Sign in to follow this  
HiFly

IAN procedures? Question for RL NGX pilots

Great to see so many RL NGX pilots aboard this forum. I have a question for any of you concerning IAN on the 737. I have read a bit about this new IAN capability that has been recently retrofitted into NGX. The FCOM does not actually detail the setup of the procedure. I notice that our PMDG model has a GS 'on/off' option available for all approaches in the database. Is this for the IAN procedure? The FCOM illustrates what looks like a straight in visual approach being flown as an IAN with RWY threshold as the MAP and course and dme referenced from that point. Procedure seems to indicate that once on an intercept course pressing APP will then program capture of both the inbound course and associated GP which would then be flown as if it were an ILS. The display will indicate GP instead of GS. First off, is our PMDG NGX equipped for IAN procedures? And secondly, does there have to be a published procedure for this or can it be applied to any approach (precision or non-precision)? Is a nav frequency required or does it just capture the heading to the threshold as set up in the FMC? I tried to set up an IAN approach to MBGT (Grand Turk) using what info I could gleen from the FCOM. MBGT did not have any published procedures in the FMC app/dep menu but it did off visual approaches to 11 and 29. I selected rwy 11 with a 10 nm extension waypoint transition and selected GS = ON. It set it up in the Legs menu with crossing altitude and 3^ glide path so I thought it was going to work. When I was at intecept altitude and on an intercept leg I pushed APP buttton but nothing happened - button would not light up. No course or GP arming was displaying. I ended up flying as an auto-coupled LNAV/VNAV approach to minimums which is quite a neat procedure in itself but it was not an IAN! I would hope to get some Real World input on this new system if anyone out there has actually used it or some more clarity from PMDG on how to set up and use the procedure in FSX if in fact it has been modeled. Thank you all in advance.

I have to say it, and I'm being pedantic. It's NG, not NGX. NGX refers to the FS addon. NG is the real life counterpart. In the mean time, my being "overly corrective" bumped your post! LOL.gif I was under the impression the APP button was strictly for radio equipment. You should be using the VNAV channel instead.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Great to see so many RL NGX pilots aboard this forum. I have a question for any of you concerning IAN on the 737. I have read a bit about this new IAN capability that has been recently retrofitted into NGX. The FCOM does not actually detail the setup of the procedure. I notice that our PMDG model has a GS 'on/off' option available for all approaches in the database. Is this for the IAN procedure? The FCOM illustrates what looks like a straight in visual approach being flown as an IAN with RWY threshold as the MAP and course and dme referenced from that point. Procedure seems to indicate that once on an intercept course pressing APP will then program capture of both the inbound course and associated GP which would then be flown as if it were an ILS. The display will indicate GP instead of GS. First off, is our PMDG NGX equipped for IAN procedures? And secondly, does there have to be a published procedure for this or can it be applied to any approach (precision or non-precision)? Is a nav frequency required or does it just capture the heading to the threshold as set up in the FMC? I tried to set up an IAN approach to MBGT (Grand Turk) using what info I could gleen from the FCOM. MBGT did not have any published procedures in the FMC app/dep menu but it did off visual approaches to 11 and 29. I selected rwy 11 with a 10 nm extension waypoint transition and selected GS = ON. It set it up in the Legs menu with crossing altitude and 3^ glide path so I thought it was going to work. When I was at intecept altitude and on an intercept leg I pushed APP buttton but nothing happened - button would not light up. No course or GP arming was displaying. I ended up flying as an auto-coupled LNAV/VNAV approach to minimums which is quite a neat procedure in itself but it was not an IAN! I would hope to get some Real World input on this new system if anyone out there has actually used it or some more clarity from PMDG on how to set up and use the procedure in FSX if in fact it has been modeled. Thank you all in advance.
Per the FCOM page 5.61, you need a localizer or VOR tuned in both radios and a glideslope angle displayed in the legs page even if the approach is via GPS. DJ

Per the FCOM page 5.61, you need a localizer or VOR tuned in both radios and a glideslope angle displayed in the legs page even if the approach is via GPS. DJ
??? I'm not sure about that one. I'm still looking for "5.61"

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I was under the impression the APP button was strictly for radio equipment. You should be using the VNAV channel instead.
You can use the APP button for IAN approaches as well...hence Integrated Approach Navigation...

You can use the APP button for IAN approaches as well...hence Integrated Approach Navigation...
Thanks Rhen! Hence my saying "I was under the impression"...... Learn something new everyday.

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Thanks Rhen! Hence my saying "I was under the impression"...... Learn something new everyday.
The first 2 years are the hardest !!

??? I'm not sure about that one. I'm still looking for "5.61"
Humble apologies! I meant the FCTM... [insert embarrassed smiley here] DJ

I have just read FCTM 5.61. It DOES state that either a localizer or vor frequency must be input but only in ONE nav radio since IAN is not a full autoland. IAN then would simply be a more precise altenative to LNAV/VNAV available for non-precison approaches: Loc/Loc-BC/VOR. Cannot understand why anyone would use it when a full ILS is available, however. My mistaken attempt at it alluded to in OP, however, did illuminate the capability of constructing and flying a visual approach with LNAV/VNAV which is certainly helpful in a 2 dimensional simulation. My next test flight then will be to an airport with only VOR or Loc-BC approaches to give IAN another try.

• Upvote 1

I have just read FCTM 5.61. It DOES state that either a localizer or vor frequency must be input but only in ONE nav radio since IAN is not a full autoland. IAN then would simply be a more precise altenative to LNAV/VNAV available for non-precison approaches: Loc/Loc-BC/VOR. Cannot understand why anyone would use it when a full ILS is available, however. My mistaken attempt at it alluded to in OP, however, did illuminate the capability of constructing and flying a visual approach with LNAV/VNAV which is certainly helpful in a 2 dimensional simulation. My next test flight then will be to an airport with only VOR or Loc-BC approaches to give IAN another try.
It uses the word "radios"... DJ

IAN is a Boeing Option !Fcom Vol 2 pages 232/233. I have no experince with IAN at all.Will try it in the NGX though.

It uses the word "radios"... DJ
Aha! That it does! I guess we may need some clarity from perhaps Fred if he has had RW experience with IAN. I understand why both navs are required for a complete CAT III autoland but it seems an IAN would not need the redundancy.

Aha! That it does! I guess we may need some clarity from perhaps Fred if he has had RW experience with IAN. I understand why both navs are required for a complete CAT III autoland but it seems an IAN would not need the redundancy.
I suspect the radios update the INS/GPS that the flight control software is using for the approach and it's a redundancy thing in case of radio failure... DJ

I suspect the radios update the INS/GPS that the flight control software is using for the approach and it's a redundancy thing in case of radio failure... DJ
That would make sense.

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules