Sign in to follow this  
clum

Flight project cancelled/on hold

Hi,the German Flight Sim magazine "FLIGHT" asked Microsoft and they confirmed, that the cancellation was hoax. MS are still working on MS Flight. http://www.flightm.com/2011/09/falschmeldung-zu-microsoft-flight/ Although I would not be 100% sure about the FLIGHT magazine, as I know the publisher and he is a bit infamous in the German Flight Simulation community...

Regards, Dimitri Alymov
Intel Ivy Bridge 3770K @ 4,5GHz, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, NVidia GTX1080TI (11GB), Win 10 Pro, P3DV4

Well, let's wait for Microsoft denial, then. The least they can do. From the beginning, the team in charge of FLIGHT seems so wrong about what simmers wish.An online game ? A marketplace ? They don't even know what is a simmer anymore. The charm is broken!Dom
I’m not sure how you can say that…because these are all things that are very important to the hobby :)I think if you looked at how we use FS - you’d come to the same conclusions MS designers have. Multiplayer: Vastsim, Ivao, GamespyMarkets: Flight1, Aerosoft, etc, etcSocial networks: Asim.com, FlightSim.com The work MS has done facilitates this stuff and helps improve further integration.We can only add-on-to the base MS sets.We need those hooks to be built in to the core.So no Gamespy no Vatsim. Want a better Vatsim?Then we need MS to advance the multiplayer.And it's the same for markets and FS communities. Also there's been no unusual delay in promotion material on FLIGHT.It comes it bits and pieces on their terms...If we had our way there'd be new info every day ;)They'd really prefer to say nothing until it's done.Everything gets super-scrutinized and inevitably misinterpreted.So it takes a lot of care to do well.

Maybe for the first time in the project one of the developers tried Flight out on an average computer system! Hypnotized.gif
PHouahagnagnagnahahah now THAT was funny.....Clown.gifClown.gif

It remains to be seen if there is any fire to this smoke, but if there is, I won't be bothering to learn it from someone who regards acting like a name-calling scalded child as a suitable way to behave when broadcasting, who then expects to be taken seriously. Frankly, that was embarrassing to watch. Does this guy really imagine that insulting Tom Allensworth and slagging off the world's number one flight sim website is going to gain him any admirers in the world of flight simming? Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

According to the latest episode of tenminutetaxi, the flight project is on hold while Microsoft re-evaluate its profitability. The information apparently comes from a MS insider. Anyone have any more info on this or how credible it is?
Callum, bit off topic, but I checked out your FS9 screen shots link.Glad I did, they are FANTASTIC!Did you reproduce the depth of field on some via Photoshop?Sorry for going off topic but I had to post big nod to your work mate.

A few people, like Tenminutetaxi, like some others, try to find and share news as much as they can do. On this tiny market, this isreally difficult. But we try. We try to find good news and ( i assure you) it takes time. And there is not so much money to gainin doing this. We are humans, we have defauts. we make mistakes. The guy from TenMinuteTaxi sent his excuses after the Avsim thing. But, by the way, i am not shure what is AVSIM anymore ? Is it just a free loading library or a news site too ? Because, if it is a newsite,then, some of us are still waiting for real news, i mean real - kind of news - that take some editorial courage.Me, Dom Mason, from Airdailyx, i am still waiting by the way for some answers about AVSIM store, next to my article.Me, Dom Mason, I take hits every week from unsatisfied designers or companies.It's up to you (AVSIM), what d'you want to be ? Another Simflop ? Dom

Given that FSX was such a huge cash cow for MS, why would this even be in question?

Given that FSX was such a huge cash cow for MS, why would this even be in question?
Speculation, how does anyone know what the return on investment was for FSX? Bottom line is they don't and one can make an educated guess that ACES Studios was a poor investment as it was shut down, something you generally don't do with a money making division. Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Well, let's wait for Microsoft denial, then. The least they can do. From the beginning, the team in charge of FLIGHT seems so wrong about what simmers wish.An online game ? A marketplace ? They don't even know what is a simmer anymore. The charm is broken!Dom
Wrong about your wishes not simmers ... some simmers dont care if it has online gaming . FSX already does. Many dont care if it includes a marketplace ... a non integrated marketplace already exists. Additionally, MS said early one that flight will include something for gamers and serious flight simmers ....

It remains to be seen if there is any fire to this smoke, but if there is, I won't be bothering to learn it from someone who regards acting like a name-calling scalded child as a suitable way to behave when broadcasting, who then expects to be taken seriously. Frankly, that was embarrassing to watch. Does this guy really imagine that insulting Tom Allensworth and slagging off the world's number one flight sim website is going to gain him any admirers in the world of flight simming? Al
yep .. his approach does completely kill any credibility.

Would they really not take all possibilities into consideration before beginning the project, seems like a monumental case of hindsight if it were true. Pull the plug, start up again, pull the plug. Then again there seems to be no news from MS so who knows...I like how he spent the first five minutes whinging about his ban. For anyone who wants to skip to his blurb about FLIGHT it can be found at 13:00 of his latest episode.
Yes they would. I've been involved with a number of projects that went through a series of reviews as they weere developed. The final one was the RED review, If it failed that the project was cancelled, regardless of what had been spent. It 's a case on not throwing good money after bad.
Microsoft know very well what its target market wants. As has been said time and time again, "simmers" are not the target market - there are too few of them. As for the truth, lets wait for the facts

....Microsoft know very well what its target market wants. As has been said time and time again, "simmers" are not the target market - there are too few of them. As for the truth, lets wait for the facts
Wrong .... MS has officially said that flight will have something for everyone ... gamers and simmers. Why is this hard for people to accept?

Flight sim has always had something for everyone, but simmers are not the target market. Why is THIS so hard for simmers to accept?

I know I'm not here much but I got wind of this guys banning and read all his 10 posts.I can't see where he went wrong to be honest. Unless the 'rude' ones were deleted. On the other hand I have know idea what he was going on about in the first 5 minutes of that video. ##### is Absock?

He was rude to one of my posts and some others. How about AV-Suck? Can you figure that one out?

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.