Sign in to follow this  
michaelb15

FSX and CPU useage

I have a dual core 2.8ghz @ 2.94ghz which ive noticed FSX olny really utilizes one core fully. so I used task manager (Win XP) to set all programs (windows explorer, Active sky, ect to use the second core, to free up the first core to be only used by FSX.. Doing so has boosted my fps by at least 2 fps. So now Im looking for somthing that I can configure my computer to load everything but FSX on the second core by defualt, so I dont have to switch it over manually every time I start up. Is there any thing out there to do that? or even better is there somthing out there to make fsx use both cores more effectively? thanks

FSX will run it's main thread on Core0 (the first core) and use Core1 (the second core) for textureand scenery loading. If you have a quad core CPU, you can move FSX around, but with only two coresyou do not have that option. As to loading other programs onto the second core at startup.. I do not know how to assign that,but I'm sure someone will jump in..

Bert

Which version of FSX are you using? FSX with SP2 and/or Acceleration uses multiple cores. The original retail version and, I think, SP1 do not.

I have FSX acceleration, and when I check out CPU usasage core 1 is usually 95-100% and core 2 is no more then 5-10% (somtimes jumping to 40% but very rarely). (useage while flying FSX Fullscreen)

I suggest Bojote's tweak, as earlier i had an E5700 and with his tweak i got good performance.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I suggest Bojote's tweak, as earlier i had an E5700 and with his tweak i got good performance.
which one are you reffering to im not too familluar with it... btw the computer with FSX is NOT connected to internet in any way I have to transport files to the computer with a USB key ?

which one are you reffering to im not too familluar with it... btw the computer with FSX is NOT connected to internet in any way I have to transport files to the computer with a USB key ?
Doesn't matter if you are not connected you upload the fsx.cfg from the pen drive. http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html most of the users use his tweaks . and use a FPS limiter and his shader mod. You should have a good GPU also for FSX.

Doesn't matter if you are not connected you upload the fsx.cfg from the pen drive. http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html most of the users use his tweaks . and use a FPS limiter and his shader mod. You should have a good GPU also for FSX.
I have a fairly good GPU its a Nvidia Geforce 8600 GTS 512 MB... I have it overclocked so its producing 10% more graphic power then stock. Core is 615MHz... Ram is 725MHz... Shader is 1250 MHz... It seems that my CPU holds back the video card, because I somtimes check out what the vid card is doing, and it rarely uses 100% of the core.. usually it only uses 85-90% at the most for FSX. Other games like Grand theft Auto 4 uses closer to 95-100% of the core, so it is capable of 100% usuage. But usually FSX does take advangage of most of the 512mb of memory on the gfx card, so thats good.. Also, how can I use that tweak tool offline? do I have to go and get my FSX.cfg before I can use that? or can I simply save the webpage to my drive?

FSX is more cpu bound so 80% work will be done by the CPU. And your card is on the lower end . You need at least a 8800GT and that would balance it well. Acutally yes you will need the fsx.cfg from your system. It will do it in real time so you need to be on the internet when using the tool. Could you post your system config under the hardware section . There are a lot of experienced members who will have a better thought on your problem.

FSX is more cpu bound so 80% work will be done by the CPU. And your card is on the lower end . You need at least a 8800GT and that would balance it well. Acutally yes you will need the fsx.cfg from your system. It will do it in real time so you need to be on the internet when using the tool. Could you post your system config under the hardware section . There are a lot of experienced members who will have a better thought on your problem.
is it lower end? lol its been a while since ive gotten anything for my computer... like years... lol im thinking sometime soon im gonna get a new gfx card seems there cheap, and my mobo will handle any pci-e without upgrading it... then once i have enough money, ill get a mobo, CPU, and RAM.. I forget what mobo I have atm, but tommorow ill post it in the HW section and maybe get a lil help with tweaking out the hardware that I have..

is it lower end? lol its been a while since ive gotten anything for my computer... like years... lol im thinking sometime soon im gonna get a new gfx card seems there cheap, and my mobo will handle any pci-e without upgrading it... then once i have enough money, ill get a mobo, CPU, and RAM.. I forget what mobo I have atm, but tommorow ill post it in the HW section and maybe get a lil help with tweaking out the hardware that I have..
Ya do that , you will get a lot of alternative hardware info which would help you out later when you upgrade your PC. But in the meantime get tweak done. You probably must be running everything set to low i guess.

Ya do that , you will get a lot of alternative hardware info which would help you out later when you upgrade your PC. But in the meantime get tweak done. You probably must be running everything set to low i guess.
actually I had everything maxed out untill last night when I was getting sick of 4-5 fps at major airports (but 13fps at 10,000ft agl and above), and I put everything at 85% detail, which gives me 7-9 FPS at major airports and 15 above 10,000 feet agl

just post everything in the hardware section . water make it Low / traffic keep it nil . no special effects, lod 50% , autogen normal / scenery normal. this settings should give you a bit more. But as I said post your configuration details and you will get a better answer to a new hardware setup.

just post everything in the hardware section . water make it Low / traffic keep it nil . no special effects, lod 50% , autogen normal / scenery normal. this settings should give you a bit more. But as I said post your configuration details and you will get a better answer to a new hardware setup.
I found no decrease to have water at 2x high.. traffic I set at 20% or lower, Aha now I know all my system specs ive got a dualcore Pentium D 820 2.8ghz (@2.94 Ghz)AsRock 4coreDual VSTA2 gigs DDR2 SDRAM@ 333 mhzGeforce 8600 GT (512 mb ram) Overclocked about 10% <--- thats PCI expressa dvd burner2 hdds (one 80 gb, and one 320gb)and a 550 watt PSU

I found no decrease to have water at 2x high.. traffic I set at 20% or lower, Aha now I know all my system specs ive got a dualcore Pentium D 820 2.8ghz (@2.94 Ghz)AsRock 4coreDual VSTA2 gigs DDR2 SDRAM@ 333 mhzGeforce 8600 GT (512 mb ram) Overclocked about 10% <--- thats PCI expressa dvd burner2 hdds (one 80 gb, and one 320gb)and a 550 watt PSU
Water should be low and traffic below 6%. You have your specs now , post in the hardware section.