Sign in to follow this  
CYXR

Boeing introduces 737 Max

The Boeing vs. Airbus saga continues of course. And if things change: Here's what the WSJ had to say regarding this news:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904332804576540310660018214.html Some things don't ...Airbus's Chief Commercial Officer John Leahy refutes Boeing's fuel efficiency claim regarding the 737 MAXhttp://www.montrealgazette.com/business/Boeing+denial+over+upgrade+Airbus+exec+says/5328410/story.html ben

What other way is there to go about it? They're competitors.

What other way is there to go about it? They're competitors.
I disagree. Scoffing and making uneducated remarks about a competitor's product is as unprofessional as one can be. Especially when on the record... Maybe I'm oversimplifying.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Is it me, or does it seem taking 5 to 6 years to re-engine an existing model, is a little long? The 787 was developed from scratch and scheduled for production in that time (Had it not be so far behind schedule).

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I disagree. Scoffing and making uneducated remarks about a competitor's product is as unprofessional as one can be. Especially when on the record... Maybe I'm oversimplifying.
HelloI somehow doubt that Airbus's Chief Commercial Officer is uneducated in the commercial aircraft sector , you and I maybe but certainly not John Leahy.

What is fact is Boeing 737-NGX was years behind A320 and this new 737-MAX is scheduled to be delivered 2 years later then the A320NEO. Too little too late once again from Boeing. The 737-MAX is a reaction to an Airbus product just like the 737-NGX was. I would rather see Boeing be more proactive in the future in this product range.

Matthew Kane

There are several things wrong with your post:1) The NGX is an FS addon, not an actual aircraft. On behalf of flight simmers everywhere, please stop messing up the real airplane with PMDGs offering.2) The A320 was conceived at the same time as the 737 CL. It entered service much later, however. And when you compare orders for the A320 and 737, they come out about even, even when counting the orders for the NEO. In the 1990s, Boeing updated the 737 to the NG. Airbus has yet to do the same. The A320 was a reaction to the 737CL, and Airbus has yet to put out an actual response to the NG. It's all about perspective.3) Boeing not being innovative enough? Look at the 787. Airbuses initial response was a warmed over A330 that eventually became the A350. Then look at the Yellowstone project.

Joe Sherrill

There are several things wrong with your post:1) The NGX is an FS addon, not an actual aircraft. On behalf of flight simmers everywhere, please stop messing up the real airplane with PMDGs offering.2) The A320 was conceived at the same time as the 737 CL. It entered service much later, however. And when you compare orders for the A320 and 737, they come out about even, even when counting the orders for the NEO. In the 1990s, Boeing updated the 737 to the NG. Airbus has yet to do the same. The A320 was a reaction to the 737CL, and Airbus has yet to put out an actual response to the NG. It's all about perspective.3) Boeing not being innovative enough? Look at the 787. Airbuses initial response was a warmed over A330 that eventually became the A350. Then look at the Yellowstone project.
Look mate....This is real simple. Since Avsim is the home of PMDG's 737 people on here will no what I mean by that. It is kind of like refering a photocopy to a xerox or calling a soda a coke. These sort of synonyms are very common and human so my apologies for being a human...I didn't realize you were a robot. Second of all I was not refering to the 787 at all as in my post I said 'I would rather see Boeing be more proactive in the future in this product range' meaning the 737 range.....And this thread is about the 737 so no point in bringing up other jets. The 737/A320 range is the most produced range so I don't compare them to any of the others. I just question why Boeing has twice failed to be behind the 8-ball with their number one selling range. The 737 has become a thing of the past in my nation as when Air New Zealand ordered the last round the 737-300 was the only option at the time, the 737-NG was not available yet (We were the last delivery of the 737-300)....Those 737's are retiring in 2011 and the domestic fleet will be an all A320 fleet. Boeing lost New Zealand with their most popular jet. Come visit New Zealand and see how few 737's are here compared to the A320 is all.

Matthew Kane

What is fact is Boeing 737-NGX was years behind A320 and this new 737-MAX is scheduled to be delivered 2 years later then the A320NEO. Too little too late once again from Boeing. The 737-MAX is a reaction to an Airbus product just like the 737-NGX was. I would rather see Boeing be more proactive in the future in this product range.
Boeing have been carefully working on what they would do with the 737 for many years, notably with project Yellowstone but also with the Dreamliner, which is to a large extent a technology pioneer testbed for systems that will go into future aeroplanes, with radical differences to things such as the APU and other power systems. To imagine that they have simply sat on their asses and then been forced to react to the NEO A320 is to seriously underestimate the way Boeing goes about things; they know that slow and steady often wins the race, and in fact their history proves that in many ways... For example, it's worth bearing in mind that Boeing has a history of getting a market sector aircraft up in the air second after a competitor aircraft, and still making a success of it, the DC-9 beat the 737 into the air and we all know what happened in that short/medium haul battle. Prior to that the DC-8 flew before the 707 was ready in its successful commercial form, the initial 707 prototype being effectively scrapped and redesigned in order compete with the DC-8 in a better way, with the result that ended in the same story, in fact a story in which culminated in Boeing owning that competitor. Thus two years is not a big deal when you consider other factors, factors where aircraft are expected to fly for decades, most notably fleet commonality from the perspective of crew training and maintenance training. Witness the fact that Boeing have always been mindful to ensure that each 737 new variant shared common aspects with preceding models, even to the extent of adding a dorsal fillet to make the newer ones fly like the older ones, but also - crucially - to keep commonality where many spares are concerned, since many airlines have vast warehouses full of type-specific spares that would become redundant if a major fleet type switch happened, whereas seeing a large portion of those spares usable on a new model is a major plus point. The fact that airlines were still actually ordering the Classic 737 variants even when the NG was available to buy is evidence that there are more factors for airlines and leasing companies to consider than simply 'which maker got theirs to market first' when it comes to procuring aircraft. All other considerations aside, 'If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going' may seem an occasionally dubious slogan, but the fact remains that there are many US companies, and indeed US citizens that will treat that as a mantra when the United States is seeing more and more domestic industries disappear abroad. Success is of course not guaranteed, but don't be too quick to close the book on the 737 story. I suspect there are several chapters left in it. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

It is no dought a Boeing catch up game! ironic it was hastily put out after AA Airbus order scoff. Last I had heard Boeing had no intentions of revamping the 737 line. They finally realised they ways or their errogance and determined they had to do this in order to not lose more market share! Im a Boeing supporter but in no way a ######!
They have been looking at new engines for a few years now. There are pictures out there of an old model using the new larger geared engines and how they were trying to integrate them into the current aircraft.

It is no dought a Boeing catch up game! ironic it was hastily put out after AA Airbus order scoff. Last I had heard Boeing had no intentions of revamping the 737 line. They finally realised they ways or their errogance and determined they had to do this in order to not lose more market share! Im a Boeing supporter but in no way a ######!
You really do underestimate Boeing's ability to strategize, and you seem to have an overly simplistic view of the whole "competition".

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules