Sign in to follow this  
gtjoha

Running two video-cards for improved FPS?

Read here somewhere about someone running two video-cards at the same time, and got highly improved FPS.I did not know this was possible, but now since I am not so happy with my FPS performance, perhaps I should try.I have an older ATI card lying around here, 512mb or so. Anyone know if it is possible to install this, and use ittogethet with my newer ATI card, and improve my FSX and NGX experience? :) Geir

FSX does not support SLI so no it will not help. Also FSX (as well as previous versions) are much more dependent on the processor for frame rates than the video card. Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I use ATI CFx Xtension with an onboard hd 3000 and a PCIE hd 5450. I got some performance in the early stages but then I do not know what happened the performance was back to the original. FSX has not been coded for crossfire or sli . And crossfire works between similar cards or the cards advised my ATI with a crossfire board. I don't have NGX , But if you want to try it out then go ahead. use the ATI CFX Xtension tool .

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I run 2 ati 6970 2 gig cards 16g ram on a overclocked x6 1090t amd cpu with ssd drives the performance is amazing compared to running a single card not so much in frame rates but a big diffence in performance especially running payware software like orbx

Don't see how this could be because FSX will only use 1 card no matter. You can't force it. FSX will simply ignore the second card.

I run 2 ati 6970 2 gig cards 16g ram on a overclocked x6 1090t amd cpu with ssd drives the performance is amazing compared to running a single card not so much in frame rates but a big diffence in performance especially running payware software like orbx

Interesting reply please explain reason why my system runs far more better now with the inclusion of the 2nd card frame rate wise and quality of scenery displayed plus now i run settings max out where before with single card this was not acheivable

It isn't possible. FSX IS NOT coded for SLI/Crossfire. If anything it will decrease performance, not increase. FSX does not support it, no matter what anybody says. FSX is CPU dependant, changing a single graphics card has minimal effects, adding another usually has detrimental effects on FSX. You must've made other hardware changes at the same time because I can guarantee you, adding a second GPU will NOT increase performance. And you most certainly are not running every setting on max because even a sandy bridge at 5GHz cannot do this without stutters

Placebo effect? Another GFX card makes no difference at all.
Thankyou. Someone with actual knowledge. +1 on the placebo effect

Interesting reply please explain reason why my system runs far more better now with the inclusion of the 2nd card frame rate wise and quality of scenery displayed plus now i run settings max out where before with single card this was not acheivable
Read my post in this topic. FSX is not coded for use with Crossfire or SLI. How are you achieving don't know. I had a boost a couple of times with ATI CFX Xtension but not now .

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I'm running 2 EVGA GTX 590 Hydro 3GB Ram each in SLI mode and 1 EVGA GTX580 1.5GB of RAM borrowed from a friend to do some tests. I am getting better resuts using the GTX 580 then both my 590's. FPS and load time is better on the 580. From all the test I have done I have to agree with NGX, when looking at my GPU monitoring software, I have never noticed both GPU's on 1 of my 590 running, it always shows one of the 2 gpu's included on my card, since both my 590's are in SLI mode I can see all 4 GPU's running but only one is running at 35% while running FSX out of the 4. The 580 is showing between 45% to 70% usage of the GPU. So, to say that running 1 single card with Dual GPU's or 2 videocard's running a multitude of GPU's (4) in SLI mode or Crossfire gives you more FPS is wrong. You might of tweaked something else and noticed that your FPS are better after you installed a second card, but it is not due to having SLI or dual GPU's that you got that result. From my personal experience I would suggest to anyone who wants to change their videocard to seriously think of the EVGA GTX 580 with 3GB of ram, it is cheaper then the GTX 590 and you will get better results the running a GTX 590.

I'm running 2 EVGA GTX 590 Hydro 3GB Ram each in SLI mode and 1 EVGA GTX580 1.5GB of RAM borrowed from a friend to do some tests. I am getting better resuts using the GTX 580 then both my 590's. FPS and load time is better on the 580. From all the test I have done I have to agree with NGX, when looking at my GPU monitoring software, I have never noticed both GPU's on 1 of my 590 running, it always shows one of the 2 gpu's included on my card, since both my 590's are in SLI mode I can see all 4 GPU's running but only one is running at 35% while running FSX out of the 4. The 580 is showing between 45% to 70% usage of the GPU. So, to say that running 1 single card with Dual GPU's or 2 videocard's running a multitude of GPU's (4) in SLI mode or Crossfire gives you more FPS is wrong. You might of tweaked something else and noticed that your FPS are better after you installed a second card, but it is not due to having SLI or dual GPU's that you got that result. From my personal experience I would suggest to anyone who wants to change their videocard to seriously think of the EVGA GTX 580 with 3GB of ram, it is cheaper then the GTX 590 and you will get better results the running a GTX 590.
Hypnotized.gif a 5.2GHz 980x?! That isn't possible!!

Hypnotized.gif a 5.2GHz 980x?! That isn't possible!!
Just updated my system specs, don't have the 980X. But yes I did have it running at 5.2GHz water cooled.

It isn't possible. FSX IS NOT coded for SLI/Crossfire. If anything it will decrease performance, not increase. FSX does not support it, no matter what anybody says. FSX is CPU dependant, changing a single graphics card has minimal effects, adding another usually has detrimental effects on FSX. You must've made other hardware changes at the same time because I can guarantee you, adding a second GPU will NOT increase performance. And you most certainly are not running every setting on max because even a sandy bridge at 5GHz cannot do this without stutters
Di, you are speaking about something you know nothing about....The OP queried the use of two or more graphics cards, and no one said anything about SLI or Crossfire. I have three separate video cards in myP5E64 motherboard and none of them are configured as SLI or crossfire, in fact they are three different cards. Andrew Vincent