Sign in to follow this  
sho69607

Overclocking in the Summer

I live in Arizona and it is well over 100F all summer long. To make matters worse Im upstairs and it is hot as hell up here even with AC. Should I slow things down a bit to prevent to much heat on the computer? Right Now Im at about 4.0Ghz coming from 4.5Ghz.

~Spencer Hoefer

MOBO: Gigabye Aorus z590 elite | CPU: Intel i9-10900k  | RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200 |GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti 11GBOS: Windows 10 

Whats the temps at 4.5?

Last time I was downstairs and it was around 38C idle.

~Spencer Hoefer

MOBO: Gigabye Aorus z590 elite | CPU: Intel i9-10900k  | RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200 |GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti 11GBOS: Windows 10 

Thats fine. What about load? So long as it doesn't go above 80-90's you'll be fine. If its 60's-70's your perfectly okay

how much will oc cut back the life of my computer? Downstairs underload it was never above 65C

~Spencer Hoefer

Thats fine. Perfectly okay. What CPU is it?

Intel i5-2500k. However what concerns me is the voltage that is required to power 4.5ghz. My chip requires 1.41-144v for stability. below that it will bsod.

~Spencer Hoefer

Ouch. Looks like you didnt get one of the better batches. But yes, 65 at 4.5 is fine

will that shorten the lifespan a lot

~Spencer Hoefer

Nah. I doubt it. These sandy bridges are made for overclocking. Maybe a little shortening (a couple of months) but nothing drastic. Only if you start over volting. Then the lifespan will take a hit

and overvolting for a sandy bridge I believe is like 1.5v and above

~Spencer Hoefer

1.45 is what most recommend as the max before you push it too far. But yes. Damage could occur at 1.5

Intel i5-2500k. However what concerns me is the voltage that is required to power 4.5ghz. My chip requires 1.41-144v for stability. below that it will bsod.
Is that BIOS voltage or monitored voltage in Windows? Idle or full load voltage?

Get a small fan, take the side cover off, and blow air over MB. If you are worried about dust, dirt, critters, then cover the side with a small piece of fiberglass window screening material from your local hardware store.

Bios it I had set in fixed mode at 1.45 and it never exceed that underload.

~Spencer Hoefer