Sign in to follow this  
Ramjett53

Exporting Google Sketchup 8 Objects Into FS2004

Okay, so I've been adding scenery to FS9 for about 3 years now from the various addon scenery sites that are available. I have also dabbled in scenery design using ADE9X, EZ-Scenery, Runway12, etc. Those designs basically involved taking existing library objects and placing them where I wanted them.But, the addiction has gone to a newer level. I have downloaded and practiced with Google Skecthup 8 in designing my own 3D objects as well as the visiting the fabulous Google 3D Warehouse you can access through Google Earth.I searched for instructions on how to export these Sketchup Models into a useable form for FS2004, but everything I found is geared to exporting from SU8 into FSX. The only instructions I found was in the FSDeveloper Forums, again, geared toward FSX but with a caveat, "should work well for FS9." Famous last words. I downloaded Arno's fantastic ModelConverterX, and have almost made it, but when converting to something FS9 can use the Mass Texture Editor gets hung up midway and won't continue.Does anyone know of a detailed, step-by-step, set of instructions on how to go from a google sketchup 3D model into a useable .bgl file/textures that can be used in FS9. Preferably one that explains some of the more common pitfalls one will come across. In my case, an exception log was generated when the Mass Texture Editor hung up, but I have no idea what the dang log is trying to tell.I have started small, definitely not trying to build a JFK or LAX. I took some photos of my local muni terminal and hangars and created 3D models of them with Google Sketch Up 8. They are pretty darn good if I do say so myself. All I want to do is try to recreate my home airport in FS9...and then do LAX...LOLAny advice would be extremely helpful and most appreciated.Randy "Ramjett53" Tyndall

Thanks Joe, going there as soon as I post this. I think I make it past the mass texture Editor hang up, but when I tried to export the .dae file exported from Google SU 8 to ModelConverterX back to the scenery file I got a warning that I was missing MakeMdl.exe. Searching on the web seems to indicate it is in the FS2004 SDK, which I don't have, and all the links to it are dead. Does that mean I'm dead, or can I convert the model with BGLComp.exe? Edit: Disregard my question, after scanning the excellent tutorial Joe pointed me to I found the answer. A live link to a MakeMdl download was embedded in the tutorial and worked perfectly. Also, reading about exporting the .dae file I realized I will have to take the .mdl file that is going to be created during the export and convert it to a .bgl file using BGLComp. I'll post the results if things go positively...and ask more questions if they don't!

You can get MakeMdl , along with the other SDKs, here- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555857 I would also suggest you have a look at www.fsdeveloper.com where you will find a lot of help and info, including support forums for most scenery dev tools. regards,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif