Sign in to follow this  
PierreFSX

Would like advice on some components of a new PC

Good day, I am planning to buy a new PC that will be dedicated to FSX. I did a lot of reading and I have decided to go with the following components: Intel I7 2600K CPU (I want to overclock to 4.5 GHz) 16 GIG of RAM DDR3 1 HDD: solid state drive 120G (OS) 2 HHD: SATA Seagate 7200 rpm 64 MG 1Tb (FSX) I already own a GTX 480 and a GTX 8800 (I run 2 monitors on the 8800 and a triplehead2go device + a standalone monitor on the GTX 480,for a total of 6 monitor) I would like some advice on what: Motherboard (I like Asus) Cooling device Case Power supply Do I need cooling for the MoBoI will use Window 7 64 bit ultimate Thanks you for the info.

Pierre Nantel
Asus Prime Z490-A | Intel I9-10900K  | 32 Gb Corsair 2666Mhz DDR4 | 2XSamsung 960 M.2 SSD | Asus GF GTX 1080 ti turbo 11 GB | Win 10 | Prepar3D 5.3 HF1 | AS/ASCA | EFB 2 | PF3 | MCE | PMDG 747-777 |  Twin Otter | Q400 | Aerosoft Airbus series

-16GB really isn't necessary for FSX. FSX won't use more than 4. I'd recommend a 8GB high speed kit (1866, 2000 or 2133MHz) kit. -The Asus Z68 motherboards are really good. I'd imagine most here would recommend them. The gigabyte Z68's are also strong boards. -Cooling I'd recommend the Corsair H80 or H100. The H100 is obviously a lot better, but is more expensive. -Case you want to go for a big case. The Coolermaster HAF X or Corsair Obsidian 650D are both excellent cases. -You want to get a strong PSU. For 2 cards, I'd say 800W minimum. Look at the Corsair AX's & coolermaster silent pro Gold.You don't need win 7 ultimate. Win 7 home premium 64bit is perfectly fine unless you need the extra feature pro or ultimate have.You also want to get a SATAIII SSD. One with 500+ MB/s read and write. I recommend the corsair force 3 120GB

I would like some advice on what: Motherboard (I like Asus) Cooling device Case Power supply Do I need cooling for the MoBoI will use Window 7 64 bit ultimate
Hi Pierre, Mobo: Z68 example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128506Cooler, either the Corsair stuff (as listed above), or the Noctua DH14 (massive cooler careful about tall ram heat spreaders) or the Coolermaster hyper 212 is a great one as wellCase: I, and about 5 others here love our Corsair 650D.PSU: Seasonic x750w or Corsair AX750 /TX 750 v2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

There was a well written article somewhere around these forums as I recall which discussed and tested SSD to other drives such as the Velociraptor. You can actually Google several articles with just those keywords. Anyway the end result as I read it was that there isn't much difference past the initial load time. I picked the VelociRaptor because I could get more for my dollar and in the end not lose out on much. Ryan, you were in at least one of those discussions I read. I think you took the opinion the SSD was worth the extra cash? It's a personal choice in the end.

Edward Smoker Sr.

This is great input; it seems that we have a consensus with the Z68 Motherboard. I checking the Asus site I funded the following model:P8Z68 – M PRO, V LX, V LE, Deluxe and V PRO or the Maximus IV Extreme-Z Anyone better if I overclock to 4.5? I will follow your advice for the other component: 8GB high speed kit (1866, 2000 or 2133MHz) kit Corsair H100 800W minimum. Look at the Corsair AX's & coolermaster silent pro Gold corsair force 3 120GB For the case I will look at the one that were proposed. For WIN7 I use voice activate software and I think I required the Ultimate version for that? Thanks Again

Pierre Nantel
Asus Prime Z490-A | Intel I9-10900K  | 32 Gb Corsair 2666Mhz DDR4 | 2XSamsung 960 M.2 SSD | Asus GF GTX 1080 ti turbo 11 GB | Win 10 | Prepar3D 5.3 HF1 | AS/ASCA | EFB 2 | PF3 | MCE | PMDG 747-777 |  Twin Otter | Q400 | Aerosoft Airbus series

V Pro Asus Mobo.

Hi Di Agron, Last questions. I was looking at the V pro and it seems to have a intergrated video card. I do not realy need this, I already have two very good cards. I am ready to pay the extra and go for the Maximus IV Extreme-Z woudl that be a bad move? Also for the memory would this be good: Corsair Dominator GT CMT8GX3M2A2000C9 RAM Module - 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) - DDR3 SDRAM - 2000 MHz DDR3-2000/PC3-16000 - 240-pin DIMM Thanks again

Pierre Nantel

It would have meant the Z68 supports integrated video. Expensive mobos are silly, you will have all the OCing features in the V Pro and won't get heaps more with the Maximus. For the PSU a HX 750 would be a good choice if you want to go in the middle between AX and TX. The HAF 932 is also a GREAT value case IMO. Get the size, airflow and probably not the elegance of a 650D but hey, its personal choice.

It would have meant the Z68 supports integrated video. Expensive mobos are silly, you will have all the OCing features in the V Pro and won't get heaps more with the Maximus. For the PSU a HX 750 would be a good choice if you want to go in the middle between AX and TX. The HAF 932 is also a GREAT value case IMO. Get the size, airflow and probably not the elegance of a 650D but hey, its personal choice.
Thanks Di Agron for your reply!
Hi Di Agron, Last questions. I was looking at the V pro and it seems to have a intergrated video card. I do not realy need this, I already have two very good cards. I am ready to pay the extra and go for the Maximus IV Extreme-Z woudl that be a bad move? Also for the memory would this be good: Corsair Dominator GT CMT8GX3M2A2000C9 RAM Module - 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) - DDR3 SDRAM - 2000 MHz DDR3-2000/PC3-16000 - 240-pin DIMM Thanks again
That memory is fine. The Maximus will have a bit more overclocking features and will overclock a bit better, but the V Pro is still a very strong and stable board. The integrated graphics are pointless. Ignore that. Soon as you connect your cards, that's all that is used.

No. He addressed his post to me, meaning he was talking to me. You replied. So I'm saying thanks Di Agron because you must think that's your name to reply to a post not addressed to you.

Ok thanks everyone and specialy Di Agron, I will know start shopping for those specific component. Looking forward to use this new PC with FSX

Pierre Nantel

Have fun!

don't want to make you feel bad but I think everyone here will agree, building it is just the very first step. Tuning, that's another story.