Sign in to follow this  
Hirgab

Only 2 of 4 cores are running at maximum capacity

Hi all, I just noticed that when running FSX, that only 2 cores are running at maximum capacity whereas the 2 other cores are running well below capacity, as opposed to all cores sharing the load equally (which I believe would give me a boost in performance) Please see attached screenshot. This is my fsx.CFG, please comment and let me know if I'm doing something wrong. All help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. // This file was tweaked on Jan 23, 2011 at 01:26 GMT using Bojote's automated FSX Tweaking & Tuning Service// Your 'original' fsx.CFG file was backed up at http://www.venetubo.com/fsx/f2cda79699eef2d7e6a2b2cd25b92684/backup/fsx_backup.cfg// This file is optimized as follows: 4 core(s), CPU speed 2, HT 0, GPU 4, PREF 2// You can visit Bojote's FSX Tweaking & Tuning service at http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html [bufferPools]RejectThreshold=131072[VirtualCopilot]VirtualCopilotActive=0 [sOUND]AmbientUI=0AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000PrimaryDevice={DEF00000-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}SOUND=1SOUND_LOD=1SOUND_QUALITY=2UISound=1VoiceDevice={DEF00002-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}SOUND_FADER1=0.740000SOUND_FADER2=0.500000SOUND_FADER3=0.500000SOUND_FADER4=1.000000AmbientUIMusic=FSX01[slewTextInfo.1]AirSpeed=1,5Altitude=1,3Heading=1,4Latitude=1,1Longitude=1,2 [AContain]LabelColor=FFFF0000LabelDelay=1000ShowLabelAirline=0ShowLabelAirlineAndFlightNumber=0ShowLabelAirspeed=0ShowLabelAltitude=0ShowLabelContainerId=0ShowLabelDistance=0ShowLabelFlightPlan=1ShowLabelHeading=0ShowLabelManufacturer=0ShowLabelModel=0ShowLabelTailNumber=0ShowLabels=0ShowUserLabel=0 [ATC]AutoOpenAirTrafficWindow=0COMM_MSG_AI_ATC_COLOR=FFFF7840COMM_MSG_ATC_AI_COLOR=FF00FF00COMM_MSG_ATC_USER_COLOR=FFB6FFB6COMM_MSG_NONE_COLOR=FFFFFFFFCOMM_MSG_USER_ATC_COLOR=FFFFD21BPilotVoice=0ShowATCText=1UsePilotVoice=0[TextInfo.1]AirSpeed=1,5Altitude=1,3Heading=1,4Latitude=1,1Longitude=1,2WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6 [iNTERNATIONAL]ASLAT=2ASLON=0MEASURE=0[CONTROLS]Controls_Current=StandardControls_Default=StandardKBDAIL=64KBDELEV=64KBDRUD=64 [FACILITIES]CITY=COUNTRY=GTL_BUTTON=1286STATE= [TextInfo.3]AirSpeed=1,5Altitude=1,3FrameRate=2,1FuelPercentage=2,4GForce=2,3Heading=1,4Latitude=1,1LockedFrameRate=2,2Longitude=1,2WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6 [PointOfInterestSystem]CycleSetting=0 [GRAPHICS]ForceFullScreenVSync=1AC_SELF_SHADOW=0AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1ALLOW_SHADER_30=1COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1D3D10=0EFFECTS_QUALITY=2GROUND_SHADOWS=0HIGHMEMFIX=1IMAGE_QUALITY=0LANDING_LIGHTS=1NUM_LIGHTS=8See_Self=1TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024TEXTURE_QUALITY=3Text_Scroll=1SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693458432SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693458432

Hi, Add this to your FSX.CFG file to make 4 cores work: [JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=15 or for 3 cores, that might work better for you: [JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=14 Kind regards,

Thanks Spirit! I had affinitymask 14, but as soon as I changed it to 15 all 4 cores are kicking in. However, after doing this, I noticed that I get significant FPS increase in windowed mode than in full-screen, AA is working for both. Any ideas what can be causing this?

interesting topic, my task manager tells me I am only running 100% on one core and the others are at 30%. Affinitymask=14.

FSX will run one core at 100% and only use the other cores for texture and scenery loading. Unless you are loading a lot of scenery, you should not expect see all cores fully loaded. AffinityMask=14 uses the last 3 cores for FSX, leaving the first core offloaded to run Windows stuffand giving a smoother flight than AffinityMask=15 which uses all 4 cores for FSX.

Bert

Bert, that is strange because I actually saw a performance boost with AffinityMask=15.

Is it not strange that AffinityMask=14 only has Core#3 and Core#4 working hard and not Core#2? AffinityMask=15 makes all my 4 cores at 100%, isn't that the better alternative?

Guest jahman
Is it not strange that AffinityMask=14 only has Core#3 and Core#4 working hard and not Core#2? AffinityMask=15 makes all my 4 cores at 100%, isn't that the better alternative?
Not necessarily as FSX will run fine with the one core it uses for the sim engine and two more cores for loading scenery, leaving the fourth core free and dedicated to Windows, and any out-of-process add-ons you might be running like weather and AI traffic engines, external ATC, etc. Cheers, - jahman.