Sign in to follow this  
curt1

Precision Approach with GP?

I'm a bit confused here, as my understanding is flying a precision approach (ILS) will arm the LOC and GS after selecting Approach on the MCP. So why do I sometimes get the GP armed instead of GS on an ILS approach? I also understood that the armed modes of FAC and GP were for non-precision approaches, such as Back-Course or RNAV. Am I right, wrong, or is there a possible bug here?

You arm the Loc first, then app after capturing localiser.

I'm a bit confused here, as my understanding is flying a precision approach (ILS) will arm the LOC and GS after selecting Approach on the MCP. So why do I sometimes get the GP armed instead of GS on an ILS approach? I also understood that the armed modes of FAC and GP were for non-precision approaches, such as Back-Course or RNAV. Am I right, wrong, or is there a possible bug here?
That is correct !! Is the runway an Ils runway ??

No need !! APP will capture both if configured correctly.

No need !! APP will capture both if configured correctly.
Thanks for clarifying Fred

Thanks for clarifying Fred
No problem Di ! LOC can be handy if you are on an intercept for localizer but no where near glideslope capture. (too high for example)You could then use APP for just the glideslope.

Maybe my subject was misunderstood here. I'm flying an ILS approach, but after selecting approach on the MCP, the vertical mode was armed for GP, not GS. This can't be correct can it? The NAV radios were tuned to the proper ILS, so I'm at a loss as to what went wrong. Little things like this bug me, can you tell?

Maybe my subject was misunderstood here. I'm flying an ILS approach, but after selecting approach on the MCP, the vertical mode was armed for GP, not GS. This can't be correct can it? The NAV radios were tuned to the proper ILS, so I'm at a loss as to what went wrong. Little things like this bug me, can you tell?
I understand that but is it an ils runway ??? You can check it on the map in FSX. Sounds like it's an Ian approach and not Ils.See page 232/233 of the FCOM Vol 2

I understand that but is it an ils runway ??? You can check it on the map in FSX. Sounds like it's an Ian approach and not Ils.See page 232/233 of the FCOM Vol 2
Okay, yes it's definitely an ILS runway. I'll try it again and see if it happens the next time (KMCO Rwy 17R). Thanks for the replies.

Okay, yes it's definitely an ILS runway. I'll try it again and see if it happens the next time (KMCO Rwy 17R). Thanks for the replies.
You are welcome ! I will try it too later,

Just flew a circuit now.Took off on RWY 17R and did a full fail operational autoland on the same runway.No problems of any kind. Climbed to 5000 ft and descended to 3000 to facilitate glideslope capture.Fuel 1/3 and no passengers. Entered the deparure and destination runway (the same in this case)It helps to have the runway extension line for localizer intercept angle, Fred.

Just flew a circuit now.Took off on RWY 17R and did a full fail operational autoland on the same runway.No problems of any kind. Climbed to 5000 ft and descended to 3000 to facilitate glideslope capture.Fuel 1/3 and no passengers. Entered the deparure and destination runway (the same in this case)It helps to have the runway extension line for localizer intercept angle, Fred.
Thanks for the report, Fred. I did it also and no problem this time. So weird.

Thanks for the report, Fred. I did it also and no problem this time. So weird.
Great !! Happy flying.

Well, I'm back with another instance of "why"? Once again, an ILS runway with GS/ ON and the FMA is showing GP. It should be showing GS, but it's not. I've attached an image so you can see what I mean.

Are you pressing APP before you're actually receiving a GS signal? That will cause it too - it's going to go to G/P unless there's actually an ILS glideslope signal tuned.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com