Sign in to follow this  
lagraf05

NGX exaggerated "floating?"

HAHA Believe me I know, and I cant figure out why. Derek
Hmm...I'm lost for words why this may happen...I'd suggest Flaps, but seeing they lessen the AoA, that may not be the best idea.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Hmm...I'm lost for words why this may happen...I'd suggest Flaps, but seeing they lessen the AoA, that may not be the best idea.
I almost always land Flaps 30 VREF+5I will make this clear though, When landing the aircraft does flare properly its just on the final decent like after capturing the G/S that it is slightly negative attitude

Derek Lane

Passenger Division Vice-President

AirHaul Airline Alliance

I almost always land Flaps 30 VREF+5 I will make this clear though, When landing the aircraft does flare properly its just on the final decent like after capturing the G/S that it is slightly negative attitude
What does your approach speed look like? Because at higher approach speeds the aircraft struggles to descend as the wings still want to generate lift, and so must have a negative attitude to compensate... (Lay-mans language)

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Roughly the majority of my approach speeds are about 148-150

Derek Lane

AirHaul Airline Alliance

For an average weighted 738, with flaps 30, I'd say you should be looking closer to 140 knots off the top of my head...

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

This is definitly what my landings should look like, but they dont.Safir, is this with the "Drag Scaler" Fix??? Derek

Derek Lane

AirHaul Airline Alliance

Only PMDG NGX with Latest patch!! dont forget to calculate carefully your Vref speed and you also have to put thrust on idle at 20ft AGL

Alright well maybe the answer to this question will fix my issue, For calculating the Vref speed you just line select it in the Approach Ref Page? where you set the flaps in the FMC? Or is there more to this? Derek

Derek Lane

AirHaul Airline Alliance

Alright well maybe the answer to this question will fix my issue, For calculating the Vref speed you just line select it in the Approach Ref Page? where you set the flaps in the FMC? Or is there more to this? Derek
No in real life i was in a lot of jumpseats and the pilots dont use their perf calculators for landing, they only set the vref value given by the approach page of the FMS. Normaly they land with flaps 30. But sometimes when they have a short runway or they have to vacate quickly and they are too heavy they use flaps 40. To make the FMC give you the most accurate VREF speed, you have to put accurate values for fuel and ZFW in the PERF page

Prior to reading that other thread the other day, I had been flying my approaches at whatever speed the FMC suggested, ie. normally flaps 30 would indicate somewhere around the same speeds you quoted. So, I started flying them 5 kts slower than what the FMC would indicate and it seems to work out a lot better with about a 2 degree pitch on final at flaps 30, then retarding the throttle at aprx. 25' and I would slightly pitch up to about 4 degrees and settle in nicely.I will say though that when I was using the FMC recommended speed settings for flaps 30 my approaches were a lot of time pretty darn flat, in fact flying the the AP disconnected I was usually below the 3 degree glide slope indicator on the HGS. So for me about 5 kts less that what the FMC calculates seems to have done the trick giving me a better attitude on final as well as eliminating some floating I had when flaring.Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Prior to reading that other thread the other day, I had been flying my approaches at whatever speed the FMC suggested, ie. normally flaps 30 would indicate somewhere around the same speeds you quoted. So, I started flying them 5 kts slower than what the FMC would indicate and it seems to work out a lot better with about a 2 degree pitch on final at flaps 30, then retarding the throttle at aprx. 25' and I would slightly pitch up to about 4 degrees and settle in nicely. I will say though that when I was using the FMC recommended speed settings for flaps 30 my approaches were a lot of time pretty darn flat, in fact flying the the AP disconnected I was usually below the 3 degree glide slope indicator on the HGS. So for me about 5 kts less that what the FMC calculates seems to have done the trick giving me a better attitude on final as well as eliminating some floating I had when flaring. Sean Campbell
VREF is not an APP speed but the speed at which you have to touch the runway. So considering the speed you loose on flare and the wind you have to add at least 5 kts to your VREF during approach. 5kts less is very dangerous, imagine if you have a micro burst.. Your aircraft will stall and crash

Prior to reading that other thread the other day, I had been flying my approaches at whatever speed the FMC suggested, ie. normally flaps 30 would indicate somewhere around the same speeds you quoted. So, I started flying them 5 kts slower than what the FMC would indicate and it seems to work out a lot better with about a 2 degree pitch on final at flaps 30, then retarding the throttle at aprx. 25' and I would slightly pitch up to about 4 degrees and settle in nicely. I will say though that when I was using the FMC recommended speed settings for flaps 30 my approaches were a lot of time pretty darn flat, in fact flying the the AP disconnected I was usually below the 3 degree glide slope indicator on the HGS. So for me about 5 kts less that what the FMC calculates seems to have done the trick giving me a better attitude on final as well as eliminating some floating I had when flaring. Sean Campbell
Very nice pointers Sean.
Your aircraft will stall and crash
Microburst is no problem for my NGX I'm afraid, I EMBRACE MICROBURSTS!

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Microburst is no problem for my NGX I'm afraid, I EMBRACE MICROBURSTS!
The aim of PMDG by releasing a so perfect and realistic addon is to teach you how to fly a real 737 not to invent procedures... Even if you don't have microbursts in FS...As Real As It Gets...