Sign in to follow this  
machie

help with the Glide Slope

Hi All,I am having problems getting the 737NG to capture the GS during ILS approaches---I join the localizer and then engage the GS by pushing the APP button on the MCP but the aircraft flies through the GS every time---what am I doing wrong---please help meCheers to all who enjoy this fantastic birdDorn Cranert

Can you be more specific ?? Are you capturing the localizer in LNAV or Heading Select ?

I have been flying practice approaches at NZAA rwy 05--making about a 30 deg intercept of the ILS using the heading select--I have tried using the Loc and then the App--also just the APP--I have not used the LNAV because I really don't know how to use the FMC past the route nav and hold functions.

Hi All,I am having problems getting the 737NG to capture the GS during ILS approaches---I join the localizer and then engage the GS by pushing the APP button on the MCP but the aircraft flies through the GS every time---what am I doing wrong---please help meCheers to all who enjoy this fantastic birdDorn Cranert
You need to select the runway / approach in the FMC otherwise it will ignore the Glideslope, once you select the ILS approach and execute it then you will probably find it works fine. In case you don't know how to do it: Go into DEP/ARR and select your arrival airport (should be the second key down on the right hand side), then choose your approach/runway on the right, which will be something like ILS03 (if there are a lot of runways it may well be on the second page). Once you have done that, select Activate and then hit execute. It will also change your route and display it on the ND, however if you are not using LNAV you can fly it how you like, and it should now follow the G/S.. G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Can you be more specific ?? Are you capturing the localizer in LNAV or Heading Select ?
Hi Fredrick, A question came to my mind though I fly only the Cessna and the Baron , but I have been taught by my instructor that for the glide slope it is 5x kts = Vs / Fpm for maintaining a 3 deg. Sorry to put this question but does it mean that all 737 pilots rely on the autopilot stuff ?

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Dont you capture the LOC in cammand A, then when you capture the glideslope, you hit APP and Autopilot B????????? I think i read this in another post.

Dont you capture the LOC in cammand A, then when you capture the glideslope, you hit APP and Autopilot B????????? I think i read this in another post.
I capture the LOC in CMD A with VOR/LOC, then as soon as it captures hit APP, then as soon as it captures the G/S hit CMD B. G

Both NAV 1 & NAV 2 must be tuned at the ILS frequency AND do not forget to engage the second autopilot (CMD B )...

If you go through the PMDG setup in the FMC you will find an option to either turn the G/S on or off. It is probably turned off in the model you are flying. Why there should be such an option is beyond me but there is. I was having the same problem and this is how I fixed it. Iain Smith

You need to select the runway / approach in the FMC otherwise it will ignore the Glideslope, once you select the ILS approach and execute it then you will probably find it works fine. In case you don't know how to do it: Go into DEP/ARR and select your arrival airport (should be the second key down on the right hand side), then choose your approach/runway on the right, which will be something like ILS03 (if there are a lot of runways it may well be on the second page). Once you have done that, select Activate and then hit execute. It will also change your route and display it on the ND, however if you are not using LNAV you can fly it how you like, and it should now follow the G/S.. G
This is definitely done, but it's not required. If you have a FMC failure, you have to be able to fly the ILS using conventional NAV. The APP mode doesn't care what's in the box if you're doing an ILS.
I capture the LOC in CMD A with VOR/LOC, then as soon as it captures hit APP, then as soon as it captures the G/S hit CMD B. G
Both NAV 1 & NAV 2 must be tuned at the ILS frequency AND do not forget to engage the second autopilot (CMD B )...
You guys are thinking about autoland. The jet will fly an ILS just fine with only one channel. It just won't autoland. Shocked.gif

Matt Cee

Good point about the autoland.Last flight I had I couldn't get it to arm the g/s without an ILS approach selected. When you choose an approach it has an option that says g/s on or off... G

This is definitely done, but it's not required. If you have a FMC failure, you have to be able to fly the ILS using conventional NAV. The APP mode doesn't care what's in the box if you're doing an ILS.
The APP mode in the NGX actually does care - if you do not have the approach in the FMC, APP mode will capture the localizer but not the glideslope. Try it and you will see smile.png

The APP mode in the NGX actually does care - if you do not have the approach in the FMC, APP mode will capture the localizer but not the glideslope. Try it and you will see smile.png
I've never flown a plane that had that "option." I am amazed that the default would be G/S off. If you had a dual FMC fail, I hope the G/S would be fail to on.

Matt Cee

if you select APP mode before glide slope capture the plane will fly straight through. Wait until the needle starts moving. Glide slope alive.."Set APP mode" 1 Dot above " Gear down set flaps 15"

Hi Fredrick, A question came to my mind though I fly only the Cessna and the Baron , but I have been taught by my instructor that for the glide slope it is 5x kts = Vs / Fpm for maintaining a 3 deg. Sorry to put this question but does it mean that all 737 pilots rely on the autopilot stuff ?
It does not matter if it is CMD A or CMD B !! Yes 737 pilots normally use the MCP and runway entry in the CDU to capture localizer & Glideslope.