Sign in to follow this  
palala

Apu start problem

Help! when starting the APU the pressure gauge moves up, the low oil pressure lights up the needle goes all the way up and then decreases but instead of turning the APU lights on it reverts to original position and fault light appears.??? have no idea what I am doing wrong and have scrutinised the manuals but they dont (or I have not found it using the pdf search option) seem to show a step by step guide!assistance would be appreciated.thanksMel

Are you by any chance changing panel states? If so, there seems to be an issue when changing form a panel state where the APU is on to the cold and dark one. The sim still thinks the APU is on, even tough you get no power, bleed air or indications from it.

Cristi Neagu

Please sign full name as per forum rules. Do you have service based faults on? Did you start a flight, then switch to the NGX or did you load the NGX from the main menu? Did you load a previously saved flight or start fresh?

oops sorry for not signing. the process followed was:load fsxselected Ryan airset airport to EGBB at standreal weatherfly nowscreen opened up in VC countdown started in green from 20 to zerooverhead setting:

batteries onclicked on start APUafter a couple of seconds needle started moving to top of scalelow oil pressure light illuminatedneedle began to descend to normal level but continued moving down to zeroError light lit up (next to low oil pressure)continuous alarm :constant beeping. then I tried with Ground power et al,managed to start right enginebut could not get the Left engine to start. APU message received hence back to square one! hope this helps thanksMel Few

For the engine start, make sure crossfeed valve is OPEN not AUTO

For the engine start, make sure crossfeed valve is OPEN not AUTO
AUTO can be used for engine start, you need to have the packs off. (and it is a normal procedure to have them off during starting)I put isolation valve in open position only if I need both packs running on APU.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Auto will have the valve only partially open, which you can't do a crossbleed start from.

After Battery on also Standby Power cap has to be closed before APU start, i'm missing that from your to-do list smile.png

Auto will have the valve only partially open, which you can't do a crossbleed start from.
That's wrong, the valve is electrically operated either OFF or ON, in Auto mode it uses this logic:immaginelym.jpg
After Battery on also Standby Power cap has to be closed before APU start, i'm missing that from your to-do list smile.png
The stby power has nothing to do with starting sequence for the APU, and, if battery charge is at the minimum limits for apu starting, it is preferred to drain as less power as you can, stby power drains alot.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

When I could not start the engines yesterday I used Cntr-E, which started both engines. I had ground power and APU on (no failures), but I could find no way to start the engine and was too lazy to look up the checklist.

Henri Arsenault

To start the engine you need bleed pressure. If using ground cart is OK, if using APU is OK, if you are starting the second engine using the first one you need to spool up the running engine until pressure is above30PSI

Regards

Andrea Daviero

thanks for all the advice guys. I set the fms to cold and dark start and that seems to have resolved the problemAngel.gif now I will try another livery with short turnaround set.thanks againregardsMel Few

thanks for all the advice guys. I set the fms to cold and dark start and that seems to have resolved the problemAngel.gif now I will try another livery with short turnaround set.thanks againregardsMel Few
What you experienced was a feature. You had a failed APU. Next time check the failures or turn off service based failures if you don't want them (apparently you do not).

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

well now that the APU issue has been resolved and the failures set to off.. i have a problem starting the right engine? perhaps an age thing. cannot be too complicated as I fly the PMDG Jetstream which is a real......">>>" just have to try again! cheersMel Few