Sign in to follow this  
DJSean00

Pro Flight System from Saitek Review

Hi All, I just wanted to ask for a few comments on this system. I've just read the article here http://www.avsim.com/pages/0811/Saitek/Hardware.html and read about a bias towards the left. Has anyone had the same problem? been able to correct it? I also see they have two different rudder pedal options available. http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=30_35&products_id=1533 and http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=30_35&products_id=165 The first ones look a little more robust. CheersSean

Kind Regards,

Sean McCormack
FPSPLAYERS.COM

Game and Voice Servers

I calibrated it in FSX only - no Saitek drivers, no fsuipc - and I don't notice any tendency to roll left or right. The review does not mention any of the problems reported on various forums: too stiff yoke springs, many problems, even CTDs with drivers, cheap potentiometers that wear off too soon etc. I have ProFlight for 5 months now and basically I am happy with it, but also somewhat worried that, according to other users experiences, it won't last very long. I also do not like those plastic screws that hold the yoke/quadrant to the table. I already kicked them hard with my knees and if (when) they break, how am I gonna replace them? I wish they were metal.

hi, Good review but I am surprised that the reviewer missed the main drawback of the yoke: the stupid detent. It is unrealistic.Its the reason why I did not buy it.I have three throttle quadrants and they work fine with FSUIPC. I have one quadrant for flaps, spoiler and gear, it is cool.I have not noticed the left tenancy but I will check that.

It's easy to take our hardware (such as that which was reviewed here) for granted, so about time there was a comprehensive review of the Saitek kit. Loved the amount of photos that Benjamin included. Regarding the issues mentioned by the two people above; some are intermittant, some are subjective. You complain about the detents, but which budget yokes don't have detents? ..... I would not have expected the reviewer to mention this, nor the plastic clamp. Again for the cost of these units, it is unreasonable to expect heavy duty steel clamps! Alround, one of the best ever AVSIM reviews in my opinion. Well done Benjamin. Rgds,Stick(Former AVSIM Staff Reviewer)

I have the Saitek Flightsim Pro system (Without the pedals) and I am quite pleased with its performance. However, I can report that the left shift indeed exist on my system also. I cannot post a screenshot at the moment but if you go to the Saitek SW menu -> Control Panel and open it, you may see that the Ailron axis is shifted a bit to the left. This is not "calibrate-able" per Saitek Customer service response. Customer service has suggested that I go back to the vendor and have it replaced. From this post one may conclude that its not a matter of my specific yoke but rather more general issue. To this I would add that the fact that the yoke has no calibration option is at least odd. Or perhaps I miss something?Benny K

Hi all, thanks for your comments. Let me go through them: Sean: there are two pedals, but I didn't include the second one since it isn't part of the Pro Flight System. I doubt that they are very different, however. elprim: Many of the issues you mention are things that I simply didn't notice or had no problems with.- The too stiff yoke springs I didn't encounter. It works very well for me. This isn't even an issue: it's a purely subjective thing that I happen not to agree with.- You say there are "many problems", but you don't say what they are. Can you specify?- Never had any CTD because of the drivers... All CTDs I had (long time ago now) are due to a FSXaddon.- Potentiometer problems? I have been using my Saitek hardware for a long time, and have no problems.- About the kicking the screws, well... I guess it happens but I also guess you simply should be more careful then... Most of these things are valid concerns though, so I could (should?) have mentioned them. yankeegolf: I'm not sure what detent you are referring too, to be honest. Benny: Yeah, it is pretty odd. I haven't been able to correctly calibrate it using the FSX calibration procedure, I had to use FSUIPC to fix it. Now it works very well, though.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Thanks for the replies everyone I really appreciate it, still tossing up between these or possibly going for something from PFC...

Kind Regards,

Sean McCormack
FPSPLAYERS.COM

Game and Voice Servers

Great review Benjamin, I really enjoyed the photos as always hope to see more from you in the future, I guess some of the problems that others have might be due too getting one that was bad from the factory from the start nothing is perfect I have seen a few who dislike the ch eclipse yoke so its a gamble.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

hi, thralni: The detent is what you have when the yoke is in the neutral position. This issue has been well discussed in this forum. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/247790-saitek-yokeor-not/ You can't miss it because it gives a different response from what you have on a real aircraft. I started my post by saying "good review" so don't be offended by my comment.... Stick: The CH product yoke does not have a detent (119 $). I am curious to know if saitek's cessna yoke has a detent.

