Hi all,I think I May have gone about this the wrong way, I have just put together my new system:- Zalman K9plus case, MSI GD53 MB, i5-2500k, cooler master hyper 212 plus ,4gb of Corsair pc1600 and a 450w power supply. Installed win7 64bit FSX+ Sp1,Sp2 ,NGX plus airport add-ons. I then overclocked the system to 4.6ghz by changing from x33 to x46 and then upping the volts to 1.285v, this work great in FSX flying NGX with traffic and add on airports at locked 30fps, only about 37-42c ( I was very very happy) but later I started to test my system using Intel burn and is blue screened very time I ran it. I have now had to turn volts up to 1.395v to be able to pass Intel burn @4.6ghz temp are upto 76c ,I have attched a screen shot. I would like to see my system running 4.8/4.9ghz would I be ok to go above 1.4v?? my bios is saying not to go above this. Should I need to disable/enable any items in the bios?? up till now all I have done is disabled the Intel Turbo boost. if FSX is runing fine @ 4.8/4.9ghz but I can't pass the Intel burn test should I turn it back to 4.6ghz?? Many thanks, mark

First try Ocing without touching the Vcore voltage. What display card do you have ? use CPU-Z to check the voltage when using AUTO. CoreTemp to monitor temperatures.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

May I ask what GPU you have because all of that running of the 450W to me seems to much, especially with 1.395V. You should not need to go above 1.4V with these chips to get them to 4.6GHz (in my reading) and I think its is something to do with the settings. I have a Gigabyte board so I can't really help but perhaps we could get a MSI expert in here to help. If your needing to go to 1.395, you have go a bad chip.

I have a 9800GTX+ on the system at this time, Could the low output of my power supply have something to do with my issuse?? Mark

It depens on the quality. It could be a good efficient PSU, could you please find out what model it is.

Yes it would depend on PSU too. The cooler is good . You also have to match the RAM timings when OCing. When you leave the OC voltages on AUTO it tends to take more voltage. So CPU-Z is your friend and HWmonitor.

It was a cheap option from a uk retailer called PC World:- it just called HighPower 450w, please see link for more info, I just tried x47 with volts at auto and it didn’t boot.http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/highpower-450w-atx-power-supply-unit-07843298-pdt.htmlMarkMy ram is pc1600 but in the bios it is saying 1333mhz as defualt, I change the ratio to say 1666.

It was a cheap option from a uk retailer called PC World:- it just called HighPower 450w, please see link for more info, I just tried x47 with volts at auto and it didn’t boot.http://www.pcworld.c...843298-pdt.htmlMark My ram is pc1600 but in the bios it is saying 1333mhz as defualt, I change the ratio to say 1666.
You don't go and use a higher multiplier, let your multiplier be the default one as I have no knowledge about the i5, start raising your FSB by +5/+10 and test. When you find that the +5/+10 is stable then you increase the multiplier little by little and check. and then if it needs more voltage than you increase voltage little by little. always little. Check under CPU-Z what voltage is showing when on AUTO. That PSU does not look like an 80 plus certified. When Ocing allows safe and better with a branded PSU like corsair / thermaltake etc.....

One thing I have noticed on the vidoes and giulds I have seen, I need to change VDROOP to high, but I only have auto or low.Mark

One thing I have noticed on the vidoes and giulds I have seen, I need to change VDROOP to high, but I only have auto or low.Mark
I would not know about the i5, but to my knowledge you don't have a stable OC as it BSOD during a test. Your have to find your MAX/FSB / Multiplier voltage for that CPU , the RAM voltage if you check under CPU-Z may show you around 1.5 volts. And how that motherboard overclocks that you have to check.

Sorry for all the question but If I can run FSX great @ 4.8ghz with high setting and temp are good do I need to pass the intel burn test?? if so why ?? Mark

Sorry for all the question but If I can run FSX great @ 4.8ghz with high setting and temp are good do I need to pass the intel burn test?? if so why ?? Mark
if your running fsx @ 4.8 ghz does not mean you are stable, you need to count the memory and the GPU when overclocking. I use Prime95 which tests CPU and Memory no idea about the Intel Burn test.

You don't go and use a higher multiplier, let your multiplier be the default one as I have no knowledge about the i5, start raising your FSB by +5/+10 and test. When you find that the +5/+10 is stable then you increase the multiplier little by little and check. and then if it needs more voltage than you increase voltage little by little. always little. Check under CPU-Z what voltage is showing when on AUTO. That PSU does not look like an 80 plus certified. When Ocing allows safe and better with a branded PSU like corsair / thermaltake etc.....
HelloWith all due respect if you have no knowledge of the i5 you should refrain from giving out advice that will damage this guys CPU.The i5 2500K will be damaged over time if you raise the Bclk too far, OC'ing is done via the multiplier on these chips. The OP needs two things here , a better PSU as that unit from PCworld is inadequate for OC'ing.He will also benefit from a better CPU cooler but the PSU would be my priority.

HelloWith all due respect if you have no knowledge of the i5 you should refrain from giving out advice that will damage this guys CPU.The i5 2500K will be damaged over time if you raise the Bclk too far, OC'ing is done via the multiplier on these chips. The OP needs two things here , a better PSU as that unit from PCworld is inadequate for OC'ing.He will also benefit from a better CPU cooler but the PSU would be my priority.
Sure not a problem. Already told him about the PSU.

Hi all,I think I May have gone about this the wrong way, I have just put together my new system:- Zalman K9plus case, MSI GD53 MB, i5-2500k, cooler master hyper 212 plus ,4gb of Corsair pc1600 and a 450w power supply. Installed win7 64bit FSX+ Sp1,Sp2 ,NGX plus airport add-ons. I then overclocked the system to 4.6ghz by changing from x33 to x46 and then upping the volts to 1.285v,
Hello Mark4.6 is fine especially at those temps and voltages, you are doing fine there.The extra 200mhz will hardly be worth the extra stress on the system over time, I would always value better stability over an extra 200mhz.When you can, just swap out the PSU for something from Seasonic , Corsair or Antec and you are all set for for a GPU upgrade in the future.Nice taste in cases too Mark smile.png I have one myself.