Sign in to follow this  
mcogswell

B-25 / R4D latest downloads and FSX

I just purchased the latest FSX downloads for BT (v7) and the R4D (v10). I've an old version of the R4D for years and really missed having it in FSX. Anyways - I have a couple of questions. The emails that gave the the download links also pointed me to the frre stuff links for both planes. Both of them have anFSX TRANSPARENCY FIX FOR SP2/ACCELERATION link. However, the one for Briefing Time says it's not required or compatible with the v7 download. What about the R4D? Do I need it since I downloaded the FSX version? I downloaded the users manuals and the scanned original manuals for both aircraft. Most of the other "free stuff" items for both aircraft seem to reference with FS2002 or FS2004. What, if any, of the items in free stuff are applicable to the current FSX downloads? Thanks Mike

Hi Mike, The v10 FSX R4D, like the v7 B-25, already has the FSX patches and transparency fixes applied. The read1st files of the aircraft make that clear, but I'll annotate the Free Stuff Pages for the R4D to clarify that. All of the repaints are still useable with the latest versions of both aircraft. On the other hand, none of the files in the first category of theFree Stuff Pages, MAAM-SIM Issued Upgrades and Add-Ons, are needed as they are all included in the newest versions. Having said that, I'm getting ready to upload one such upgrade that will be applicable to v10 of the FSX R4D: a wide-screen 2d panel option, like the one included in the v7 B-25.

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Hi Mike, The v10 FSX R4D, like the v7 B-25, already has the FSX patches and transparency fixes applied. The read1st files of the aircraft make that clear, but I'll annotate the Free Stuff Pages for the R4D to clarify that. All of the repaints are still useable with the latest versions of both aircraft. On the other hand, none of the files in the first category of theFree Stuff Pages, MAAM-SIM Issued Upgrades and Add-Ons, are needed as they are all included in the newest versions. Having said that, I'm getting ready to upload one such upgrade that will be applicable to v10 of the FSX R4D: a wide-screen 2d panel option, like the one included in the v7 B-25.
Bill, Thank you very much for your response. I'm pleased to hear the various repaints will all work, and that the other goodies are already included. I do believe however, that you are mistaken about the R4D read1st file. Perhaps I am somehow overlooking it, but I don't see any mention of the FSX SP fix. I'm really looking forward to the wide-screen panel, since I happen to have a wide-screen display. Thanks very much! In the meantime, I'm enjoying getting re-aquainted with the fabulous R4D. It has always been my favorite plane amongst all the planes and all the simulators. (and I've had dozens of them over the years). I look forward to learning to fly the B-25 "by the book" as well. Of course, the R4D has set a very high standard in my opinion. Regards, Mike

Hi Mike, You're right. I thought I put it in the readme, but where I actually wrote it was in the detailed product description on our Online Store: "This is a port-over version of the FS9 version of the package modified for Flight Simulator X. It is compatible with all editions of FSX, including Service Pack 2 and the Acceleration.Essentially, what you get is the FS9 package with the FSX Basic Compatibility Upgrade and SP2 Transparency Fix already included in an automatic installer so that no further patching is required." Thanks for your kind comments.

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org