Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Question Re SimConnect Setup

Hello Jim et al I'm somewhat confused about how to setup ASE across a network. The manual states I must edit the SimConnect files, but concerned that doing so will cause issues with other addons I run on the client PC. This the currect SimConnect setup. Is this no good for ASE?

....also, I can't seem to get the simconnect.msi to install on my client PC running WinXP. It doesn't supply any error message, just seems to end the installation premiturely. I can then find no sign of Simconnect on the PC. Any ideas?

Hi, Were you already using anything on the client that uses SimConnect or is ASE the first program? S.C. gets installed into your Windows folder under SxS and the installer runs real fast.

Hi Jim I guess you mean the one called WinSxS containing lots of files called x86_Microsoft.VC80..... etc? Don't actually see anything called Simconnect. Also, there was no 'SimConnect.cfg' created in the My Documents' folder. I've manually created one but don't know if that'll work or not yet. I have a number of FS apps running on the client, including: Flightsim CommanderProflight Emulator DeluxeElecronic Flightbag Don't know which of those, if any use SC. Probably a stupid question but, should the 'Start FSX' button/icon work when running ASE on a client PC? ThanksBy the way Jim, I do understand and appreciate that any confusion is purely on my part. From what I've seen so far AND from what others have told me, it's a beautifully laid out interface.

Sorry to be pain in the **** Jim, but I have problems here that I can't sort on my own. As someone else here said a while ago... think I need a spot of 'hand holding'. As you know, I'm now running ASE on the client PC. I THINK that Simconnect is now sorted (but could easily be wrong), but I don't seem able to get ASE talking to FSX across the network. Selecting 'Lock to Aircraft' does nothing when FSX is running. I did the Simconnect check you mention in manual, using SDK toolkit, but then realised that does nothing on the network of course. Can do nothing now - exausted and off to bed. Hopefully get comms with you tomorrow... Cheers

Phil, You have been through a lot the last month and the last thing you need is to torture yourself with all of this. Is there someone nearby that can come over to your place and go through things with you? The 3 configuration files are not created or put into place. Given the files, you need to put in the pertinent information for your computer and place them in the proper locations, one on the client, two on the server. I think all those programs are using FSUIPC and Wide FS.

Ah, so all those posts I read where people are moaning about Simconnect were about right then eh? Still, looking forward to eventually getting it running... (I'll 'tinker' for a while with it and see what hapens) What's the simplest method for confirming that ASE and FSX are are actually 'talking' across the network Jim?

Hi, Yes and no. Network users got spoiled before because of the simple and straight forward method of FSUIPC/Wide FS. They most likely had FSUIPC installed already and then added Wide FS, made a few security adjustments, ran Wide FS and their program(s) and off they went to fly. SimConnect comes along and it involves 3 SDKs, 3 configuration files, network addresses, ports, firewalls, and the programs themselves. So it is a lot less automatic and more of a job setting it up. I'll admit that when we first started, I tried and I couldn't do it, because I wasn't taking my time and following all the steps. So I set it aside for a few weeks and came back to it later. Then I figured it out and it's not problem now for me. The other thing is that once it is set up, any program that uses SC can be installed and is ready to go. Like I have ASX, ASA, ASE, X Graphics all on a client and I could run everything all with the same SC set up. Run the AI traffic utility with FSX running on the server. If it shows activity you know SC is working. With ASE, you can test by going to the Map page and clicking on the Lock to FS Location box. With FSX running, you should be able to check the box. If they are not communicating then you won't be able to check the box. There are some other ways, but that is the easiest.

Hi Dougal, I spent the better part of a Sunday trying to get ASE to work across a network...I finally did so I thought I'd share the key things that made it work for me. 1. I installed the SDK on both the client and the server PC. The instructions don't say this explicitly, but the instructions do say to run the AI traffic program on the client as a test, and that program isn't on the client unless you install SDK, so I did. I installed the first one from the Deluxe disc 1, then from the acceleration disk I installed SP1a and finally the Acceleration SDK. Putting SDK on the client may have nothing to do with the result...Jim would know more about that. 2. The SDK install doesn't put the Simconnect files in the required folders. That was an incorrect assumption I made. I did a search on the harddrive for simconnect.ini, simconnect.cfg and simconnect.xml. I then copied and pasted the files where they need to be per the instructions. The xml and ini files go on the server and the cfg file goes on the client. 3. Lastly, I used the server PC name as the address in BOTH the cfg and xml file. I tried the numeric IP address, but that didn't work. I noticed in your xml file above, the address is blank. You can get the PC name from the "my computer" system information. Type it in as follows: <Address>PCname</Address>. This worked for me. I had the in sim text button checked in ASE so I could see that the weather was loading on FSK, but the lock to FS position should work too. Good Luck! I hope this helps. Oh...key point....re-boot after making the changes....server first, then client. --Don

Don Polidori

Hi, 1. The 3 SDKs all go on the client and the SimConnect.msi files run because that is the way to get SimConnect installed on the client computer. They do not need to be installed on the server computer. Installing FSX takes care of installing SimConnect on the server.

Thank you both. A shed load of data there to be going on with. It seems incredible to me that this should be so complicatied but, like you say Jim, guess I've been spoilt with the likes of FSUIPC. I certainly had no idea the SDK had to be installed on the client but, thinking about it, that's logical of course and makes perfect sense. I'll just do as you suggest Jim and take it very slowly. I guess if you included everything about SC in your ASE manual, it would probably quadrouple in size;-) Hey Jim, just spotted your 'post' count... When do you EVER get time to fly???

By the way, EFB from Aivlasoft connects okay using Simconnect, so presumably, that means I already had SC on the client? Sorry to seem so 'dumb' guys, but networking has always been a particular 'bugbear' of mine.

Hi, My flight time has been greatly reduced in the last month! Yes, that is true about EFB but it doesn't seem to need those 3 configuration files in place.

I'm starting to really struggle with this - I just can't get Simconnect/ASE to 'talk' to FSX on the server. Don't really know if I should be posting here or on the Simconnect forum...? The network iteslf seems sound. ASE (and other apps) accept the shared folders on the server, and each folder can be read and written to. I have 'simconnect.cfg' in the 'My Documents' folder on the client, which contains the following:

[simConnect]Protocol=IPv4Address=192.168.1.71Port=500MaxReceiveSize=4096DisableNagle=0

On the server, there's 'simconnect.xml' in C:\Users\Dougal\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX containing this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?><SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0">	<Descr>SimConnect</Descr>	<Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename>	<Disabled>False</Disabled>	<SimConnect.Comm>    	<Disabled>False</Disabled>    	<Protocol>IPv4</Protocol>    	<Scope>global</Scope>    	<Address>192.168.1.78</Address>    	<MaxClients>64</MaxClients>    	<Port>500</Port>    	<MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize>    	<DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle>	</SimConnect.Comm><SimConnect.Comm><Disabled>False</Disabled><Protocol>Auto</Protocol><Scope>local</Scope></SimConnect.Comm></SimBase.Document>

And 'simconnect.ini' in D:\Flight Simulator X Files, containing:

[simConnect]level=offconsole=1;OutputDebugString=0;file=c:\SimConnect%03u.log;file_next_index=1;RedirectStdOutToConsole=0

================================================= I've double checked the IP addresses, and also tried substituting for PC names. As per the ASE manual, if attempting to run the SDK 'AI Traffic.exe' from the client while FSX is running on the server, then AI Traffic.exe' closes after about 15-20seconds (not straight away). Simconnect is running correctly on the server, as the consul reports the version and some PMDG activity. If anyone can spot any errors there, or throw any light on what the issue might be, I'd be very grateful.