I have the Saitek Flightsim Pro system (Without the pedals) and I am quite pleased with its performance. However, I can report that the left shift indeed exist on my system also. I cannot post a screenshot at the moment but if you go to the Saitek SW menu -> Control Panel and open it, you may see that the Ailron axis is shifted a bit to the left. This is not "calibrate-able" per Saitek Customer service response. Customer service has suggested that I go back to the vendor and have it replaced. From this post one may conclude that its not a matter of my specific yoke but rather more general issue.To this I would add that the fact that the yoke has no calibration option is at least odd. Or perhaps I miss something? Benny K
HelloThis is a simple fix for the calibration issue that results in the yoke being biased to the left when first installed. This was posted years ago in the Saitek forum so I am surprised that support did not know about it, it was their idea after all Cut and pasted directly from Saitek forum To recalibrate, first unplug the yoke.Go to start/run and type regedit.The registry editor will have a list of folders on the left hand side. Go down into the following folders in order.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (CURRENT_USER if on VISTA)SystemCurrentControlSetControlMedia PropertiesPrivate PropertiesDirect InputInside the Direct Input folder, delete any folder that begins VID_06A3.Once done, close the editor. Plug the yoke back in and move all the axes (including throttle) through their full range of movement 4 times.Now go to control panel/game controllers/properties to see if everything is ok on the test screen.If the problem persists then test the device on another PC. If the problem still occurs then it is most likely a hardware fault.

Hi Benjamin, Excellent review - well done. I'm sure many simmers who are looking for new hardware will appreciate your review. I would like to thank you because despite having this yoke for over 2 years I was unaware of the mode wheel! ohmy.png I use FSUIPC exclusively to assign axis and button controls but I haven't checked if it will recognise the different modes. Does it require the Saitek software to be installed before the different modes become available? I would rather not have to install their software as FSUIPC does everything.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The genius of the mode wheel is that it gives you the ability to assign different functions to the same button - but herein lies its problem for "default" ways of assigning buttons: it still is the same button. I don't think FSUIPC and such make any difference in the mode, they always see "button D" instead of "button D - mode 1". A such I think that you do have to install the Saitek drivers and profile editor for it to work. I don't think you should be weary of the Saitek drivers and software. I have had zero problems with it and actually am rather pleased. For the rest all my button assigning is in FSX, and the throttle and spoiler levers are the only things I do in FSUIPC. All three methods work great together, as long as you don't forget to take away double assignments. yankeegolf: don't worry, I'm not offended ;) I didn't mention the detent because I didn't think it's a problem. I'm actually sort of happy that there is a clear signal that the yoke is in a neutral position, although I can see why others might find it annoying. mad dog: thanks for the explanation. I'll keep to the FSUIPC calibration I have though ;) all the registry and Windows editing stuff is not my kind of thing...

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

The genius of the mode wheel is that it gives you the ability to assign different functions to the same button - but herein lies its problem for "default" ways of assigning buttons: it still is the same button. I don't think FSUIPC and such make any difference in the mode, they always see "button D" instead of "button D - mode 1". A such I think that you do have to install the Saitek drivers and profile editor for it to work. I don't think you should be weary of the Saitek drivers and software. I have had zero problems with it and actually am rather pleased. For the rest all my button assigning is in FSX, and the throttle and spoiler levers are the only things I do in FSUIPC. All three methods work great together, as long as you don't forget to take away double assignments. yankeegolf: don't worry, I'm not offended ;) I didn't mention the detent because I didn't think it's a problem. I'm actually sort of happy that there is a clear signal that the yoke is in a neutral position, although I can see why others might find it annoying. mad dog: thanks for the explanation. I'll keep to the FSUIPC calibration I have though ;) all the registry and Windows editing stuff is not my kind of thing...
HelloEven using Fsuipc calibration you first need to calibrate in the Windows calibration applet.Fsuipc is reading the values sent from directinput via windows and working with those values.If the yoke is biased to the left in windows calibration it will still be out using Fsuipc calibration as Fsuipc is fine tuning these initial values. Saitek may have changed these values written to the registry by now, they have had enough feedback so you would hope that they have fixed it.But if you check the windows controller applet and find that the yoke is off to one side when centered then you will need to do this registry edit even if using Fsuipc.

The genius of the mode wheel is that it gives you the ability to assign different functions to the same button - but herein lies its problem for "default" ways of assigning buttons: it still is the same button. I don't think FSUIPC and such make any difference in the mode, they always see "button D" instead of "button D - mode 1". A such I think that you do have to install the Saitek drivers and profile editor for it to work. I don't think you should be weary of the Saitek drivers and software. I have had zero problems with it and actually am rather pleased. For the rest all my button assigning is in FSX, and the throttle and spoiler levers are the only things I do in FSUIPC. All three methods work great together, as long as you don't forget to take away double assignments.
Hi Benjamin, I tried FSUIPC and the mode wheel but it doesn't see button X any differently with different modes just as you predicted. I did install the Saitek software but then removed it. I only have a couple of extra commands I would like to assign so I'll decide how to do it. I know it's quite in order to mix programmed button using FSUIPC and other sources but for now I'd prefer to keep to FSUIPC. Thanks.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather