Sign in to follow this  
Paul Deemer

NGX and a Hardware Upgrade?

For several months I been considering upgrading to a core i-5 2500k overclocked and pairing it with a GTX570. Mainly because It would be nice to fly the NGX in Virtual Cockpit mode which I can do when airborne but not on the ground or apporach as it gets too laggy. So currently 85 percent of the time I am running in 2d-panel mode, which I also do for the 747-400X and MD-11X. I currently have a modest configuration of the following hardware. Q6600 Quad Core 2.4 ghz stock / Overclocked at 3.2 ghz8 gig OCZ Reaper Memory8800 GTX with 768 meg GDDR-3 With the above hardware I am able to run GEX, REX, UTX and FS Global 2010 as well as various Airport sceneries from Orbox, FSDT, etc with a variation of High to Ultra-High settings. I have read so many threads about Micro-stuttering, CTDs and people overall unhappy with the fact that they spend quite a bit of money upgrading the latest hardware only to find out FSX does not perform to their expectations. It makes me wonder if Fred might have a valid point about the GTX 200 series cards vs 500 series. It will be around Christmas when I do that i5-2500k upgrade and by that time IVY Bridge might be around so not sure what I will be getting. In the meantime I want to get my 8800GTX Heater out my case and replace it with something cooler running and with a bit more power. I know the Processor is probably being bottle necked by the 8800gtx because at one time I had 2 8800GTX in SLI in there and was able to run Crysis Warhead and Call of Duty 4 at 60 fps. So for the moment I am in a dilema. Do I try and find a used GTX 285, or shoot for a GTX 560ti or 570? Remember this card is going to run on my current system with the NGX until I do the rest of the upgrade later. The primary reason to upgrade is I notice during heavy cloud periods at cruise it starts to bring my FPS down and the 8800gtx is a little bit overwhelmed. Not to mention it was always known for being a toaster. I have a 900 watt OCZ Mod Extreme Power supply so I should have enough power to run any single card configuration. So basically what I am asking, is anyone running the NGX on a non i-5 or i-7 just a quad core at around 3.2 ghz and will a GTX 570 or 560ti run on my particular system until I can upgrade my CPU?

I'm just waiting for NGX to come along and demand for this to be moved to the Hardware forum...
Yeah I figure she will jump on me. But if what I was asking about was specifically hardware related I would have posted it there. But since most people in there probably don't have the NGX this seems like the proper forum to ask for Help as it relates to NGX performance.

Do remember that problems are far more likely to be posted than a lack of problems. A 2500k, 8gb ram & a gtx560ti would be the ideal low-cost fsx computer. As with all pc's, you need to be careful to set it up properly before even installing the ngx.

Do remember that problems are far more likely to be posted than a lack of problems. A 2500k, 8gb ram & a gtx560ti would be the ideal low-cost fsx computer. As with all pc's, you need to be careful to set it up properly before even installing the ngx.
IMHO, be realistically conservative with your settings and with a Sandy + 560ti, you will be very happy. Just don,t make the mistake i made and buy a 2600k if you are only using for FSX.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

the mistake i made and buy a 2600k if you are only using for FSX.
Yes it only for FSX and I did read that hyper threading on the 2600k was a waste of money if you were only using the computer for FSX.

Yes it only for FSX and I did read that hyper threading on the 2600k was a waste of money if you were only using the computer for FSX.
I've the 2500k, I haven't used it yet, waiting on my Motherboard, the anticipation is killing me.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

You probably already know this, but be sure to do all your installations/setups before overclocking. It can sometimes save a lot of trouble later on

As I always tell you on MSN, Paul... do it. GTX 570 now.. it will smooth out those troubles in the clouds, those are directly the card's responsibility, so you will immediately notice a difference there..

I want to ask for your recommendations about CPU upgrade.Currently i have i5 760 OC'ed at 4 Ghz and I get 30 FPS constantly but in lowered scenery settings. I want to upgrade it just to max the settings in FSX.I am thinking to upgrade to i7 2700K. But there's ivy bridge coming in the first half of 2012. What do you think, should i wait for the upcoming ivy bridge or upgrade to i7 2700K right away? Any recommendations?

Murat Okay

Turkish Virtual Airlines

Senior Captain

www.turkishvirtual.com

I've heard that performance vs cost of the new CPUs isn't all that great, but I never bothered to confirm that.I can say that at 4.7ghz my 2600k runs 5996x1080 with undocked panels very well. I've also used a 2500k at 4.6 which was quite satisfactory. Either would be an excellent choice for fsx.

Also, if I want to upgrade to 2700k now, i'll have to change my motherboard too, since it needs 1155 socket.I don't know what type of socket ivy bridge will use but i don't want to change my motherboard once again when they are released. So maybe waiting for the ivybridge, and upgrading both CPU and motherboard when it comes out is a better way to go.

Murat Okay

Turkish Virtual Airlines

Senior Captain

www.turkishvirtual.com

The 2600K does have more cache.

The 2600K does have more cache.
Which is there for the ht