Sign in to follow this  
B777ER

What do you know...another frozen panel

I feel for those having issues, I was getting lockups freezes but in my case it was a tweak I applied, do you still get the issues if you delete the fsx.cfg and let it rebuild. Perhaps PMDG support could teamview into some select PC and see if they can find a trend be it hardware, software etc etc. They know what to look for we did not write it so really are clueless

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

After installing the NXG my PMDG 747 gets panel freezes now as well. No other aircraft in FSX does this except for the 737 and 747 sometimes now. I found the fix. All you have to do is create a new vc view in a new window and then the freeze is gone. I can confirm this on the 737 and 747. This is a manageable fix for now until PMDG nails it. I'm sure they will figure it out those guys are geniuses. I do have to disagree with it only being a "computer hardware" problem though.

I've had the NGX now for almost 3 weeks, and, for the record, in that time, I've managed to complete a single flight, the tutorial from EGKK to EHAM, which I managed with the first hotfix. Certainly, even in the compass of that short flight I saw what the simulation could do. I was amazed at the fidelity to systems described ; and even flying into EHAM with Aerosoft'sMEga Scenery and UT2, I was getting FPS of 20. However, that flight took several days to achieve since, for the first few days, (and for the first time since I switched to XP64 a couple of years back) I was experiencing OOM problems, often as the plane was loading. However, folllowing the advice of one forum member, I disabled prefetch, and was able, at least, to take off, Then I started to experience the freezes, and despite the application of 3 hotifixes and the reinstallation of the RTM I've so far experienced 26 of them; so, for much of this holiday month, my simming has been a complete waste of time. Obviously, I've been watching to forums here since day 1, But I've not yet put any support tickets, since PMDG are clearly swamped by them, and are devoting huge resources to sorting this out.No one can accuse the team of being in denial about this -- 3 hotfixes this month attests to that -- and they are clearly baffled by the fact that these issues didn't show up in beta testing. However, I wish to take issue firstly with the suggestion that it's a small minority who are suffering these problems, since there will be many experienced simmers ( like me) who have decided not to join the fray and lodge a support ticket but wait, in silence, and in expectation, for the industrial strength fix which surely will come from the team. I agree with Ryan's assertion in this thread that that it is not a matter of 'code flaw'. What we're dealing with here is not a simple bug, it's a syndrome; and, by their very nature, syndromes, in programming and in medicine, are always tricky to diagnose since there are so many variables lying behind the code I have tried to eliminate all kinds of 'variables', running FSX without add-ons -- ASE, UT2 -- and reducing the sliders to the far left, reducing the texture size from 4096 to 1024, but no real pattern has emerged, other than first, the freeze 'sometimes' happens after I switch views to external, and the back third of the fuselage is transparent / skeletal; secondly, it sometime 'happens' when the joystick is moved and AP disconnects; and thirdly, 'sometimes' there is a strange feedback noise. But again, no strict cause and effect. I can only sympathise with PMDG, since they are in unknown territory with this. Clearly, as ths and other threads show, there are a lot of people who are now beginning lose patience; and there many others, like me (and several others who I have spoken to in my community), who are just sitting by waiting for solutions. David Pascoe i7870 2.93 GHz | 4GB DDR3 1600MHzGTX 460 DDR5 1GB | WinXP 64bit

aaronrash thats very interesting would be good to see if that works for others as well

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

"And again I disagree when you say that it can't be an error in your code. Please explain us why most of us have absolutely no problem with other airplanes but only with the NGX? Errors in complex software not always can be reproduced by doing the same step again and again. Can you do exactly the same steps within FSX on another flight? I doubt that" +1 I'm experiencing freezes everytime I fly the NGX and I can confirm I have not seen any while flying Concorde_X with the PC spec. described below. Is Concorde X a less demanding addon than the NGX ? Not sure about that. Once the freeze issue will be fixed for everyone, the 737 NGX will well deserve its reputation : one of the (very few) best FSX addon ever made due to its high degree of modelization. PS talking about sensations, Concorde will stay (for me at least) the first one

Not often I wade into a room with children throwing their toys out of the pram but I feel I must here. First off, with the RC of the NGX I would experience the occasional panel freeze with the NGX, but following HF3, I get none at all. I have several friends who I fly with and we've all spent time setting our systems up a certain way, ensuring that certain items are up to date and installing them if they are not there. Since HF3, none of us have had any problems what so ever. Therefore how can there be a coding issue if we don't get issues and you still do? I've flown around 50+ hours so far and had none of the issues you are reporting e.g. skeletal aircraft, crashes/freezes with the HUGS I think it's out of order that you all still moan even with PMDG trying to help you out. Ok so they might not be dealing with yourselves directly but its in their own interests to have a product that works. If they can't reproduce the problem what more can they do? This would point towards a user error or more likely a users system. To keep moaning that you can't sim still is ridiculous . I seriously think you chaps need to re-look at your systems and how you have FSX set up. I don't run any programmes that aim to boost memory like game booster, I have a clean, updated OS with drivers that are up to date. Just my 2p. Cheers Tim

It must be a piece of hardware that some of us have that's conflicting with the NGX. That's the only explanation that makes since. Far to many people are having this problem for it not to be a problem. Not everyone can afford to build a new system just for flight simulator. It should work on everyone's system. I'm not complaining and I don't get very many panel freezes (very lucky) but I still do get them from time to time and I have a very clean system without allot of these fsx addons people have. Several friends of mine have had to reinstall fsx just to get the NGX working properly. It should never come to this. When a team puts 3 years into building code miles long there is going to be errors, thats just the nature of computer programing... I know PMDG has to be surprised with all the problems people are having especially since they held the release for so long to make sure it's perfect has got to be a disappointment. Once again I believe it's hardware.

