Sign in to follow this  
Paul Deemer

Best Flight Ever! - Thank You PMDG!

I have flown 25 flights so far and just finished the most enjoyable one just now. Was flying from Dublin Ireland (EIDW) to Athens Greece (LGAV). The reason It was my best flight so far in the NGX was because it was flawless. No issues at all and the aircraft performed exactly as I expected it to. The reason I had not been enjoying it fully was because of some things I was doing wrong. 1) Was setting the cost index like I set my 747-400 and thats too high at 80. Set it to 40 and then the NGX did a more non radical descent at 284 knots instead of 330 like before. 2) I calculated my VREF +5 then added half the wind and all of the gust and subtracted 10. Landed beautifully and no floating at all. Next time I do it that good will make a video. Did not think to turn on FS Recorder this time. So for the critics complaining about the attitude on approach and the flare. Calculate your VREF the way you normally do and subtract 10 knots from your total I flared at like 4-5 degrees with Flaps 40 and it was perfect.

Hi Paul,sorry I can't agree with you: I checked FMC Vref speed vs. Vref contained into the QRH (PI-QRH.30.5 section) they agree each others so fmc elaborated vref are corrected and I add 5 kts (vref+5) as usual, why should I deviate from a SOP just 'cause someone affirm those speeds are wrong? I noted too that ie vs. the real fixed base training B737 simulator I've rented twice NGX floats a little much but it's very difficult to compare exactly why: i.e. in the real sim I acted by a yoke, throttles etc and you know that yoke movements can easily finely adjusted vs. joystick etc...I think the problem is not the computed vref speed (for this good reason I've never modified my aircraft.cfg aerodynamics scalars ecc.)Best RegardsAndrea Buono

Well obviously you have not followed the other threads about this yet, or you would know what I was referring to.

I have flown 25 flights so far and just finished the most enjoyable one just now. Was flying from Dublin Ireland (EIDW) to Athens Greece (LGAV). The reason It was my best flight so far in the NGX was because it was flawless. No issues at all and the aircraft performed exactly as I expected it to.
That's funny! Me on the other hand I've been itching for a flight where things start going 'wrong'. :PI've had many flights with things going according to plan and because I've been using VNAV and have around mostly good weather, it was starting to get a touch boring. I'm thinking of turning on service based failures for the sim to start throwing things my way :)

I always set the cost index @ 25 (think I saw it in an AOA video) never had a drama... I also run ASE as my weather engine and always enter the correct data in the forecast page...

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

I use cost index 25 as well. I think I too got it from one of the AoA videos that came out shortly before NGX release. It has worked out fine so far.

The real world AS flight plans I've used so far call for between CI 15 and 25 depending on the route (except ETOPS which is fixed at .79M). I'm running through a random selection of today's plans as I type this, and many are showing CI 15. I too have noticed that using the lower CI have really allowed the VNAV the calm down a little and produce a very reliable decent profiles especially where tricky speed/alt restrictions apply.

Ryan Syferd (KSEA)