Sign in to follow this  
drewsaw2

Benefits of overclocking

Some of you who are familiar with my posts in the last few weeks know that I've been experiencing bad performance on my new build. Mostly issues with stutters. The only thing I have left to do before I give up and sell it is to OC. I have followed Nicks guides to set-up (4x), Bojote's tweaks, and even replaced my HDD and Ram. So what kind of performance benefits can I get with a typical OC on the 2500k? I'm at 3.3 now so say anything above 4.0. Cheers

CPU: i7-9700KF stable @ 5.0GHz | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti @ stock | RAM: G. Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz | PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus | COOLING: Deepcool Castle 240 AIO | PANEL: 27" @ 1080p

U will get much better FPS and usually smoother performance if it is a stable overclock. It is a waste having a sandy bridge and not over clocking it. I cant believe u replaced your HDD and RAM before trying to OC. What kind of cpu cooler do u have and motherboard? I get an easy 4.6 OC on air.Ok I just woke up and seen your sig with specs. I have the same cooler u have so u should be good to go.

Matt Wilson

If you can get it to 4.5 gig, your stutters will be gone. You may still have to tweak the odd parameter - like autogen, traffic or cloud density, but for all intents and purposes - you will have reached our goal. Why on earth would you even think about giving up when there are so many success stories here??

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Ok thanksReplaced the HDD because it was a green drive and it would go to sleep. The guy who did the swap for me also threw in the ripjaws because he had them laying around

If you can get it to 4.5 gig, your stutters will be gone. You may still have to tweak the odd parameter - like autogen, traffic or cloud density, but for all intents and purposes - you will have reached our goal. Why on earth would you even think about giving up when there are so many success stories here??
hah, I guess I'm becoming disheartened. So little time for this as it is. Thanks Paul

CPU: i7-9700KF stable @ 5.0GHz | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti @ stock | RAM: G. Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz | PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus | COOLING: Deepcool Castle 240 AIO | PANEL: 27" @ 1080p

Stuttering could have a number of potential sources and by no means is overclocking guaranteed to make them go away. Allowing your AV (like NOD32) to check for MS Updates could be just one potential source of stutters out of many. In my opinion if you cannot get rid of the stutters at 3.3 then the chances of doing so at 4.3 remain slim.

Konrad

You will have stutters at 3.3. Part of the process of tuning FSX is to get rid of the "known causes" of stuttering - and A/V software is one of them. Here's the 2600K/ASUS P8P oc settings for my clunker, Drew. Try them out - maybe a multiplier of 40 or 42 to start with. http://www.mediafire.com/?zveycp3qh3hdfz8

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Stuttering could have a number of potential sources and by no means is overclocking guaranteed to make them go away. Allowing your AV (like NOD32) to check for MS Updates could be just one potential source of stutters out of many. In my opinion if you cannot get rid of the stutters at 3.3 then the chances of doing so at 4.3 remain slim.
AV and updates are disabled

....... I'd forget my head if it wasn't screwed on..... http://www.mediafire.com/?zveycp3qh3hdfz8

....... I'd forget my head if it wasn't screwed on..... http://www.mediafire...zveycp3qh3hdfz8
Haha I was having a hard time imaging yours settings. Thanks Paul, I will try when I get home tonight.

You will have stutters at 3.3. Part of the process of tuning FSX is to get rid of the "known causes" of stuttering - and A/V software is one of them. Here's the 2600K/ASUS P8P oc settings for my clunker, Drew. Try them out - maybe a multiplier of 40 or 42 to start with. http://www.mediafire...zveycp3qh3hdfz8
I am sure OCing is worth trying but I am running a 2600K at the default 3.4 GHZ and FSX is running very smoothly with no stutters. YMMV. Win7 64Bit2600K @3.4GHZGTX5808GB RAM @ 1333MHZ

... then you have never seen FSX at 4.8 with all the heavy stuff in place: and that means you don't know what you're missing...

... then you have never seen FSX at 4.8 with all the heavy stuff in place: and that means you don't know what you're missing...
Hi Paul,I am sure it would be better with a faster CPU clock rate but I was just saying that running at 3.4GHZ does not mean that you will have stuttering. I am running FSX with ASE, GEX, REX2.0 with Clouds at 4096 and UTX2 with everything on but night lighting with fairly high settings (no add-on sceneries though) and I fly some of the more demanding aircraft (NGX, JS41, Flight1 Mustang etc) into the some of the busiest of the default airports (KSEA, KORD, KJFK etc) and FSX is very smooth and responsive with no stuttering. I figured I would try OCing when I started to run into problems but so far have not needed to do it. I have actually been suprised that up to this point I have not needed to OC. Bojotes tweaks have helped ALOT. I looked at your spec and it does look very nice!Tom

Affinitymask=14 pretty much cured my stutters along with bufferpools=0 Many stutters are down to wrong videocard settings, fragmentation or simply inadequate hardware. IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

If you are unfamiliar with overclocking and want to see if it will help you, your gigabyte motherboard has a tool called EasyTune that will apply a moderate overclock. Many will tell you to do it yourself, but that takes time and some know-how. Easy tune is a good start, if you use the maximum Easytune overclock, you should be able to get up to 4.2 ghz.

Yes, I used Easytune to go straight to 4.2 and then took it from there. The Gigabyte board has the ability to save BIOS settings so it is easy to save the easytune 4.2 tuning and then develop it further without jeopardizing the original overclock. I currently run at 4.6 but I have a saved BIOS for 4.8. I run at 4.6 because there is little observeable, if any difference, in my FSX performance between 4.6 and 4.8.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.