Sign in to follow this  
Paul Deemer

Crashes and Freezes Poll - Part 2

Please answer the following questions  

157 members have voted

1. 1. How many Flights have you made without a Crash or Freeze?

2. 2. Do you have a Crash, Freeze or Both?

• I have a Freeze but after a few seconds FSX resumes the Flight
    • I have a Freeze and FSX locks up on me
    • I have a Freeze and then FSX crashes to Desktop
    • The plane Freezes but FSX continues to run
    • I Crash to Desktop without a Freeze
  3. 3. At what point in the Flight do you experience a problem?

• When starting a new Flight
    • When powering up the Aircraft
    • When using the FMC
    • During Push and Start
    • While taxing to the Runway
    • On Takeoff
    • While climbing to Cruise
    • When at Cruise Altitude
    • On Descent
    • When Landing
    • When taxing to Gate
    • I freeze multiple times during a flight but it resumes after 2 or 3 seconds
    • When I load a Custom Panel State
  4. 4. Was your NGX ever running without any Crashes or Freezes?

• Yes - When I had no HotFixes Installed
    • Yes - When I had HotFix 1
    • Yes - When I had HotFix 2
    • Yes - When I had HotFix 3
    • No - Never
  5. 5. Did you do the Tutorial Flight?

• Yes - I completed the Tutorial Flight without any problems
    • No - I had a Crash or Freeze
    • No - I did not do the Tutorial Flight
  6. 6. Have you made any changes to your FSX.cfg File?

• Yes - I have made a few changes
    • Yes - I have heavily modified it
    • No - I have not made any changes
  7. 7. Have you made any changes to your FSUIPC.ini File?

• Yes - I have made a few changes
    • Yes - I have heavily modified it
    • No - I have not made any changes
    • I do not have the Registered Version of FSUIPC
  8. 8. Where is FSX located on your hard drive?

• Default Installation Path on Windows Drive
    • On Windows Drive but not the default Installation Path
    • I have it installed on a Drive seperate from Windows
  9. 9. Do you run FSX Shortcut, Installations and Addons as Administrator?

10. 10. How Familar are you with the NGX?

• I am fairly new to the NGX and still learning how to fly it.
    • I am a Pro and Knowledgable about it's systems and procedures

Okay here is part 2 and more finely tuned. If you have anything helpful to add please do so.

I can't answer question number 2, because none of the options apply to me. For me the aircraft instruments and controls freeze up, while FSX keeps running unfaltering all the time. It doesn't freeze for a few seconds and it certainly doesn't lock up or crash on me. This seems to be a big confusion on the forums still, with people having their wires crossed about what we actually mean with "freezes". When I, and quite a few others, talk about "panel freezes" we don't talk about having a problem with FSX freezing/crashing. We are talking about having problems with the NGX within a perfectly fine FSX. The MFDs freeze, switches can be moved with their appropriate sound effects but don't do anything anymore and the controls don't respond anymore. There is not freezing of FSX itself involved whatsoever.

I can't answer question number 2, because none of the options apply to me. For me the aircraft instruments and controls freeze up, while FSX keeps running unfaltering all the time. It doesn't freeze for a few seconds and it certainly doesn't lock up or crash on me.
Okay I will add you option to the poll.
This seems to be a big confusion on the forums still, with people having their wires crossed about what we actually mean with "freezes". When I, and quite a few others, talk about "panel freezes" we don't talk about having a problem with FSX freezing/crashing. We are talking about having problems with the NGX within a perfectly fine FSX. The MFDs freeze, switches can be moved with their appropriate sound effects but don't do anything anymore and the controls don't respond anymore. There is not freezing of FSX itself involved whatsoever.
That is what this poll is about, the NGX.

You should probably add an option for people who don't have FSUIPC to mark down that too on the survey..
Good suggestion - Done

5 or more (autoland works fine, aircraft freeze on manual landing) / The plane freezes but FSX continues to run / When landing (and the occasional panel freeze at random flight stages when using the FMC a lot) / No - Never / Yes - I completed the Tutorial Flight without any problems (autoland) / Yes - I have made a few changes (removing info texts and trying the HIGHMEMFIX=1 entry. No other tweaks) / No registered version of FSUIPC / On Windows drive but on a different position/path / Fairly new and still learning.

