Sign in to follow this  
pampiermole

ILS or no ILS

I was approaching an airport (RPVP) that does not have an ILS. I selected the runway in the fmc, but not more than that. I do not know why I did it, but I entered the VOR freq from the airport into the nav1 radio. Then, to my surprise, after that there was that magneta dot for both the ILS and Localizer. The plane followed the ILS path down, like there was one. Not what I expected. An autoland was not possible. I guess this is normal for some reason. But, what reason?

No, just like any normal ILS approach. A LOC dot and a ILS dot. However, I tried it again and I did not reproduce the incident.

You mean a LOC dot and a GS dot. An ILS is made up of a localizer(horizontal, bottom of PFD) and a glideslope (vertical, right of PFD). My guess is that you selected "GS on" or something like that either when you selected the runway in DEP/ARR page, or on the INIT REF page. It is somewhere in the bottom right.

Cristi Neagu

Cristi, Would you mind explain your last phrase about "GS on" - from what I know, a simple LOC approach does not provide GS. As you said, only ILS provides GS. Regards,

Heron Jr

800driver.jpg

This is what i mean, at LSK 2R: ngxcdu.th.jpg That should be off for anything other than ILS approaches, or, i think, the FMS will try to simulate a glideslope. P.S.: This is all from the top of my head. P.P.S.: Image posting isn't really my strong point... so bare with me.P.P.P.S.: Also, don't comment at my choice of STAR and transitions... I was just punching buttons to make the shot.

Cristi Neagu

Welcome to the world of IAN - Integrated Approach Navigation and approach. It's a capability of the aircraft that creates lateral and vertical guidance for non precision approaches, including VOR approaches. Just dial in the navigational beacon frequency and press the APP button (before intersecting the runway centerline) on the MCP. Scott was onto it in his post above...when you do this, you'll get a "FAC" and "G/P" indication on the PFD...very cool, no?

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Is it possible to do an ILS approach without any input into the FMC? I cannot seem to capture the glidescope when not using LNAV and VNAV. I hit VOR/LOC and i capture the localizer, but when I hit APP, I get the SINGLE CH msg and the plane will just stay at current altitude. yes VOR dialed into both radios, both F/D on, fail operational, CRS set, etc...

<--------------->
Mike Murawski