Sign in to follow this  
blocks_off

Freezing - Unless I land before the runway!

I normally only get chance to fly once/may be twice a week at the moment, so I rely alot on saved flights - and being able to reload them during the week when I get a few mins to practice an approach or just to takeoff.Fortunately I've not suffered much from CTDs but something I thought I would bring to the attention here, is some strange things when I load flights.Last weekend I flew to EGNX - Tallinn. Flight was ok. Now over the week when I have 15mins or so, I like to to do the take off and/or land from the last flight so over this week I 've reloaded the take off and landing situations.First point I noted on this flight is unless I load the takeoff situation, then I cannot load the landing situation. For interest the landing situtation is saved about 12 miles out, flying level at 3000 feet. Localiser captured runway 26 and glideslope waiting to capture. Flaps 5.When I notice that I cannot load the landing (i.e. I get a freeze), the sim just hangs with FSX not responding. But as I say I can happily work around that by reloading the takeoff situation, then loading the landing situation.The next item is more interesting and leads to the freeze that I assume is similar to what others freezing issues are similar to?No matter how I fly the landing {so still landing runway 26} (i.e. automatic or handflying) the sim will freeze just before I touch down. Now I thought that the altitude where the freeze occurs was random. I do not believe this is so anymore as:-If I fly above the runway at say 200 feet a freeze happens,If I fly above the runway at say 1000 feet a freeze happens (in this case flaps 10, no gear down)Which leaves me to think that it's a point along the runway that triggers this freeze?I do not believe that there is any corruption (as far Tallinn in FSX is concerened) as other aircraft are successful in doing the same approach and the original flight was also successful.If I land before the runway, the touchdown is successful. I have been successful doing this now (albeit only 3 times) everytime I try this.So as I said before, just mentioning this is case it's usefull to everyone looking at this problem.The other thing I've done without any problem is took one of my earlier flights (landing at GCFV) {pretty sure this was pre hot fix 2} - landed at GCFV, moved the plane to EGKK, changed the sim date to 26/Aug/11 (I normally fly using historical weather) took off from EGKK, flew visually to Hull {using Plan G to 'navigate visually' and landed in Hull. Prior to landing in Hull, I've save that situation and can reload that everytime and without any problem whatsoever. Not saying this is normally how I use my sim, but it's interesting how robust the NGX proves itself in this situation.Hope PMDG nail this one, and just to mention I am happy with the work arounds that I can do at the moment, but I'd not read anywhere about landing before the runway and thought this was interesting to mention (not suggesting you attempt this as a work around, but maybe reproducable on some systems and hopefully helpful to the long term solution)ThanksCarl Beeby

4 Flights (I think!) at the weekend - 3 short hauls (i.e. all less than 600nm) went without any problem.The final one EGBB - LGZA was similar to the Tallinn landing, i.e. after touchdown, the sim froze. I admit one thing, I was high and perhaps touched 1/3 away down the runway.Restored the flight twice - from 16 miles out - Flaps 5 and landed fine (unlike the Tallinn landing) on each occassion. And.... landed in the touchdown zone on both landings!Carl

Guys. I have the same problem as Carl. It happens to me at most landings, 1 second prior touchdown the system freez for a moment. I use the same addons as Carl, on a high end pc.It happens on default airports, but even on fly tampas etc.No problems with the PMDG 747-400, but with the 747 8i I faced the same freezing trouble.Help from an expert would be highly appreciated from myself and for sure from Carl.Any ideas/experience on this topic? Thanx Peter

Peter Frey

LSZH

The only 3 freezes I have had have all be in the course of landing as well. Either right when the wheels hit the ground or right before they touched down. It's happened at one FSDT airport (KFLL), one BluePrint airport (KIAH), and the default KDCA. Fortunately 3 freezes out of maybe 60 flights isn't too bad, but since it doesn't happen on my other PMDG a/c or any of my other a/c for that matter it would be cool if someone could figure out what is causing it. Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

So your theory is. If we crash land short of the runway there will be no more crashes? Hypnotized.gif
I do not know how we all would cope if you were not a member of this forum. Your technical knowledge and the ability to seek out and problem solve is outstandiing. I thank you from the heart of my bottom, If it was not for you, I could not face getting out of bed in the morning.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Out of interest, I thought I'd try the same situation file that leads to the above condition. Problem remains. However, as this is a loaded situation from vers 2922 I realise that the comparison to todays hotfix may not be valid and is only for feedback. Right, trip to the park next, then help with homework and maybe later some flying LOL.gif Carl Beeby

I originally had all sorts of "fatal errors" and freezes with the RTM version. When I loaded Fix 1, however, I began experiencing the freezing just before landing phenomenon. It seemed to occur as soon as I disconnected the AP to complete landing manually. I uninstalled everything. Added Affinitiy=14 to my fsx.cfg and reinstalled the RTM version and I have not had ANY CTD's or freezes since. As you can imagine I am a bit hesitant about trying any new fixes including the last one but there are some inaccuracies in the simulation namely the Go Around performance as well as inability to refill the depleting fluid levels that do need fixing. I am going to monitor closely these forums and hold off even on the SP1 until I can be reasurred that it will not make things worse. It has been my experience to note that "new and improved" often means "never quite as good as it once was"!