Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

The 'Slipery' 800WL?

Is the 800WL really soooooo slipery? So much more than a std 800? Or is it just meShocked.gif I've watched the great videos but, crikey, I'm having REAL problems slowing this baby down.

Is the 800WL really soooooo slipery? So much more than a std 800? Or is it just meShocked.gif I've watched the great videos but, crikey, I'm having REAL problems slowing this baby down.
It is just you. LOL.gif Just start a little earlier. Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

I was coming into SEA on friday and ATC changed my arrival from 16C to 34C and I was at 200 kts at 1000 ft so I had to go around, so no it's not just you. Just plan ahead ;)

I keep getting "please expedite descent" on Vatsim - ATC is clearly used to aircraft being much better at slowing down and descending in the terminal area biggrin.png I like the challenge, though.

Getting this baby down is fast no problem at all. Use Level Change and if your at 38,000 feet and only doing 250 when you start to descend it will try to get up to 330 knots on the way down. It is very strange that the profile in the fmc has a target speed of 330 knots. I never seen any aircraft descend at more than 300 knots. But what you could do is after about 8000 feet or so pull up and level off bleed off some speed then let her dive again. Seems very unrealistic though when you use the level change and it is diving at 4000 to 5000 feet per minute until it gets up to 330 knots then starts being more reasonable. But one thing you will never have to worry about is descending fast enough to please ATC. lol Just get down to whatever altitude they want you at quickly and then you got time to bleed off speed until your at 250 kts.

I too can't see the problem with slowing the NGX. I have always arrived at VRef with plenty of time. Not an issue here.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Paul you must use a high cost index. My normal descent speed in vnav is only 273. I run a cost index of 30 on all flights.

Sean Green

I've yet to try VATSIM... I'm scared of f***ing up =/
Nothing to be scared of. Everyone messes up here and there. On Topic: Yeah it's a little slippery but I never had to go around due to high speeds.

Chris Ferguson

PC Specs(Rebuilt 1/11/19): i7-9700K - Non-OC'd, EVGA RTX 2080ti, G.Skillz 16GB Ram 3000mhz, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w PSU, Cooler Master ML360R, ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 MoBo, 2x 2TB HDD, 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD, 1x 220GB WD SSD

Paul you must use a high cost index. My normal descent speed in vnav is only 273. I run a cost index of 30 on all flights.
Yep, the cost index is what will change the climb and descent speeds. You will descendat 330 knots above 10k if you use a cost index of 80. Climb will be around 320 or so.A cost index of around 40 will give you climbs and descents fairly close to 300 knots.Or at least that's what I've seen so far.M Keith

Getting this baby down is fast no problem at all. Use Level Change and if your at 38,000 feet and only doing 250 when you start to descend it will try to get up to 330 knots on the way down. It is very strange that the profile in the fmc has a target speed of 330 knots. I never seen any aircraft descend at more than 300 knots. But what you could do is after about 8000 feet or so pull up and level off bleed off some speed then let her dive again. Seems very unrealistic though when you use the level change and it is diving at 4000 to 5000 feet per minute until it gets up to 330 knots then starts being more reasonable. But one thing you will never have to worry about is descending fast enough to please ATC. lol Just get down to whatever altitude they want you at quickly and then you got time to bleed off speed until your at 250 kts.
Actually 5000 fpm is not unrealistic, pilots have done it in the real world, If you ease into it the passenger would not feel it that much. I don't have a problem with the descent,I use the FMC calculated profile and I'm always on speed.

Maybe it is an idea to manualy adjust the fmc at a sertain waypoint to let it get there somewhat lower and or slower. I normaly do that with a waypoint that is around fl100. When I fly just a personal hop from a to b I used to use 3x but now better can do 4x the FL numbers to determain when to start desending.(FL300 -0 -> 30x4=120nm away from the airport start the desend) Maikel Rozemeijer.

yeah Ive had the same experience. I was like 300 knots at 8000 feet and it was a hard time slowing down. When the landing gears and flaps came down however the thing really slowed down fast.

I've yet to try VATSIM... I'm scared of f***ing up =/
Don't worry, I've messed up several times, it happens. The other day I was on the inbound to LDSP, Approach gave me a descent, but realised I didn't descent in a rate he anticipated and asked me to confirm my new alt, after that he mentioned he asked because he saw it went slower then expected. I told him it's the PMDG, he understood, let me overshoot the initial apporach course and vectored me with a nice turn to bleed off speed. Most controllers are very nice and always willing to help you out, no problems. And although I try to bleed of speed, by "playing" with my speeds, to get below the calculated descent rate, that doesn't always do the trick once you meet speed restrictions. I now counter this by recalculating TOD myself, and ask for my descent a bit more ahead of time. That way I have more room to jiggle.(untill I encounter alt restrictions) Something I love about this plane, it has it's own character.