Sign in to follow this  
RYR738

Making Waypoints (Tutorial)

I have seen this subject brought up many times and I though I would make a little Tutorial explaining how to make.............. 1. Place-Bearing/Distance waypoints. 2. Place-Bearing/Place-Bearing waypoints. 3. Along Track waypoints. I will use some Pics to make it much easier to understand. The route in the pics is KBFI to KLAX.The Legs Page will be used for making these waypoints. I hope peolple find these little tutorials useful. Fred.

Ok...........................we are flying the route but ATC tells us to fly to KATSO.The only problem is KATSO is not in the NAV Database. Solution No 1. Place-Bearing/Distance waypoint !! We could use the Sacremento VOR (SAC) as the place and then enter the Bearing and Distance from it.It can be seen from the map that KATSO is Bearing 080 and 49 miles from Sacremento VOR. You would use this method to enter the waypoint ! a. Use SAC as the Place. b. Use 080 as the Bearing. c. Use 49 as the Distance. and then enter it like this in the scratchpad ! SAC080/49The FMC will rename it SAC01. The pics should help to see this in action.

Fred!Great idea! I, and I´m certain many others, will be looking forward to those tutorials./ Leffe rolleyes.gif

Yeah! Good post!!! I had use it with the Level-D 767, but i forgot it!!! Thanks

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Thanks Fred, but do you know if we can enter custom waypoints along the planned flight path for ETOPS flights like EEP, CP1, and EXP? I know this is outside the areas your teaching here but just rang a bell I've been wanting. Learned this on the MD-11 AOA training for drawing a DME Arc. This is all I'm missing from my ETOPS flights and soon TOPCAT developers are making a new flight planner with ETOPS planning in mind.

Solution No 2 !! Place-bearing/place-bearing waypoint. In this example we will use the Bearing from 2 different VOR's. a. SAC is the Place. b. 080 is the Bearing c. LIN is the Place. d. 029 is the Bearing. It is entered in the scratchpad like this ! SAC080/LIN029 or LIN029/SAC080 (the name the FMC will give it will depend on how you entered it) The FMC will rename it SAC01 or LIN01 depending on the above entry.

Thanks Fred, but do you know if we can enter custom waypoints along the planned flight path for ETOPS flights like EEP, CP1, and EXP? I know this is outside the areas your teaching here but just rang a bell I've been wanting. Learned this on the MD-11 AOA training for drawing a DME Arc. This is all I'm missing from my ETOPS flights and soon TOPCAT developers are making a new flight planner with ETOPS planning in mind.
You can in the plane. From memory, INIT REF - NAV DATA - WAYPOINT - Enter EEP or EXP1 or whatever. You can then create the coordinates for the custom waypoint.

Matt Cee

"Along Track " waypoints ! Unlike the other 2 types of manually added waypoints,Along Track waypoints reference a waypoint that is already part of the Route. In the the examples below both Along Track waypoints reference the OED waypoint already in the Route. Along Track waypoints don't cause discontinuities. To make new waypoints before or after OED just line select OED to the scratchpad and add the value after the / symbol.Always use the minus sign for negative values. No need for the plus sign for positive values.When finished adding your value just line select it back up to OED. (The FMC will rename them OED01, OED02 etc.)

And last but not least !! Latitude/Longtitude waypoints. They are self explanatory really. By entering them correctly in the CDU they will get sequenced in the active route just like any other waypoint.The FMC will rename this N48W160 (Lat + 1st 2 digits and LON + 1st 3 digits)

Ye,p as I'm used to Airbus, this would be really nice as a sticky. Any Chance PMDG? Martin Wilby

Fred! Great idea! I, and I´m certain many others, will be looking forward to those tutorials. / Leffe rolleyes.gif
Yeah! Good post!!! I had use it with the Level-D 767, but i forgot it!!! Thanks
Thanks !!!

STICKY!!!!!!!PLEASE!!!!
Ye,p as I'm used to Airbus, this would be really nice as a sticky. Any Chance PMDG? Martin Wilby
It's up to PMDG guys and gals !! Fred.

Fred, I was trying to remember (gets harder every day, CRS) how to add a distance circle along my route. I remember that was a nice thing to lay a 30, 40 or 50 mile circle around your destination or a fix or T/D. I can come up with a user fix but not a circle. Thanks. Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Fred, I was trying to remember (gets harder every day, CRS) how to add a distance circle along my route. I remember that was a nice thing to lay a 30, 40 or 50 mile circle around your destination or a fix or T/D. I can come up with a user fix but not a circle. Can you do a mini, mini-tutorial on that one. Thanks. Ray
Hi Ray ! That is easy to do Ray. Go to the FIX page in the CDU.Type the name of the place where you want that green circleand in the line below it enter /10 for a 10 mile radius circle. don't forget the "slash"...../ before the number. /15 for 15 miles etc.