Sign in to follow this  
ga

Engine ignition switch, is this modelled?

Ok , Engine ignition switch is this modelled or dos it not matter when engine start to switch on right before engine rights starts, and switch left before left engine starts and set to both after that?Got an impressian that this is not modelled is this right ?

Just taking a guess at this. I Believe that there are 2 ignintion systems on the NG and you would typically use system L for odd days of the month and system R for even days to prolong possible failure to the ignition systems. Please correct me if im wrong.Stuart Turbefield

It is moddeled correctly !! You would normally use left for both engines and the next time right for both engines and so on. You need to do some reading.This is very basic stuff !!!!

Edit: beaten to it

It is moddeled correctly !! You would normally use left for both engines and the next time right for both engines and so on. You need to do some reading.This is very basic stuff !!!!
i did some reading, and didnt know that too.

Roger, thought Engine ignition switch should be turn left/right on wich engine you started :D ok thx learned somthing new again ;)Stupid question why have left/right Engine ignition switch, why not only one..........for saftey if one faults i guess ;)

I've heard this version: The regulations allows the 737 to fly on even though one of the right ignitors is faulty. If it's the left one, you cannot. Thus, use the left one at the hubs that has tech's, and use the right one on every place that doesn't. This is what I've heard regarding one company, I'm not sure if this is SOP for this company only, or if it's a common thing.

Each engine has 2 igniters, the are needed to start the engine or in some flight conditions where light off could shut down it.The 2 igniters takes power from different sources, this to prevent dangerous conditions if a source fails.Left ignition takes power from AC XFer bus, while the right one takes power from the standby bus.If airplane remains without AC power, the only working igniter will be the one powered by the StBy bus, so the right one.The right one MUST work, cannot be inoperative... or...If right ignition doesn't work, the left one can be electrically connected to the stby bus by using a tecnical procedure that uses an adapter cable that does the job.The switch must remain in BOTH position.For left igniter inoperative (MEL requires that the same problem must be on only one engine, not on both engines) just put the switch in Both position.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Somethings as complex as a 737 ignition is determined by something as simple the day of the month :(

The usage of the spark selection is a company choice, it could be changed at each flight, each day or other. This for 737.Some newer airplanes based on FADECs uses an internal logic that automatically select the ignition system that will be used. They can use a day logic (even, odd), flight cycle logic (take off, landing, shut down) or engine cycle logic. Same for fadec channel.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Somethings as complex as a 737 ignition is determined by something as simple the day of the month LMAO.gif
A bit like some of my ex girlfriends :)

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

The way we do it at American is use the left one on the Captain's leg and the right one on the FO's leg.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

It might alternate, but you must use the right ignition on the FFOD, because it is powered by the 115V AC standby bus. By starting the engines using Ignition Right, you are also testing the standby bus, which also powers important things like the number 1 ADIRU.

Joe Sherrill