for engine start up and its stabilization but I think that can give you an idea: While pushback is started, captain asks that if Engine 2 is ok to run, if you say that's ok Engine 2 is started up and while approaching onto centerline Engine 2 stalizes. It takes about 10 seconds. I mean engine's running happens very quickly. Not a speculation nameless. It can be a legimate fault though. Because, I have been operating A Boeing 737-800/900 everyday on the ground in real world. That's what I see.
From the ground and from the cockpit are completely different perspectives. An experienced 737ng FO who worked with PMDG during development implying that the start times are realistic.

From the ground and from the cockpit are completely different perspectives. An experienced 737ng FO who worked with PMDG during development implying that the start times are realistic.
Yes, right. Seeing this stuff working from different perspectives can be misleading for some maybe but while watching engine start up from ground or outside of cockpit it doesn't seem so accurate. I don't want to imply that timing must be so accurate comparing to real world circumstances. But this engine start up and their stabilization duration are much more far away being accurate comparing to real stuff and appliances.

I am sure if you do a search on YouTube you will find numerous videos on the NG engine start from he flight deck. After that you will be amazed as to how closely the NGX simulates it's real counterpart.Dinshaw Parakh.

I am sure if you do a search on YouTube you will find numerous videos on the NG engine start from he flight deck. After that you will be amazed as to how closely the NGX simulates it's real counterpart. Dinshaw Parakh.
I've already watched some of those videos and the procedure is unique one thus that doesn't change so much thing.
Enough said, I guess :)
I don't actually point this. Thanks anyway.

Emre,I fly the route EHAM-LFPG-EHAM regularly in real life (at least once a month) and quite often I get permission to sit on the cockpit jumpseat during these flights. Therefore I have jumpseated a flight in a NG dozens of times and honest to God, I don't understand how you feel the NGX engine startup is not realistic. It is 100% fully spot-on. When looking from an external-view, I agree the spool-up isn't fully fluent, but I'm convinced this is a FSX limitation in how FSX animates the running engine.Maybe that's why you think it is not realistic?

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

Emre,I fly the route EHAM-LFPG-EHAM regularly in real life (at least once a month) and quite often I get permission to sit on the cockpit jumpseat during these flights. Therefore I have jumpseated a flight in a NG dozens of times and honest to God, I don't understand how you feel the NGX engine startup is not realistic. It is 100% fully spot-on.When looking from an external-view, I agree the spool-up isn't fully fluent, but I'm convinced this is a FSX limitation in how FSX animates the running engine.Maybe that's why you think it is not realistic?
That's what I meant before so thank you for your reply Frank! The spool-up isn't fluent enough, yes that's correct. As you point out, there must be an animation absence and because of that it must have misled me during the procedure.