So to summarize:

• A significant minority of users are seeing the freeze issue (I feel a poll coming on)
  • PMDG are looking at the problem but haven't managed to reproduce it yet
  • No one really knows were the problem area might be

This kind of issue isn't that unusual in the software world and is always the hardest to fix, so firstly, I'd give them (pmdg) a little time. The second thing I'd do is try to identify what happens with resources just before and during the problem. I'm not seeing any issues so also could not reproduce it. As a start I would setup windows perfmon to log all the usual suspects (mem, page file, cpu usage, threads yadayadayada) and look at the results after the crash/freeze. With any luck, you should be able to identify the area thats causing the problem. Once you think you've got what your looking for, do it again at least three times. If you look at the graphs produced by the data collector sets in perfmon, you should be able to figure out what was happening at the time the issue occurred. Perfmon can be complex to use, but basically you should use the performance template data collector set, make a copy, set the schedule and stop condition and run FSX with you're best scenario at seeing the problem. Please see the help topics and ms website if you need info on how to use perfmon. It's a bit of a pain to do all this, but if I were seeing the problem and it was stopping me from using the product, I would do it and try to help debug the problem.

Hi just to add my thoughts on this where no one has mentioned in the past 2 or so weeks is the download of the ngx. Seems to me that this is the most common dominator of everything here, everyone is saying hardware where someone are expriencing faults and some are not with similiar hardware. So was wondering how far off the mark am i, so dont flame me down it only a suggestion since it hasnt been brought up as of yet,

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Hi just to add my thoughts on this where no one has mentioned in the past 2 or so weeks is the download of the ngx. Seems to me that this is the most common dominator of everything here, everyone is saying hardware where someone are expriencing faults and some are not with similiar hardware. So was wondering how far off the mark am i, so dont flame me down it only a suggestion since it hasnt been brought up as of yet,
I think the freezing issue is unlikely to be a download issue although it could be something to do with the install and permissions. If the downloaded file is corrupt in any way, windows would I think report this when you tried to execute it.

Another landing just now and another panel freeze while FSX hums along in the background with no issues. Just absolutely fed up with this software. Over three years and yet it still has a showstopper bug and yet even though numerous people are reporting it, not one flipping word from pmdg. If pmdg was a brick and mortar store, I would have returned with the receipt. Not even saying anything to the numerous people having this issue which basically forces one to shut down FSX to reset everything is pitiful. Far be it for RSR or anyone to grace their own forums to at least let us know what is going on with this major bug!
Sorry to nag, but has anyone still experiencing these problems actually tried this yet?http://forum.avsim.net/topic/346598-freezes-ctds-try-this/page__p__2088745#entry2088745If not, then may I (again) urge you to do so? Tim

i think then what we need is a sticky with exact specs of your guys [PMDG and willing beta testers] systems down to actual component part numbers for those of us needing to build faster rigs for the NGX.
Including config files.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Ryan. I appear to be one of the lucky ones (hopefully it continues), but i feel i must wade in here and take issue with your offer to allow people to see that you and your beta team are not having problems. That's not what these people want. They want to know how you do it. Nobody is questioning your integrity here. It seems to me that generalizations like 'Reduce this' and 'Cut back on that' isn't going to do it. It may be painfull but maybe its going to have to be specific settings and configs for specific pc specs if what you are saying basically is, there is not a problem with your software, because from that i am interpeting that a fix is not being investigated because there is no bug.Best Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

They're investigating a fix. If/when they find one, they don't have to tell anyone how they did it. That's just silly - why would anyone think they're entitled to programming practices? If PMDG wants to share, and they often do, then that's great, but you don't get to demand it. You spend even more money on Microsoft Windows - do you demand that they post updates on how they code everything and throw a huge fit on a forum for every bug you find? I try to stay out of these things, but it's just getting ridiculous. They're aware that there's a problem and they're trying to fix it. Why wouldn't they? Have they ever in the past shown a 'sorry, you already paid us so we no longer care about you' attitude? They're not the un-nameable company. They may occasionally come across as arrogant, and sometimes they can be a bit obnoxious (I once got into an e-mail spat with someone, maybe Robert, about having to pay for a re-download after the policy changed that wasn't in place when I bought it - it ultimately ended up positive even though I'm sure both of us were less than thrilled) but seriously, they're not ignoring the freezing/CTD/other problems. That's just ridiculous. The inability to activate is probably a higher priority - those people can't use the plane at all. Try to relax and be patient. If you're so furious about being unable to use the plane due to CTDs or whatever, maybe ask for a refund or something until they get it sorted out. Otherwise try un-overclocking and see if that helps. Try lowering settings and seeing if that helps. If nothing else, any positive results you get via that can be communicated to PMDG to help them with the issue. Stop demanding that PMDG owes you anything other than the software and support. Updates on exactly what they're doing are nice but none of us have the right to demand them. Apologies for the rant. It's just getting tiresome. -stefan

I had these freezes too, and in a large frequency. I made a flight in which the panel just froze at the time the plane touched the runway. It was my only full flight so far.But I noticed something important. If I stay flying in circuit, with touch / go, toucth / go, without turning on the autopilot, without autoland, only in manual flight, I can spend hours flying without a freeze.Someone of you have got it too?Of course I'm upset at not being able to fly this machine as I would like. And knowing that more people are experiencing freezes makes me a little more resigned, after all I am not alone in this problem.But I come back here to say what I said in another forum: my confidence in PMDG remains unshaken. Days with light winds yet to come.

Best regards

Cristiano Mueller