Okay I will add you option to the poll.
Thanks!
That is what this poll is about, the NGX.
I get that. But it's a big difference if just the NGX has a problem and FSX runs fine or if running the NGX kills FSX. These things could stem from completely different causes, that's why it's important to differentiate.

I get that. But it's a big difference if just the NGX has a problem and FSX runs fine or if running the NGX kills FSX. These things could stem from completely different causes, that's why it's important to differentiate.
Well I am at the limit of what I can add to this poll. The Freeze currently can't be reproduced on the Dev Teams systems, so at this point it is just guesswork whether or not it is NGX Coding, or that the NGX is overloading FSX. It also may be neither because the majority are running fine without any issues and only a small percentage are having a problem. When I say small percentage I am referring to that fact they have probably sold thousands of copies of the plane vs however many are reporting issues. Logic would say that if the majority are running it fine then it would have to be something else that is only affecting a select group of people under certain conditions. That is going to be a hard thing to track down. But I am sure the PMDG Team is throwing all their resources at it.

Hi!Don´t know if this is related to this post, but anyway I will try to clarify. Here it goes:How many of you have some "freezing" in Win7x64 when using only the IE explorer browser?I have occasinally some freezes, where the mouse locks like it´s occupied and I can´t do anything.I takes some 20 sec or more, then it´s fine again and I can continue with browsing the net.Those time I looked whats the probs what, it says diffr things almost every times???Just wonder if this could affect FSX also and the NGX?Haven´t yet installed my new FSX gold Edition and haven´t either bought the NGX yet, but I will.Have no desire in flying, when it´s still summer (late summer) but usually I get the feeling back every autumn and during the winter season.Have just bought my new Rig in the beginning of august and have just finished the install of myFs9 and all addons again.(tons of it) Next will be the install of FSX and then NGX.Following the forum, trying to collect every tips I can get./ Leffe cool.png

I have occasinally some freezes, where the mouse locks like it´s occupied and I can´t do anything.
I have had that happen to me a few times as well. Usually happens when I am running the Cold and Dark panel state and rushing to setup the aircraft and getting a little too trigger happy with the mouse. I also noticed it happens consistantly around the time I am either clicking the APU switch off or switching the buses.

OMG 67% answered "I am a Pro and Knowledgable about it's systems and procedures" ... Seriously ...

I have had that happen to me a few times as well. Usually happens when I am running the Cold and Dark panel state and rushing to setup the aircraft and getting a little too trigger happy with the mouse. I also noticed it happens consistantly around the time I am either clicking the APU switch off or switching the buses.
Paul....I ain´t using the NGX and FSX yet. This happens when I only use IE Explorer and use the net, browsing.Don´t know if I was clear enough in my post. If I wasn´t, I´m sorry. / Leffe

Leffe,Interesting your post about IE, I don't use it, it has nver been updated, and I have flown nearly 100+ hours with out a CTD or a panel freeze. In fact this may sound cocky, but have been very conservative about what goes in my fsx config. FPS is around 40+ arround heavy airports like FSDT KDFW etc. I don't use ENB, or a limiter which I don't need. Not that I don't like them, just don't think they are stable enough when running a complex aircraft like the NGX.I did do a self inflicted CTD when I was troubleshooting for another pilot, I put in the following tweaks that ******* tweaking guide provided, listed below.//[bufferPools]//UsePools=1//PoolSize=8388608//RejectThreshold=131072<<<<<<<<CTD OOM Orbx YMML [bufferPools]UsePools=0<<<<<<<CTD OOM OrbxYBBNRejectThreshold=131072 [bufferPools]PoolSize=30000>>>>>This is the one I use currently. Balance of performance and stability. 40 + No stutters YBBNAbove proves nothing though. Just a couple of tweaks that don't suit what I have in the box. But, how many don't know what tweaks are good or bad ?Anyway, who knows what is causing some to have these issues, could be hardware, or a tweak. Time will tell. CheersJulian

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Hi Julian!Copied your post! Who knows if I´m going to use your PoolSize or not. Just trying to collect every tips there is. rolleyes.gif Thanks / Leffe

Hi Julian! Copied your post! Who knows if I´m going to use your PoolSize or not. Just trying to collect every tips there is. rolleyes.gif Thanks / Leffe
No worries Leffe. You have almost the same system as I have, only difference is I have 8GB DDR3 kingston 1600MHZ, Gigabyte Z68 MB and FSX is on a WD Vrap.hope it all goes well for you when it comes time to run the NGX. CheersJulian

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.