Sign in to follow this  
VOR_Active

CTD on MD-11X

I've searched about CTDs here but it seems the CTD problems are different to each one.My problem is when on the ground inside the cockpit of the MD-11X, I view the different instruments and suddenly the computer looks busy and then i get that CTD. My FSX is the Gold edition just bought it 2 days ago without any problems in installation and no tweaks. MD-11X is the boxed version.Thank you in advance

Guest firehawk44
I've searched about CTDs here but it seems the CTD problems are different to each one.My problem is when on the ground inside the cockpit of the MD-11X, I view the different instruments and suddenly the computer looks busy and then i get that CTD. My FSX is the Gold edition just bought it 2 days ago without any problems in installation and no tweaks. MD-11X is the boxed version.Thank you in advance
You might search or post this at the PMDG Forum located on AVSIM. Is there an error message in the Event Viewer? The Windows Event Viewer will usually provide you a clue as to why the sim crashed. It sounds like you are running out of memory/resources. Do you have the 32 bit version of Windows 7 installed? The MD11 requires a lot of resources and, if you have your FSX sliders turned up too high, that may be causing the crashes. Best regards,Jim

Hello Jim,how come that im out of memory I have 8GB in the RAM and the graphic card is the latest for a laptop. Well, im not a computer expert and i hope that im not missing something here. The CTD issue is not happening all the time. It was yesterday when I was experimenting different instrument views. Later, I gave another try taking off and make some climbs and descents without any problem. My windows are the 64 bit version.Thank you for your reply and help

Guest firehawk44
Hello Jim,how come that im out of memory I have 8GB in the RAM and the graphic card is the latest for a laptop.
There's a very good explanation for that in the hardware forum somewhere. I've seen explanations that FSX does not use more than 3 or 4 GB's of memory. The 64 bit version of Windows is great and it handles the management of memory much better. I can only suggest that you check out the info regarding memory and setting up FSX by NickN, a respected expert on setting up FSX, at the following link (if you haven't seen it already): http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic34141_post198187.html#198187 . With 8GB of memory, you are ready for any future releases of FS as the the program will probably use more of the system memory. I've had crashes when I left my virtual memory setting at "letting Windows handle memory performance on all drives", the default setting for Windows 7. When I changed it to System Managed Size for the HD where FSX resides, the crashes stopped. FSX is CPU intensive. In previous versions of FS, the GPU was dominant and the better GPU you had, the better FS2K4 or FS2K2 would run. A 2 GHz CPU is sufficient to run FSX but not with FSX settings set high. You would be best served to keep most of the settings at the default. This is why many of us went out and bought the new Sandy Bridge MB's with the new Intel I7 2600K CPU's. Most of us can run our systems at high levels but FSX sometimes even crashes some of those systems because of excessive heat or too much overclocking. I'm glad you're able to take off and do some things with the MD11X w/o crashing but that indicates to me that you are having some memory resource issues on some flights. Flying at night for instance takes up more resources than flying during the day. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance. Best regards,Jim