Sign in to follow this  
Chris Catalano

Can't see Runway in 2D when landing - is this an error?

Hi: I really like landing in the 2D cockpit, but I can't seem to see the runway over the glaresheild when landing unless if I switch to the virtal 3d cockpit. It feels as if I am not virtually "tall enough" to see over the instrument panel in 2D. Is this supposed to be this way? Is this the way it really is? Am I doing something wrong? I just can't see the runway when landing in the 2D cockpit... Thanks, Chris Catalano

Hi: I really like landing in the 2D cockpit, but I can't seem to see the runway over the glaresheild when landing unless if I switch to the virtal 3d cockpit. It feels as if I am not virtually "tall enough" to see over the instrument panel in 2D. Is this supposed to be this way? Is this the way it really is? Am I doing something wrong? I just can't see the runway when landing in the 2D cockpit... Thanks, Chris Catalano
It is an FSX problem and is the same with the default MS 737.You could use Control + Q to move your view up.You can also use Control + Shift + Q to move it down.

Easy fix... open the panel.cfg in the 800NGX then adjust this line to suit, I use 5.0.. [VIEWS]VIEW_FORWARD_WINDOWS=MAIN_PANEL,MINIPANELVIEW_FORWARD_DIR=5.000, 0.000, 0.000VIEW_FORWARD_ZOOM=0.8

Jay

Just a tip for 2D-Panel users like me that could not see the runway on approach. Easy fix for that. Go to your FSX folder, Then Simobjects Folder, Then Airplanes Folder, Then PMDG 737-800NGX Folder, Then Panel Folder. Load up the panel.cfg file with windows notepad editor Scroll down until you see [VIEWS] Replace the View_Forward Line with the one below. VIEW_FORWARD_DIR=3.3, 0.0, 0.0 Got those numbers from the PMDG MD-11 panel and it works perfect. You can now see the runway on approach and you can also see your landing lights better on the runway when taking off. Give it a try. You only need to edit that one panel.cfg because the other 3 models of the NGX are aliased to that panel.cfg file you just edited.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Hi: I really like landing in the 2D cockpit, but I can't seem to see the runway over the glaresheild when landing unless if I switch to the virtal 3d cockpit. It feels as if I am not virtually "tall enough" to see over the instrument panel in 2D. Is this supposed to be this way? Is this the way it really is? Am I doing something wrong? I just can't see the runway when landing in the 2D cockpit...
Chris, You may as well to try VC.. I have been a 'Die Hard' 2D guy, but NGX changed me and I will never look back.. the combination of NGX VC + EZDOK is amazing experience that will never let you go back to 2D..

I'm still stick to 2D panel but it's true NGX made me use 3D cockpit more frequently than before.VC is especially useful for taxi and landing but sometimes hard to land with VC. FSX freezes 3~4 seconds just before touchdown when loading demand is high. Anyway using VC is indeed quite fun, but I'm not only 2D but also Short-Cut guy, 2D cockpit is way much EASY to setting an aircraft.Because I don't have TrackIR things, I have to use mouse with Spacebar. It is so uncomfortable I have to move my sight for every single switches.The only moment I change to VC in a choosen 'I'm gonna use 2D for this flight' flight is to set trim and FO CRS, and landing. It would be better see trim value in Lower DU maybe. There's wide blank area.. (well FO CRS is ok because it's only used for LAND 3..)

I'm still stick to 2D panel but it's true NGX made me use 3D cockpit more frequently than before.VC is especially useful for taxi and landing but sometimes hard to land with VC. FSX freezes 3~4 seconds just before touchdown when loading demand is high. Anyway using VC is indeed quite fun, but I'm not only 2D but also Short-Cut guy, 2D cockpit is way much EASY to setting an aircraft.Because I don't have TrackIR things, I have to use mouse with Spacebar. It is so uncomfortable I have to move my sight for every single switches.The only moment I change to VC in a choosen 'I'm gonna use 2D for this flight' flight is to set trim and FO CRS, and landing. It would be better see trim value in Lower DU maybe. There's wide blank area.. (well FO CRS is ok because it's only used for LAND 3..)
i find it alot easier to start and to set up the aircraft using 3d, since using 2d u have to remember is it left click or right click to bring up what panel again, darn it was right click of the mouse

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

i find it alot easier to start and to set up the aircraft using 3d, since using 2d u have to remember is it left click or right click to bring up what panel again, darn it was right click of the mouse
I memorized all the panel number in a 10 seconds since NGX has installed on my box. happy.pngFor me, it's much more faster and tidy than VC. But I'm say saying VC isn't good - I love using 3D as I love 2D.I mean, it is sometimes just handy set aircraft warming up. And.. the most important - frame rate friendly. :)