Sign in to follow this  
RYR738

FMC "HOLDING" Tutorial

I hope a few people find this useful ! I will start with " How To Enter a HOLDING Pattern " at your present position. On the CDU press the HOLD key to show the HOLD page. The HOLD AT line is on the LEGS page. (see pic 1)It shows when the active route does not contain a holding pattern. Select the PPOS prompt to hold at your present position.The HOLD page shows data for a standard holding pattern along your route. The holding fix shows as a present position waypoint. (see pic 2)The airplane turns to start holding immediately after you execute the modification. The initial turn into holding is shown. It uses the airplanes current ground speed.The airplane starts to slow to the target speed. (see pic 3)

is it normal that the NGX doesn't fly the hold very precisely? flys more of an odd egg shape rather than a precise racetrack, I can actually fly it much better by hand, is this something the real NG suffers from?

is this something the real NG suffers from?
No. The real thing does a fine job. Egg shape, huh? Odd.

Matt Cee

Part 2 !! " How To Enter a HOLDING Pattern " at a route waypoint. ATC has instructed me to HOLD at REYES.I would line slect REYES to the scratchpad and then put REYES into the HOLD AT boxes. (see Pic 1) Since REYES is a route waypoint, the FMC puts the holding pattern into the LEGS page with the flight plan course to the fix. (see Pic 2) ATC has also instructed me to use a Left Turn and a 10 mile leg. (see Pic 3)( The default turn was to the right and no leg distance............compare pic's 2 & 3 )

There is some way to make a hold without a waypoint?
See the "PPOS" prompt at 6R? That's what that's for - "present position". It still makes a temporary waypoint there though, you can't have a hold with no waypoint to "anchor" it at all. All the things like the radial, the leg times etc are based on that waypoint.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

See the "PPOS" prompt at 6R? That's what that's for - "present position". It still makes a temporary waypoint there though, you can't have a hold with no waypoint to "anchor" it at all. All the things like the radial, the leg times etc are based on that waypoint.
Ah, I never paid attention to this. Thanks!!

Part 2 !! " How To Enter a HOLDING Pattern " at a route waypoint. ATC has instructed me to HOLD at REYES. I would line slect REYES to the scratchpad and then put REYES into the HOLD AT boxes. (see Pic 1) Since REYES is a route waypoint, the FMC puts the holding pattern into the LEGS page with the flight plan course to the fix. (see Pic 2) ATC has also instructed me to use a Left Turn and a 10 mile leg. (see Pic 3)( The default turn was to the right and no leg distance............compare pic's 2 & 3 )
Sadde6 LAX eh ;p?

Ah, this is great Frederic, thanks! Between you and Simon, you guys really have us covered.

Ah, this is great Frederic, thanks! Between you and Simon, you guys really have us covered.
Thanks and glad you find them helpful ! Fred.

Great tutorial - many thanks. One question, how do you leave the hold when instructed by ATC ? Glen

Glen

Great tutorial - many thanks. One question, how do you leave the hold when instructed by ATC ? Glen
I will be covering that in Part 3 !! Coming soon. Fred.

Part 3. How to " Exit a Holding pattern " ( First method. ) I am holding at the AVE waypoint.In the HOLD page I select the EXIT HOLD prompt. (see Pic 1) After the EXEC key is pushed, the prompt changes to EXIT ARMED and the LNAV route changes to a direct course to the holding fix. (AVE)The airplane turns immediately to the inbound leg, but stays at holding airspeed and altitude. (see Pic 2) At AVE the airplane exits holding and accelerates to cruise airspeed.