I switched affinity mask from 14 to 12 today and noticed a small improvement with my stutter problem. So I went down to 7 and saw an even bigger improvement in smoothenss. What does the 7 value represent again? Regards

CPU: i7-9700KF stable @ 5.0GHz | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti @ stock | RAM: G. Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz | PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus | COOLING: Deepcool Castle 240 AIO | PANEL: 27" @ 1080p

I switched affinity mask from 14 to 12 today and noticed a small improvement with my stutter problem. So I went down to 7 and saw an even bigger improvement in smoothenss. What does the 7 value represent again? Regards
According to Word Not Allowed who told me 7 is for 3 cores.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Cores 2, 1 & 0

According to Word Not Allowed who told me 7 is for 3 cores.
Really? It's working the best for me

CPU: i7-9700KF stable @ 5.0GHz | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti @ stock | RAM: G. Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz | PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus | COOLING: Deepcool Castle 240 AIO | PANEL: 27" @ 1080p

Really? It's working the best for me
That;s good and I suppose that is the four core cpu ? check under task manager what are core usages during fsx.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I thought 3 cores was 14? http://forum.avsim.n...ost__p__2091848 I think I'll try changing it to 7 then and see what happens. Edit: Could this be the "key"? http://fsxtimes.wordpress.com/2010/08/18/affinitymask/ So "14" is the last 3 cores and "7" is the first three? So I'm going to try 14 then 7 and see what happens. Right now I have it set to 15 for all four cores.

Edited by EdwardSm

Edward Smoker Sr.

Theoretically, 14 should work best for 2500K. Using 7 on 2500K doesn't make sense. Learning NUMBERS for Affinitymask doesn't make sense! See this picture. Type in the number, and it shows you which cores are used, just have to think it backwards, from right to left. Rightest number is Core0 and so on. And btw. you gotta switch the Calc to Programmer...

I don't have an i5; however, mine is a quad core and I tried 14 for last nights flight. I did not notice a gain in frames but the flight was smooth the entire way. Not one stutter the whole four hours. One thing I did was to make sure my addons were running at core 0. Word Not Allowed, I would like to pic your wisdom and knowledge while I have the opportunity and ask why do you feel an affinity mask of 7 would not work well? If that is the first three cores (cores o, 1, 2) shouldn't it work just as well as 14 ( cores 3, 2, 1)?

Edward Smoker Sr.

On the theory that Windows will use the first core (Core0) and possibly interfere with smooth flight,AF=14 leaves that core offloaded from FSX work.

Bert

I don't have an i5; however, mine is a quad core and I tried 14 for last nights flight. I did not notice a gain in frames but the flight was smooth the entire way. Not one stutter the whole four hours. One thing I did was to make sure my addons were running at core 0. Word Not Allowed, I would like to pic your wisdom and knowledge while I have the opportunity and ask why do you feel an affinity mask of 7 would not work well? If that is the first three cores (cores o, 1, 2) shouldn't it work just as well as 14 ( cores 3, 2, 1)?
By default, FSX fibers can't be moved to any other core than Core0.Config 7: 0 = Fibers+Main Thread, Core1+2 = Texture Loaders, Core3 = unusedConfig 14: 0 = Fibers, 1 = Main Thread, Core2+3 = Texture LoadersOr so goes the definition...As fibers need relatively little CPU, and most addons run from Core0, would mean FSX is running optimized for a quad core system.You will notice on quad system with 14, Core1 will most of the time be loaded to the max.
On the theory that Windows will use the first core (Core0) and possibly interfere with smooth flight,AF=14 leaves that core offloaded from FSX work.
Not completely. Only fibers remain there as they can't be moved. I forgot though, what "fibers" are. I only remember it from various massive threads we did here a year ago.

Not completely. Only fibers remain there as they can't be moved. I forgot though, what "fibers" are. I only remember it from various massive threads we did here a year ago.
That is my understanding as well. These fibers (whatever they are) do not consumemuch CPU power, so with AF=14, Core0 is pretty lightly loaded as you can see in the Task Manager.

Bert

Word Not Allowed, thank you again! Your insight is always welcomed and appreciated.

Edward Smoker Sr.

Word Not Allowed, thank you again! Your insight is always welcomed and appreciated.
Glad it worked out.

Word Not Allowed,I have Windows 7 64 with Intel i7 CPU X980 6 cores 3,33 GHZ . Will you please advise my "Affinity Mask" numberThanks

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

62 I think. That's cores 1-5 used, leaving core 0 free (FSX's fibers can't be moved from here so that core is still used)