Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Fastest way to do practice approaches?

What are the minimum inputs I need to make to the FMS if I want to stay in my local area and do approaches? If I don't do anything I get the takeoff config horns sounding (annoying lol)... so can I just input the weights/balance stuff? EDIT: Also I want the A/P to function, but no LNAV or VNAV needed (I'll do all that manually).

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Fuel & Payload so that you will have the proper ZFW and CG.Pos init.Dep airport & runway..... arrival airport and & runway and perf init page.Takeoff page for flaps and Vspeeds. Will help if you use the approach page too for Vref and flap speeds.

Also...........if you just want to practise approaches, slew up to about 3000 ft and 10 miles back.(only takes seconds to do)

Ok I did most of the perf init stuff and was able to get going. But now I'm running into the same problem I've been having regarding single channel and ILS approaches. I self vector myself but the APP mode never seems to work. Is this something I absolutely have to program into the FMS? For instance, I selected VOR/LOC mode off heading 300, then it joined the localizer. I then tried to select CMD B in addition to A, but it only switched channels, ie it changed from A to B. Why? So I stick with CMD A, then arm APP, but the light goes off and it's like I cannot select APP mode even after I'm established on the localizer. Here's the setup pic: singlechannel.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Make sure you select what arrival you are doing in the FMC... in the picture above it looks it should be an ILS27. Everyone seems to foget this and wonder why it never it works.... don't forget that once fully established on G/S to select the CMD B :)

Another way to approach this would be using an airport of choice as the DEP and ARR airport. We do that quite frequently when doing maintenance test/evaluation flights. 1. Simply input the departure in the field and the arrival in the respective field. 2. Be sure to select runways of choice and the SID or a specific FIX/VOR/NDB for the departure runway, and a STAR if applicable for the arrival rumway. I usually edit the STAR or the SID if I do not want to fly the entire thing. I use 4000 feet and then select the necessary parameters for length of the field, etc. I usually save the route and it is there whenever I need it. Another option which I have not tried for practicing approaches is Luis Gorgo's Instructor station which allows one to reposition the aircraft on a downwind or base leg. Now with the NGX doing this of course is going to place the aircraft in a non-configured state. With which you will have to get it configured for the approach which should not be too difficult to do once you set the fuel and payload before repositioning the aircraft.

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

Make sure you select what arrival you are doing in the FMC... in the picture above it looks it should be an ILS27. Everyone seems to foget this and wonder why it never it works.... don't forget that once fully established on G/S to select the CMD B :)
That's another question - so I actually have to input the approach into the FMC if I want A/P guidance? Oh darn, I select CMD B AFTER established on the g/s? See maybe that's where Im confused - I thought I select it when established on the localizer.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Also make sure that you have BOTH the pilots' frequencies and courses set at the correct frequencies and runway courses. Henri

Henri Arsenault

That's another question - so I actually have to input the approach into the FMC if I want A/P guidance?
Basically Yes !! Just select an ils runway.You don't need to wait until localizer or glideslope capture to select CMD B.As long as you are on intercept and have pushed APP. I also noticed in your pic that the localizer has been captured but your pitch mode is ALT HOLD !!you would then press APP to capture the glideslope.Also your gear is down but you are still only at flaps 5 !! A good rule of thumb to remember is when the glideslope diamond starts to move down !!Gear down and flaps 15 !!(arm speed brakes....shift + / ) and set autobrakes to 2 or 3Speed bug then down to match flaps 15.At about 3-5 miles out, flaps 30 and speed bug down to match flaps 30 + 5.Which will of course be your Vref speed.Just park the speed bug on top of the Vref number and that will give you Vref + 5.

That's another question - so I actually have to input the approach into the FMC if I want A/P guidance? Oh darn, I select CMD B AFTER established on the g/s? See maybe that's where Im confused - I thought I select it when established on the localizer.
Yep, you'll right in everything there!

What are the minimum inputs I need to make to the FMS if I want to stay in my local area and do approaches? If I don't do anything I get the takeoff config horns sounding (annoying lol)... so can I just input the weights/balance stuff? EDIT: Also I want the A/P to function, but no LNAV or VNAV needed (I'll do all that manually).
You don't have to do anything to the FMS to practice takeoffs and landings. The horn sounds because the aircraft is not configured for takeoff (ie flaps not set, parking brake set). The config horn is not affected by the fms.

Basically Yes !! Just select an ils runway.You don't need to wait until localizer or glideslope capture to select CMD B.As long as you are on intercept and have pushed APP. I also noticed in your pic that the localizer has been captured but your pitch mode is ALT HOLD !!you would then press APP to capture the glideslope.Also your gear is down but you are still only at flaps 5 !!
But I try to press APP and it does not engage, and then SINGLE CH appears in yellow on the PFD. Both ILS freqs and OBS selected. Edit: After selecting the approach in my FMC it now flies the APP (and the button actually worked for once) but still says single CH... from what I read it should turn off at a certain altitude on final? And finally, when I go missed I cannot disabled the A/P functions without a hard white bar disengage. Even after I do that I still can't press any modes... what's with that? singlech2.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

But I try to press APP and it does not engage, and then SINGLE CH appears in yellow on the PFD. Both ILS freqs and OBS selected.
I understand what you are saying !! Do a few more practise runs and also it would be better to be using the Map display on the ND.You are doing something wrong but 1 photo is not enough info to go on.Try to be no higher than 3000 ft when you capture the localizer.Otherwise you will be too high for glideslope capture.

That Pic is spot on !! Single Channel is the correct annunciation above 1500 ft.It will change to LAND 3 or CMD depending on which type of autoland you have chosen.Land 3 for fail operational and CMD for fail passive. One step at a time !Leave the missed approaches for another day !!