Sign in to follow this  
GAJ52

Sudden Wind Change At Altitude

I'm using ASE SP3 build 647 on a networked computer and FSUIPC version 4.712 within FSX. Today I flew from London Gatwick to Edinburgh in the 737NGX. During the climb, approx FL200 I noticed at waypoint EBOTO the wind was 229/09 and TAT -2C, the wind in ASE's Briefing screen said it should be 192/40 at this waypoint. As I climbed towards FL240 it suddenly jumped to 194/41, later in the climb (FL290) it went to 230/9 for a while then jumped again to 195/45 at FL300. It seemed stable during the cruise at FL310, then started jumping again to 229/9 during the descent. This figure 229/09 was the ground level wind at Gatwick. It appears only the wind changes as the temperature remains stable and decreases with altitude as normal. This only started after updating to SP3 and turning the FSUIPC 'Weather Setting Off' after reading this suggestion in another post. I'm basically using Jim's ASE settings in the sticky at the top of this forum (DWC), so all weather is now coming from ASE with everything in FSUIPC turned off. Glen

Glen

Good point, I'll try it with the default FSX 737 and report back. Glen

Glen

Hi Jim Tried the default FSX 737 today and the findings were even worse than with the NGX. I processed the route first in ASE as normal, the departure weather at Gatwick was spot on (EGKK 050820Z 230/12KT 9999 FEW035 15/10 Q1010) and displayed OK. During the climb the TAT reduced as expected but the wind remained the same at 223/13 until FL215 when it shot up to 226/46. At FL 231 it again reduced to 234/13 and stayed there, even at cruise level FL310 - see attatched screen shot. My ASE FSX Options cfg listed below [Options]FSVersion = FSXDynamicRateofChangePercent = 0VATSIMDownloads = FalseAutomaticDownloadInterval = 30AutomaticDownloads = TrueCAVOKCloudGenerationPercent = 0NoDataCloudGenerationPercent = 0CirrusCloudGenerationPercent = 0MaximumCloudLayers = 5MinimumCloudTurbulencePercent = 0MaximumCloudTurbulencePercent = 100MinimumCloudIcingPercent = 0MaximumCloudIcingPercent = 100StratusCloudOccurrencePercent = 0MinimumVisibilitySM = 0MaximumVisibilitySM = 100MaximumUpperVisibilitySM = 60MaximumSurfaceWindSpeed = 200MinimumWindTurbulencePercent = 0MaximumWindTurbulencePercent = 100MinimumWindShearPercent = 0MaximumWindShearPercent = 100DisableWindsAloft = FalseWakeTurbulenceStrength = 100CreateVirtualStations = TrueEnhanceRouteCoverage = TrueDepictHurricanes = TrueEnableSkyScapeMode = FalseUseSkyScapeforStratus = FalseForceHighPriority = TrueUpdateRange = 500EnableWindSmoothing = FalseEnableVisibilityGraduation = TrueEnableFogLayerSimulation = TrueLocalSuppression = TrueSuppressionRange = 200StartupWave = FalseEnableDirectWindControl = TrueShowSimMessages = FalseSupressOnGround = FalseForceDestinationWeatherZone = FalseVoiceATIS = FalseThermalGenerationRatePercent = 100UpandDowndraftGenerationRatePercent = 100MaximumDowndraftRate = 2000MaximumUpdraftThermalRate = 2000DisableHazeLayer = FalseFogLayerGeneration = FalseDatFileOverwriteUserEdit = 0SuppressionCeiling =FSXDepictionMode = DWCPreventFSXCloudRedraws = FalsePreventTstormsWithCB = FalseGraduationCeiling = 20000ForceWindLock = False EDIT : Screen shot wouldn't post ? Glen

Glen

Hi, Settings look good. Please re-set FSUIPC to Default Settings and Weather Settings Off. Also, any other FS software running?

Jim I have been playing around with different scenarios this morning using the default FSX 737. The only other addon I have apart from scenery (UK2000 Airfields) is Aivlasoft's Electronic Flight Box also on the networked computer. I turned this off and restarted FSX, but still had the same problem - wind sticking to the departure ground wind. So the only things running are FSX with default 737 and ASE with the settings above, FSUIPC's weather is OFF confirmed by going through the various weather tabs. Each time I started FSX, I cleared the existing weather by pressing 'Clear all weather' in FSUIPC so I had clear skies and no wind, then started ASE on the networked computer. Once ASE was running, the weather loaded into FSX as normal (very nasty wx in the UK at the moment, high winds and very wet) 240/14 G25, Again during the climb the wind stayed at 240/14, as an experiment at approx FL260 I ticked the FSUIPC 'Wind Smoothing' button and bingo the wind returned to what it should be at that altitude, something like 280/58. I carried out two or three other flights with 'Wind Smoothing' ON and the weather was normal during the climb Whew.gif It appears in my case I need FSUIPC 'Wind Smoothing' selected ON to get the correct winds during climb ?? This problem only occurred in the first place because I saw a comment in another post that most ASE users should have 'Weather Settings Off' in FSUIPC. Just wondering if adding various updates over a period of time has corrupted a ASE file somewhere. Glen

Glen

Hi, What happens if you start ASE first and don't use Wind Smoothing in FSUIPC? No, I don't think it is a file corruption issue.