Sign in to follow this  
moss1

ORBX PNW FPS Question

Hi everyone,I installed Orbx's PNW last night. I did not adjust any settings as of yet other than default. I loaded default Cessna at KSEA and it was a slide show at best. Is there any hope if I turn down the autogen to normal from dense or very dense as suggested? I ask because the difference between the autogen settings don't make much difference with default FSX however the sim is very usable, not a slide show like now. Any suggestions. Thanks. :) Best regards, Jeff System: Core2duo 3.2GHZ / Windows 7 32bit / 4 Gigs Ram / 512mb - ATI Radeon 4670 HD Mobility Video Card

The KSEA area is tough on a lot of computers and some of your components are probably not helping ( W#indows 32bit will only use 2 Gb of RAM even though you have 4 GB for example)The PNW scenery manual has suggestions for the levels to use based on your computer specs and so lowering the autogen a little may help. But also try flying out of Bowerman, Orbx just released amazing free airport scenery for the airport and it seems to be pretty easy on the frame rates and looks stunning.

On my system when I am using Orbx PNW I have to run the autogen at "normal". The autogen settings affect my frame rates tremendously!

The downtown Seattle area is the worst by far in terms of frame rate. Even a short distance away, the FPS begins to improve and over the rest of the scenery it's very smooth for me. The patches have improved performance slightly, but you still have to either just live with the lower FPS or turn down some settings. Make sure you have "scenery shadows" turned off. Because of the dense autogen, they have a big impact. Also you have to have them turned off for the grass and other objects to appear correctly if you decide to buy one of their addon airports.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Seattle is the worst area. My system isn't way different than yours (see signature below) and it is dated by today's standards, but it is a Quad Core. I am easily getting 30 plus FPS in most areas, but at CYVR I drop down to around 18-22 (still quite smooth) and in Sea-Tac 12-18, but it picks up to over 20 pretty quickly as I leave the area. I set my autogen to dense for rural areas, but drop it to normal for the big cities. I also keep car traffic at 0 which helps quite a lot with smoothness. I keep AI at 25% and use 2x Low Water. Those numbers are with default or Carenado aircraft.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

As c152 said, get the free Bowerman airport and then see how you find PNW. A totally amazing flight sim environment.

Just about every setting is critical at Seattle, Jeff. With a C2D you're not going to get rid of poor frames and stuttering, but Bojote's tweaks make a good difference, Shaders v3.0/Water=High 2.x make a difference. Cloud distance and detail will make a difference: One of the settings to add or modify in the fsx.cfg is under [Main]FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15 This will smooth the sim out. Default is 0.33, and you can take it as low as you want, but below about 10 it will cause blurries. Add this to[Terrain]TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1400TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=2000 Limit your frames to about 24. No other traffic. LOD=3.5. Have you patched PNW? 004 plus the Library 110614 are both necessities.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi everyone,Thanks for your replies.@PJ, what is "004 plus the Library 110614" are these included in the patch by chance?I've had FSX fully tuned for a long time running very good. It's just when PNW went in...wow that's when I noticed a large enough hit to be concerned. But this is of course without regards to their autogen VS the default FSX, so I will have to have a look there.Also, I guess I do need a patch? I thought it might have been rolled into the latest download. If not, I will get that immediately once confirmed here. Thanks guys. :)EDIT: I am downloading the 004 patch and 110614 library Stuff along with KHQM now. I will install and let you know how it goes along with a couple of things I will try. Thanks again for pointing me to this. Best regards, Jeff