Sign in to follow this  
lagraf05

NGX exaggerated "floating?"

Well all my previous issues have been resolved, but now I have a new demon with this aircraft. I have read time and again the advice on how to land the NGX, which is a slippery plane indeed. However, I follow all the advice given (gently raise the nose, no sudden flare, cut the thrust at about 50'' depending on conditions etc.) Yet today at Inverness airport she WOULD NOT LAND. Only after floating about 100/150 feet did she touch down gently, which by then was almost too late to stop effectively. I thought it might be my speed, so I tried V-ref minus five, same thing happens. Almost desperate I tried minus ten, still occurred. It's almost as though the NGX hits about five feet and suddenly stops descending towards the runway. Is it and extreme ground effect by any chance? Can somebody please help me? It annoyed me greatly that I couldn't land her and I don't consider myself to be a half bad pilot (even in the non virtual world). What am I doing wrong? Or has PMDG maybe exaggerated the floating characteristics the NGX is famous for? I don't know, but I'd love to find out what I'm doing wrong. Raffaele

Just keep doing touch and goes. I'm having no floating issues when I peg Vref. Sounds like you need practice with the flare. There isn't much flare at all.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

True, thank you. I just find it odd to barely flare, really quite unnerving. I suppose bursting the tires is always on my mind. I use flaps 30 for a standard approach, I've read that's what is normal (40 is used for the shorter runways). What rate of descent is about right on hitting the runway? I'd guess about 200/250fpm but I could be way off. The ironic thing is that for in all other aspects of the NGX I can perform pretty darned well, systems, FMC, C&D startup, not a problem. Landing? It infuriates me.
I'd say more like 100-200 FPM. Landing, as you know, is an art.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

It floats a lot compared to the real one. The final approach attitude is a little bit off an that's most likely the cause, giving you too much lift when you check during the flare.
You're rated (not sarcasm)? I've seen two sides to the argument.

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

The ironic thing is that for in all other aspects of the NGX I can perform pretty darned well, systems, FMC, C&D startup, not a problem. Landing? It infuriates me.
I completly share your frustration. I recently made a post regarding this myself, more speificly a couple of hours ago. I got alot of responses and some helpfull tips, but nothing really big that i haden't already done. So i guess, and hope, its all about practise.. - Arthur

The attitude before the flare is already positive you just have to trust that ground effect will be there and flare very slightly. Read this over: http://www.b737.org....ngtechnique.htm
I've done so many approaches with this bird already ILS, Visual, TONS! And never once has the attitude been positive for me when coming in. Its always been nose right at 0 or slightly negative and then the flare is initiated, I do however wish that it would come in with a positive attitude Derek

Derek Lane

Passenger Division Vice-President

AirHaul Airline Alliance

It floats as much as any other aircraft of it's size. I don't see the problem. I've landed multiple times right where I should be (150 ft beyond the 1500 ft markers).There is an old saying : "A bad workman always blames his tools."

I've done so many approaches with this bird already ILS, Visual, TONS! And never once has the attitude been positive for me when coming in. Its always been nose right at 0 or slightly negative and then the flare is initiated, I do however wish that it would come in with a positive attitude Derek
Are you empty? I've yet to see a "flat" approach.

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Well all my previous issues have been resolved, but now I have a new demon with this aircraft. I have read time and again the advice on how to land the NGX, which is a slippery plane indeed. However, I follow all the advice given (gently raise the nose, no sudden flare, cut the thrust at about 50'' depending on conditions etc.) Yet today at Inverness airport she WOULD NOT LAND. Only after floating about 100/150 feet did she touch down gently, which by then was almost too late to stop effectively. I thought it might be my speed, so I tried V-ref minus five, same thing happens. Almost desperate I tried minus ten, still occurred. It's almost as though the NGX hits about five feet and suddenly stops descending towards the runway. Is it and extreme ground effect by any chance? Can somebody please help me? It annoyed me greatly that I couldn't land her and I don't consider myself to be a half bad pilot (even in the non virtual world). What am I doing wrong? Or has PMDG maybe exaggerated the floating characteristics the NGX is famous for? I don't know, but I'd love to find out what I'm doing wrong. Raffaele
I can confirm, that the flare characteristics of the NGX are not like in the real Boeing! If you close the throttles during touchdown below VREF you will drop down onto the runway (sometimes little uncomfortable...) This applies especially to Flaps 40 landings! The NGX flares and flares and flares down the runway even with the perfect speed and below.. The NGX is the best ever product for PC-based Simulation. With my critism I only try to improve this great product. Greeting Berni Lamberts

Are you empty? I've yet to see a "flat" approach.
I've done a mix from light to medium load to heavy loads and the same result each time Addition:My landing rates are awesome usually around 95-150 FPMbut it annoys me watching my bird come in "Flat" or slightly negative additude. Never in my life have I seen a -800 come in like that lol and I watch dozens of WestJet's come in daily.

Derek Lane

AirHaul Airline Alliance

I've done a mix from light to medium load to heavy loads and the same result each time Addition:My landing rates are awesome usually around 95-150 FPMbut it annoys me watching my bird come in "Flat" or slightly negative additude. Never in my life have I seen a -800 come in like that lol and I watch dozens of WestJet's come in daily.
That's definitely not good if you're at a slightly negative attitude.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

That's definitely not good if you're at a slightly negative attitude.
HAHA Believe me I know, and I cant figure out why. Derek

Derek Lane

AirHaul Airline Alliance