Sign in to follow this  
Hirgab

Windowed vs Fullscreen mode

Hi all, I have always ran FSX on full screen mode, but recently I have been running experiments and noticed that I get a major performance boost when using windowed mode, especially when the window is not touching the start menu at the bottom of the screen, which I found to be VERY strange. The problem is I absolutely hate to run FSX on windowed mode, as it takes some of the immersion away when you see the task bar and the borders. I am using Windows 7 64 bit, my screen resolution is the same as my desktop resolution. I have an i5-4.0Ghz, ATI HD5970 updated to drivers 11.6. What's causing this peculiar behaviour? What are my options? Thank you.

That's been an issue in FSX since day one - if your screen is maximized, you will get a performance hit. Just make it a tad smaller at the top and you will be ok. As far as the task bar goes - just hide it. Right click the task bar - select properties - check auto hide task bar - apply. Task bar will disappear - if you need it - just move your mouse cursor near the bottom and it will pop up. Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

That I must try.. I've been using windowed mode all along so that I can get to my charts, etc.

I must confess, I actually seem to get better FPS when in full screen mode... So I would suppose that it's not really FSX but perhaps depends on your config. Unless there is something that I'm missing!

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

If you are using 2 monitors, move the task bar to the second monitor, then maximize the window, you will only have the small windows bar at the top and no borders.

Jay

You really must admire MS/Windows... I mean come on, how can a company such as MS create such a long lasting product as Windows and Flight SIM for that matter... and now, 20 plus years later it still has more bugs, gremlins, critters and unexplained phenomena than the NYC dump. I dunno, maybe its actually a testament to some really amazing software and computer engineering... or not... unsure.png

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

ATI HD5870 here, and I get better frame rates in FSX in full screen mode. However I use Bojote's optimised fsx.cfg (with the Vsinc fixes) and an external frame rate limiter. I can't help with a reason for your opposite experience I'm sorry.

I also use the optimized fsx.cfg by Bojote with the vsync fix. I tried to remove the vsync fix to see if this was causing it and it was not. I get a 10FPS difference, this is insane. Does anyone know what the key combination is to get rid of the title bar in windowed mode? (not the tool bar / alt) Thanks.

Use the autohotkey script to remove borders in mode making it fullscreen.This way I have maxed performance ánd windowed mode, allowing instant alt-tab etc

Thanks all for the response. I found that when using autohotkey fullscreen abilities my FPS decreases to a level no different than if I just alt-enter full screen. The idea behind running FSX on windowed mode is to maintain the FPS boost I get in that mode. Any other ideas?

Thanks all for the response. I found that when using autohotkey fullscreen abilities my FPS decreases to a level no different than if I just alt-enter full screen. The idea behind running FSX on windowed mode is to maintain the FPS boost I get in that mode. Any other ideas?
Does your startbar still appear? I definitely go back to max FPS once I hit windows+f11